filmlover

Best Supporting Actor Predictions: 2023

1. Ryan Gosling, Barbie

2. Robert DeNiro, Flower Moon

3. John Magaro, Past Lives

4. Samuel L. Jackson, The Piano Lesson

5. Teo Yoo, Past Lives (guessing they push him Supporting?)

Weird category so far. Ruled out Dafoe after the release date announcement

Watch out for:

Austin Butler, Dune 2

Matt Damon, Oppenheimer

Glenn Howerton, Blackberry

Charles Melton, May December

Paul Mescal, Strangers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know if Piano Lesson makes it this year, didn't it just finish filming?

One of the Saltburn guys will make it IMO and probably Domingo for Color Purple.

Still is, I think. FWIW Fences (fellow August Wilson adaptation) began filming in late April and wrapped by mid June of that year and made it to a year-end release so it's possible it makes it to this year but between Netflix already having a lot on their plate (Maestro, May December, Rustin) and the inevitable production backlog from the strike extending to Netflix (no matter how much they claim they're good to last the strike for as long as can be), I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up in next year.

• Like 2

Growing increasingly confident in Gosling taking this

Major and/or previously nominated/unrewarded Leading star going scene-stealing Supporting in a major hit ala Brad Pitt. (Other comps would be Christian Bale, George Clooney though major might be pushing it). But comedic performances tend to do better in Supporting: Janney, Whoppi, Tomei, Sorvino, Gielund, Kline, Palance, Cuba Gooding Jr..

• Like 2

Not going to say what's possible or not since it's July and we have no idea how long the strike will last and what its impact will be but I wouldn't be surprised if in the event Oppenheimer truly takes off and becomes a Top 5 contender that a narrative forms around RDJ that will make him hard to beat. Vibes similar to Brad Pitt and a Movie Star Oscar Moment, and a solid feel good tale considering he returned from a series of career-derailing personal issues to becoming arguably one of the biggest stars in the world.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not going to say what's possible or not since it's July and we have no idea how long the strike will last and what its impact will be but I wouldn't be surprised if in the event Oppenheimer truly takes off and becomes a Top 5 contender that a narrative forms around RDJ that will make him hard to beat. Vibes similar to Brad Pitt and a Movie Star Oscar Moment, and a solid feel good tale considering he returned from a series of career-derailing personal issues to becoming arguably one of the biggest stars in the world.

I don't think RDJ's role/performance is as actor friendly as Pitt's at all. That was a classic QT character.

I'm thinking the scenario would be Gosling gets the SAG and RDJ gets the BAFTA.

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think RDJ's role/performance is as actor friendly as Pitt's at all. That was a classic QT character.

I'm thinking the scenario would be Gosling gets the SAG and RDJ gets the BAFTA.

After Jamie Lee Curtis just won an Oscar for that wacky character that was as far removed from what usually wins, "actor friendly" seems rather subjective lol.

A potential RDJ/Gosling/De Niro showdown is quite exciting! Hopefully the studios get their shit together and get the industry back up and running well before the time comes when they will need to begin making their FYCs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

After Jamie Lee Curtis just won an Oscar for that wacky character that was as far removed from what usually wins, "actor friendly" seems rather subjective lol.

A potential RDJ/Gosling/De Niro showdown is quite exciting! Hopefully the studios get their shit together and get the industry back up and running well before the time comes when they will need to begin making their FYCs.

Jamie Lee Curtis was in the Best Picture winner that also won 2 other acting awards and SAG Ensemble. The industry and especially actors loved that film and she campaigned heavily which a lot of actors will suffer from this year. She was at least wacky and did stunts and cried in the movie.

Of course Oppenheimer can emerge as a major contender but I don't think it'll have the same level of broad support, especially from actors. 

• Like 1

First official stab at predictions:

Matt Damon, Oppenheimer

Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon

Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer

Ryan Gosling, Barbie

Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things

Have a feeling the sheer power of Oppenheimer is gonna will it into being a double nominee in this category. Alternative is Dominic Sessa pulling a Lucas Hedges if The Holdovers really does become a major contender.

• Like 1

Updated predictions:

Willem Dafoe, Poor Things

Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon

Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer

Ryan Gosling, Barbie

Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things

Think Poor Things will have enough strength for double nominations here unless The Holdovers ends up a top contender to the point that Dominic Sessa enters the field. Charles Melton feels pretty much done after missing both SAG and the BAFTA shortlist and Sterling K. Brown's SAG nomination is giving "random nomination that ultimately doesn't make the cut" vibes.