kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

59 minutes ago, european1992 said:

Everyone keeps mentioning phases of the MCU movies but folks are actually not aware of that stuff because it feels like there hasn't been a time in the past 10 years that a Marvel movie wasn't playing. So if they truly do not want to become too boring, they should make a longer break. They will obviously not do that.

I want to push back on this: people may or may not know the phrase "phase x" but that's irrelevant because, in practice, it was identical to "before/after Avengers film ___." "Phase 2" doesn't have to be called phase 2 to be powered by "sequels to the characters from Avengers 1."

Post-Endgame as a public concept is really no different from "post the invasion of New York City." Both as easily known bits of mainstream pop culture. Marvel's branding problem for "phase V" is that "we released an Ant-Man movie and are about to release sequels to pre-Endgame films" just doesn't sell "this is a new period" in the way an Avengers film does so any marketing impact will be muted. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Ya. I wasn’t aware of this stuff until Phase 4 when my interest in the series was growing. It’s clearly just a marketing term right now. There’s no real distinction between a lot of phases.

I’d argue you could split it into two phases all together - Infinity Stone saga and then ‘after’ Infinity Stone saga. 

The Infinity Saga phases are (mostly) naturally defined by the Avengers movies.

The multiverse saga phases basically seem to be totally meaningless

1 hour ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

The Infinity Saga phases are (mostly) naturally defined by the Avengers movies.

The multiverse saga phases basically seem to be totally meaningless

It would be hard to convince me out of the idea that they saw Wakanda Forever as a way to wrap a more positive bow on Phase IV and attempt to change the narrative. I read the Fiege interview pre-Ant-Man and it's notable to me how there's really no strong marketing answer provided for defining phase 4 v. phase 5 when this sort of stuff is what he's always great at providing. 

I really do wonder if everyone's downplaying the impact of production problems here, starting with karma for firing James Gunn? If Gunn was never fired, GotG would be a 2020 film and it was being sold, pre-Gunn's firing, as setting up more "cosmic" stories. So when Gunn was fired in mid 2018, it looks like the Phase 4 plan was vaguely:

SM:FFH -> GotG3 -> Black Widow -> Shang Chi -> Eternals ->Strange -> Spider-Man: Kraven (if they had even thought that far ahead) -> Thor 4 -> Black Panther 2

with Captain Marvel 1 yet to be released. So that's mostly just a focus on "strange new worlds" with some post-endgame stuff (but most of that relegated to secondary characters on tv). That doesn't tell us what the next avengers threat would be but "GotG -> Eternals -> Strange ->  Thor 4" easily lets you use massive established franchises to tease whatever the new big event will be if it has a cosmic focus. 

Did Gunn's firing cause a 2019 pivot to the multiverse which was then sold as the heart of Phase IV (with a 6 months of content in 2021 crammed with multiversal content) with Marvels and Ant-Man also adding Multiversal elements during their early production in 2019/2020? 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

I don't think the GA in general has any idea about 'Phases'. That is mainly just for the fanboys and super-cinema types.

For the GA it is just a string of Marvel movies that appear to be less well liked in general than earlier Marvel movies (based on Cinemascore)

The issue for Marvel movies right now is the same one that afflicts Star Wars, DCEU and Potterverse. It isn't enough for them to be just profitable. Marvel and Disney rely on these movies to be extremely profitable so they can use that money to make more movies. As the production costs continue to increase and revenue decreases it squeezes those profits where it no longer makes financial sense to be churning out new movies at the same rate. 

Marvel is not in the same place as those 3 IP's, but it is trending in that direction. Marvel needs to take some time and think about what it is doing and what changes they may need to make so they don't become like those other IP's.

• Like 1