kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

23 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I didn’t think it would fall this badly either. I thought it was fine and enjoyable, and far from the weakest MCU movie in the last year, let alone the entire series.

I'll say it repeatedly it's not an Ant Man film.

Ant Man fans will be deeply disappointed especially the GA who just think their getting more Ant Man hijinks.

Non Ant Man fans aren't suddenly going to go watch Ant Man.

Marvel made a product for no one but their writers room. Problem they have is it looks like The Marvel's is going to have the exact same whiplash.

35 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Guardians is a dead end, a finale to Gunn’s story and won’t deal with the multiverse nonsense.

It might get down by 10-15% in OS-China and remain flat in the DOM market; if this happens, then it will end up doing the same as the first Guardian worldwide. 
290-310 OS-China
45-65 China
390 DOM
725-765M

Edited by Willowra

This shoudnt be surprising. Its called Ant-Man right? Ant-sized box office and an ant-sized multiplier are the logical outcome.

Spoiler

:sparta:

Anyway, terrible for AM3 and the MCU, really seems like the GA now agrees with many fans who felt that Phase 4 was really mediocre and Phase 5 kicked off in the same way. If the next few MCU films are also mediocre, i do think even the next Avengers films wont be the box office behemoths that they were in the past.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, tawasal said:

Reminder. This is what the top 10 worst 2nd weekend drops above 100m opening looks. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

$169,189,427

-72%

$47,422,212

The Twilight Saga: New Moon

$142,839,137

-70%

$42,870,031

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1

$138,122,261

-69.8%

$41,683,574

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

$166,007,347

-69.1%

$51,335,254

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2

$141,067,634

-69.1%

$43,641,448

Thor: Love and Thunder

$144,165,107

-67.7%

$46,632,172

Spider-Man: No Way Home $260,138,569 -67.5% $84,548,505
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi $220,009,584 -67.5% $71,565,498
Suicide Squad $133,682,248 -67.4% $43,536,013
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness $187,420,998 -67% $61,755,804

To not enter the Top 10 Ant-Man would need $34,963,461 (or more) on the weekend.

For entering the top 5 it would need to have a weekend below $32,826,656.

A drop of exactly 70% would be a $31,832,895 2nd weekend.

And to replace HP VIII it would need to do less than $29,741,541.

So we probably will see a new record.

7.7m

13.0m

8.0m

= 28.7m (-73%).

After having an opening weekend 141% larger than that of Uncharted its second weekend would only be 25% larger.

49 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

damn, I guess Antman really does have bad WOM when even adult actresses are shitting on it lol.

Looking at that tweet really drives home for me the idea that I just don't want to rewatch any of these films. NWH is probably the only one I'm tempted to rewatch - I have the extended version on my watchlist on NOW TV but I keep putting it off. For the others, I genuinely can't muster up any kind of desire to rewatch - maybe the first half of Shang-Chi, up to them escaping into whatever realm.

For all the other phases there are movies I can happily settle on if I'm in the mood for cape shit rewatch. Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, GOTG, DS at the very least...

And when you add all the shows, it's just... tiresome. I genuinely feel like watching superhero movies has MOSTLY become a weird chore where I watch it once just because I am enslaved to them and then never again. And it's not exclusively the MCU, but their output being so abundant does mean they are the ones most likely to come up in conversation.

I dunno man, I just want to go back to having a TDK, Logan, Spider-Verse and Avengers team-up every 3-4 years and in-between I can just yell at clouds.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sckathian said:

I'll say it repeatedly it's not an Ant Man film.

Ant Man fans will be deeply disappointed especially the GA who just think their getting more Ant Man hijinks.

Non Ant Man fans aren't suddenly going to go watch Ant Man.

Marvel made a product for no one but their writers room. Problem they have is it looks like The Marvel's is going to have the exact same whiplash.

Marvel was hoping to thread the needle and combine the 2 audiences...instead, they turned most of both of them off.

31m(-70.7%)

Think it will still end up in the 70% drop range if that estimate stick . Still terrible but 73% could have been legendary.

In the end this will manage to go past 230m dom and 500m ww.

Yeah but one thing for sure is that is going to be MCU biggest second weekend drop .

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But will the GA know that?  The trailer seems to have a resurrected Gamora, and last the GA knew, she's dead.  So, for GA, wouldn't this likely have to be more multiverse shenanigans (yes, I know it doesn't have to be...but I read comics)...

What multiverse shenanigans are you talking about. The Gamora in GOTG3 is the Gamora from Endgame.