kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | April 28 - 30 | Weekend Actuals | 40.84M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 12.13M EVIL DEAD RISE | 5.10M RETURN OF THE JEDI

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Frozen 2 was also a sequel to a massive breakout there, so is all but guaranteed to be way more frontloaded. 

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

What I’m saying is an opening like this for a Hollywood film that isn’t even a sequel in 2023 is a massive sign of interest. If the interest is there, then great WOM would make it explode. It’s a great sign at the least, now it’s up to what WOM looks like. 

Every time you talk about Mario potential the way you write makes it looks like it´s not something super privileged in the market because it isn´t a sequel, almost like it´s similar to an original movie. And while it is a first movie, it´s also one based on possibly the most popular game of all time, it really isn´t that different than a sequel of a successful first movie.

And it´s also based on a Japanese game, something they love for decades, of course they have interest because of this alone... why Frozen 2 would necesseraly be more frontloaded than this? They all know what a Mario movie most likely will be, just like they know what to expect from a Frozen movie, there´s no surprise here for WOM turn into insanity like something original. I do think Mario can have better legs because it´s a better movie, but that´s it.

To be clear, i´m not saying this to dimish it´s numbers, it´s having an amazing run, on the upper side of what´s possible for a hyped movie. It´s just not in a worse situation than a sequel.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2