kayumanggi

THE WILD ROBOT | 09.27.2024 | Universal | Chris Sanders to direct | official trailer 2 on page 7

@Flip was suggesting $5mil Thursday previews in the tracking thread at last update, which would be... outstanding for a September animated movie. No bites at the relatively presale driven theater nearby that I usually track, although there are some Friday sales.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

@Flip was suggesting $5mil Thursday previews in the tracking thread at last update, which would be... outstanding for a September animated movie. No bites at the relatively presale driven theater nearby that I usually track, although there are some Friday sales.

$5M?! 🤯That's much better than I was expecting! I remember a few weeks ago when this was being tracked for a $25-30M OW at the most.

• Like 1

Still early ofc and there was a big promotional blitz yesterday which may have temporarily inflated the sale pace. All the stars definitely seem to be aligning as much as they can for this movie though.

Also apparently the book series is now #1 on the NYT again

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

That's great to hear! I've been really looking forward to the movie since the 1st trailer back in March and am really hoping people go support it financially as much as possible, especially since it'll be the final DreamWorks movie to be fully animated in-house at Glendale.

1 hour ago, WebSurfer said:

Not a whole lot really, the movie looks like it's toning down on a few things like the climax and the ending.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Robot

is the plot synopsis here just copied from the book? Cus if this is the synopsis of the movie I’ll cry my fuckin eyes out so idek how kids would react 

5 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Robot

is the plot synopsis here just copied from the book? Cus if this is the synopsis of the movie I’ll cry my fuckin eyes out so idek how kids would react 

Nope

That doesn’t happen in the book, it’s close though.

Edited by WebSurfer

28 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

SO THE BOOK IS SADDER?!

Eh .... it doesn't end the way I expect, but then you remember there's another 2 books.

Actually reading that synopsis, one thing that happens in the movie seems to be more realistic than the book by far.

Edited by Morieris

Little curious on how the overall reception will end up for this. It feels like not a whole lot of critics saw this at TIFF when compared to other films.

Based on early reactions, it seems like there’ll be three types of reviews for this movie. Those that really liked it whether or not they enjoyed certain portions of the film, those that find it generic or cheesy, or those that think it would’ve been better if there was no dialogue.

Reading the movie synopsis, they kept some of the ending of the first book and appear to pull in a bit of the 2nd book. But the stuff they pull in is just not what happens in the 2nd book at all.

The first book ending is very sad. The 2nd book is great, with a few great moments, but overall a slight step down from the first. Haven't started the 3rd book yet.