filmlover

Best Actress Predictions: 2023

Best Actress feels weaker than Best Actor at this time. Actor has an abundance of heavy hitters in play, including Cooper, DiCaprio, Majors, and Murphy, while there’s a smaller amount of actress contenders we know about going into this year. But there are enough contenders to make this category interesting to predict.

Emily Blunt (Oppenheimer) and Carey Mulligan (Maestro) are co-starring with their films’ big stars, but we don’t know if they’re campaigning for lead or supporting, so I’ve decided not to predict them yet.

As of now, I’m going with:

Fantasia Barrino, The Color Purple

- lead in a big musical

Annette Bening, Nyad
   - she plays a woman who swims from Cuba to Florida, and the film is directed by the people who did Free Solo and The Rescue

Greta Lee, Past Lives

- potentially a big push from A24

Margot Robbie, Barbie

- she’s about to elevate an already great film

Saoirse Ronan, The Outrun

- she plays an alcoholic; the film is from the director of The Unforgivable with Sandra Bullock

Edited by SLAM!

10 hours ago, SLAM! said:

Emily Blunt (Oppenheimer) and Carey Mulligan (Maestro) are co-starring with their films’ big stars, but we don’t know if they’re campaigning for lead or supporting, so I’ve decided not to predict them yet.

The early details for Maestro hinted that it's just as much about Bernstein's marriage as it is about his career, so it all depends on if the movie really ends up being The BCoop Show or if Mulligan (who is also clearly in a supporting role in the new Emerald Fennell movie and might just go Lead here to double her chances for a nom) is part of a package deal.

• Like 1

If The Color Purple delivers, I think Barrio's easily the frontrunner. The role has won a Tony in both its original and revival runs, and her eleven o'clock number is a HUGE emotional wallop. Of course, so did Ben Platt for Dear Evan Hansen, but early word on this feels a lot more promising.

• Like 1