kayumanggi

BARBIE | 809.4M overseas | 1445.6M worldwide

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

It's not like everything american has to be a success everywhere or it needs like a social analysis at any cost. Japanese just didn't care (as for a lot of western movies...it's not the first time a big success in the Us it's a no factor in japan or in some asian countries...sometimes even in north america or europe... and comedy in particular it's when this happens more often".

I think you didn't read the context well. The Professor expected Japan Performance to be similar with China - but "celebration of diversity and the message of female empowerment will be overpowered by its association with the atomic bomb". 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/commentary/2023/08/23/japan/barbie-japan/

Anyways, talking into it's success it's doing pretty well in Urban Centre, did show +ve on those region (increase on 2nd Weekend) - though Demography wise its leaning more into Foreigners. (36% 1st Weekend, 42% 2nd Weekend 37% &3rd Weekend)

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Why is the ‘Barbie’ movie bombing in Japanese theaters?

The “Barbie” movie could start a conversation in this country, I thought. Or it might at least inspire my daughter.

When I mentioned the film, my daughter made a face. She had seen a “Barbenheimer” graphic online — an image of Barbie and Ken backed by a mushroom cloud in the distance. Just days before, the nation had observed the 78th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The joint promotion of the “Barbie” movie and “Oppenheimer,” which has not been released in Japan, was regarded in poor taste and did not go over well here.

Nevertheless, I convinced her to go to the movie, explaining that it had nothing to do with the creator of the atomic bomb. Dressed in pink, we made our way to the theater where there wasn’t a single Barbie poster on display in the lobby. A dubbed version was scheduled for three showings a day, the first at the unlikely and inconvenient hour of 8 a.m.

While a recent Reuters article reported that “fans flocked to the theatrical release,” when we entered the theater at 6 p.m. on a Friday — opening day — for the English-language version, only about 10 other people were in the screening room. American and Canadian friends in Kyoto and Fukuoka also reported seeing the film in nearly empty theaters. Some American friends had no idea that the film was even showing in Japan. I only knew because I did a web search.

Ultimately, the opening day of the “Barbie” movie was a nonevent, at least in rural Japan there was no pink box for photos, no other viewers dressed in pink.

I believe that the movie’s failure to catch on has more to do with that “Barbenheimer” meme. At least one Japanese woman has confided to me that she stayed away for that reason.

But for the most part, it looks as if the “Barbie” movie’s celebration of diversity and the message of female empowerment will be overpowered by its association with the atomic bomb — and that the movie won’t have a positive, lasting impact in Japan. What a shame.

So it's missing 1.5B because of that one random reply from the Barbie US Twitter account to a Barbenheimer meme?

Barbie Angry GIF - Barbie Angry Ugh - Discover & Share GIFs

41 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

So it's missing 1.5B because of that one random reply from the Barbie US Twitter account to a Barbenheimer meme?

Personally, I don't think it would have done particularly well in Japan either way, it's mostly doing well in the West.

Edited by Bob Train

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

it flopped in south korea, before it was released in japan so i dont think it would be hit without this meme, earky tracking for barbie wasnt great, so it may lost some money because of this meme, nut i dont think with this money it would be over 1.5