kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | April 28 - 30 | Weekend Actuals | 40.84M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 12.13M EVIL DEAD RISE | 5.10M RETURN OF THE JEDI

Was busy yesterday so I just saw he numbers this morning.   So Congrats to "Mario" Biggest Video Game Movie Ever.   Will probably hold that record until the Sequel sometime down the line.  Where does Mario go from here?  Were clearly past 1.1 Billion so now are we talking 1.2.1.3?  How high can it go?  "EDR" is showing why  horror/suspense can really be bankable with a decent budget it has.   Same with what the "Scream" series is doing right now. 

Congrats to "JW4" on 400 WW.   Also to the one and only.  "Return of the Jedi" is back on the Box office Charts 40 Years Later.  Unbelievable.  "Empire" Also returned during the Pandemic.   "Star Wars' Re-releases always make some bank. OG Fans want to experience it again, and a new generation of fan want see the originals for the first time in the theater.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, datpepper said:

If Lionsgate keeps the title, a theatrical release increases the value of said movie for licensing, even if it flops. With how much streamers are cutting down their spending, it was unlikely that any of them would buy the movie outright from Lionsgate, or they wouldn't offer enough to make it worthwhile. Additionally, Lionsgate doesn't have a streaming service of their own that's on the level of their competitors, and from what I've read, they frequently pre-sell foreign distribution rights to their titles to offset production costs. For a $30m production from them, I think it was still worth a shot sending it to theaters.

This is true the days of throwing around 200 million for a netflix movie are over. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

SLAM DUNK will break a lot of records in North America. Here's the trailer!

Slam Dunk doesn't have much popularity in NA. Won't do as well as something like Dragon Ball or Demon Slayer

5 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Actuals are out now, and looks like Universal overestimated Mario's opening in Japan. Frozen 2 still holds the Hollywood animated opening record, but Mario will gain quite a bit of ground on that comp with the huge holiday week ahead. 

Frozen 2 was also a sequel to a massive breakout there, so is all but guaranteed to be way more frontloaded. 

Mario should be pretty safe for 75+ in japan, will need to see how it goes after GW ends to project any further, especially the weekdays since it has no holiday support until the summer after this ends. Beating frozen2 in yen is possible but by no means a lock. In USD pretty unlikely still but we'll see how legs go.

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

My audience was 75% full and really into ROTJ. Jedi will very likely end up being the best movie released in theaters this May for me, and it's a freaking rerelease.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Mario should be pretty safe for 75+ in japan, will need to see how it goes after GW ends to project any further, especially the weekdays since it has no holiday support until the summer after this ends. Beating frozen2 in yen is possible but by no means a lock. In USD pretty unlikely still but we'll see how legs go.

I think you’re underestimating how big of a deal it is for a non-sequel Hollywood film to open like this in Japan these days, even during GW. To me that very much indicates one of those crazy leggy runs that only happen at the Japanese BO. But we’ll see. 

On 4/30/2023 at 6:05 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Absolutely massive start in Japan, took down Frozen 2s opening (and 2x Frozen 1). If Mario has legs like non-sequel Japanese breakouts can often have, this is going to be an extremely exciting box office run there. Knew Japan was gonna show up for such a cultural icon. 

Claiming credit when you thought it had DS potential and like 200M floor in japan is in pretty poor taste :redcapes:

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Claiming credit when you thought it had DS potential and like 200M floor in japan is in pretty poor taste :redcapes:

I said I wouldn’t rule out DS as a ceiling, that was never my actual prediction. And yes, I’m still in on 200+. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think you’re underestimating how big of a deal it is for a non-sequel Hollywood film to open like this in Japan these days, even during GW. To me that very much indicates one of those crazy leggy runs that only happen at the Japanese BO. But we’ll see. 

I can't be underestimating because I am not estimating. I said it's possible. By no means is it a lock. Yokai Watch opened higher than mario back in 2014 when it broke the japanese OW record (much higher in admits even). Did not even reach 9b yen.

Can it break out, maybe. But 1.8b OW does not lock you for higher than 10b (and if we want to go there it does not even necessarily lock you for that but with GW helping out the numbers I would be shocked if mario missed). It's a bit weird to pretend mario is an original as well. Nothing is indicating a crazy leggy run so far since the legs haven't even started yet!! We are on day 4.