XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

40 minutes ago, Willowra said:

reshoot 2/3rd of Cap4, which will cost them another 150m

Completely made up. There is no source on this. All the credible reports say they're reshooting action scenes, not the entire movie.

And again, we got to keep the discussion of The Marvels to the fucking Marvels thread, because we cannot keep repeating the same two arguments at the same time in separate threads.

Edited by SpiderByte

20 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Completely made up. There is no source on this. All the credible reports say they're reshooting action scenes, not the entire movie.

And again, we got to keep the discussion of The Marvels to the fucking Marvels thread, because we cannot keep repeating the same two arguments at the same time in separate threads.

Ok, if the rumor of extensive reshoot is false, you can minus 150m, but still, they have been forced to push this movie to 2025 because of The Marvels. If Cap4 had retained its May release date, it would have been flopped next year too, and then DP3 would have underperformed, and then no one would have given shit about Thunderbolts in December.
This is the Marvel general thread; people can converse about any Marvel character/movie here.

7 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Ok, if the rumor of extensive reshoot is false, you can minus 150m, but still, they have been forced to push this movie to 2025 because of The Marvels. If Cap4 had retained its May release date, it would have been flopped next year too, and then DP3 would have underperformed, and then no one would have given shit about Thunderbolts in December.
This is the Marvel general thread; people can converse about any Marvel character/movie here.

The reshoots are happening. There is no evidence of it costing 150 million or being 2/3rds of the movie like you're claiming.

All your arguments rely on things that have absolutely zero connection to actual box office performance. Captain Marvel didn't appear every year after her movie came out, so it was doomed, but nobody's saying Deadpool 3 is doomed because Jackman and Reynolds didn't regularly come back, especially since they were gone longer than Captain Marvel was. Your arguments are just bad.

Edited by SpiderByte

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The reshoots are happening. There is no evidence of it costing 150 million or being 2/3rds of the movie like you're claiming.

All your arguments rely on things that have absolutely zero connection to actual box office performance. Captain Marvel didn't appear every year after her movie came out, so it was doomed, but nobody's saying Deadpool 3 is doomed because Jackman and Reynolds didn't regularly come back, especially since they were gone longer than Captain Marvel was. Your arguments are just bad.

Not every character can be like Deadpool or Spider-Man; most MCU characters need to be established through cross-over films. There was a huge difference in the popularity of Thor, Cap, and Hulk before The Avengers (2012), and after The Avengers and their sequels got benefited by that. Even Iron Man 3 benefited from Tony being fully established in the MCU through The Avengers (2012).

I don't think lack of Carol in other projects since Endgame (and even then it was a very small role) is the key factor in this sub franchise going from $1billion to what it is now, but I also think it would have been a good idea. If Strange had had nothing between DS1 and MOM then I doubt I'd have bothered to go and see it in theatres. And despite her movie making a massive amount of money and the hype around the first Marvel female lead film, she never entered pop culture in the way that Iron Man did in 2008. 

Perhaps giving her a role in GOTG 3 or Thor 4 (or have Thor or some of the Guardians join CM2) might have helped. You could also show off her personality more, which didn't happen in CM because she had amnesia for much of it and was barely in Endgame. It probably wouldn't have saved it from underperforming given all the other factors but it *might* have mitigated the affect of not seeing Carol for so many projects (and pre pandemic which seems a lifetime ago to a lot of people). I also agree with those who say it's not necessarily only years absent that matter but the sheer number of things that have come out since we last saw her. Makes it tricky, especially when introducing 2 other characters most of the audience won't know. 

I'm not sure that there was any one big factor, but lots of different ones, including just complete lack of interest. 

I am rewatching the MCU currently and just finished Endgame. Carol has loads of personality in her first film. The films writing is overly heavy handed, but Brie makes it work. She needed more time in Endgame for sure, as it focused WAY too much on Hawkeye. But her fight with Thanos was dope as hell, as was her entrance to the fight. The issue the MCU has now is there is no team. We had a decade of buildup with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Guardians. Then they sprinkled in their huge moneymaker Spider-Man, and struck gold with Black Panther. Nobody actually cared about Ant-Man, but his supporting cast made the first two films. Dr Strange 2 got boosted by Spider-Man NWH/Wanda. But the MCU has to build from scrap again, WITHOUT RDJ/Evans. It's clearly not easy, and they haven't found what they need yet.

Also, I know they're cringe... but good GOD did the Russo's save this franchise from Whedon. (ditto Markus/McFeely) AND the MCU had an insane run of GOTG2, Homecoming, Ragnarok, Black Panther, Infinity War.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I am rewatching the MCU currently and just finished Endgame. Carol has loads of personality in her first film. The films writing is overly heavy handed, but Brie makes it work. She needed more time in Endgame for sure, as it focused WAY too much on Hawkeye. But her fight with Thanos was dope as hell, as was her entrance to the fight. The issue the MCU has now is there is no team. We had a decade of buildup with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Guardians. Then they sprinkled in their huge moneymaker Spider-Man, and struck gold with Black Panther. Nobody actually cared about Ant-Man, but his supporting cast made the first two films. Dr Strange 2 got boosted by Spider-Man NWH/Wanda. But the MCU has to build from scrap again, WITHOUT RDJ/Evans. It's clearly not easy, and they haven't found what they need yet.

Also, I know they're cringe... but good GOD did the Russo's save this franchise from Whedon. (ditto Markus/McFeely) AND the MCU had an insane run of GOTG2, Homecoming, Ragnarok, Black Panther, Infinity War.

Yeah Spiderman is huge on this own but there was a lot of cyncism over a third spiderman version in less then 15 years. 

Iron Man being in the first movie was a massive boost to Spiderman Homecoming. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

Finally watched Ant Man. I didn't think it was that bad but there were some easy (and obvious) changes to be made.

Have a connection to the outside so previous Ant Man alumni are present and grounding the thing. They have ear pieces - this should be EASY.

Keep the OG ending. Scott being trapped behind makes much more sense and I think this is a good example of a studio over meddling. I wouldn't even kill Kang, I would have him trapped with Kang and have that the cliffhanger. The actual ending is awful and Scott's thoughts out loud are just terrible story telling, basically he tells you the whole film because they had no confidence in it.

DUMP THE REBELS. They have no character and are just Rick and Morty nonsense which is fine a week for 20 mins but no 2 hours+. Just bring the ants in earlier. It's not fucking difficult.

Done. Sorted. Pre production decisions remain Marvels biggest issue. MODOK doesn't need cut he just needs proper discussion of how he looks and TESTING IN PRE PRODUCTION.

20 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

All Releases

DOMESTIC (41.6%)
$82,940,438
INTERNATIONAL (58.4%)
$116,456,624
WORLDWIDE
$199,397,062

RIP. A $343M raw drop from Captain Marvel's $426M. It managed to beat Force Awakens to Last Jedi ($316M) for the biggest raw sequel drop domestically. 

Btw just saying but The Marvels hasn't ended its run yet. Disney have chosen not to report them but eventually numbers will trickle in.

So it's not final yet. It should end its run just after new years, normally. 

Now, could be nothing, just celebs/producers hanging out...but keep in mind the last time Feige was involved with Star Trek crew it was because he pulled the rug under Paramount to poach their latest team to take a crack at a movie to make Fantastic Four. If Paramount doesn't want to do Legacy...

Edited by SpiderByte

They sure are dragging their feet with the next Tom Holland Spider-Man movie. I’ve already said before that I’d be perfectly fine if they don’t make another one, but I know Sony obviously wants that train to keep going, so they might want to hurry up. Tom Holland and Zendaya aren’t getting any younger. 

Speaking of which, apparently someone uploaded the entirety of NWH (original cut) onto YouTube a week ago, and it has yet to be taken down. That’s pretty unusual to say the least. 

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They sure are dragging their feet with the next Tom Holland Spider-Man movie. I’ve already said before that I’d be perfectly fine if they don’t make another one, but I know Sony obviously wants that train to keep going, so they might want to hurry up. Tom Holland and Zendaya aren’t getting any younger. 

Well, Sony also legally has to make a new live action Spider-Man movie every I think six years max or else they lose the franchise so it will happen.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Well, Sony also legally has to make a new live action Spider-Man movie every I think six years max or else they lose the franchise so it will happen.

Technically, all those Spider-Man villain movies do count as Spider-Man movies per their contract, so in theory, they do still have plenty of time. You’d just think they’d want to strike while the iron is hot. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

does stuff like Madame Web, V3NOM, and Kraven count or is it only mainline ones?

believe no. But it's not like they can lose rights to individual Spider characters, it's like the X-Men where it's all under one umbrella. 

Per Joanna Robinson, the exact deal is "Sony must commence production on a new "Spider-Man" film within three years, nine months and release it within five years, nine months after the release of preceding picture. " So they need to start production by September 2025 and release it by September 2027.

I'm also pretty sure Spider-Verse doesn't count, at least for the live action rights.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

believe no. But it's not like they can lose rights to individual Spider characters, it's like the X-Men where it's all under one umbrella. 

Per Joanna Robinson, the exact deal is "Sony must commence production on a new "Spider-Man" film within three years, nine months and release it within five years, nine months after the release of preceding picture. " So they need to start production by September 2025 and release it by September 2027.

My understanding is that they do count. Sony is only allowed to make them because of their Spider-Man contract, so why wouldn’t they? As far as I’m aware, their contract doesn’t claim that Spider-Man’s name has to be in the title for it to count.