XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

My understanding is that they do count. Sony is only allowed to make them because of their Spider-Man contract, so why wouldn’t they? As far as I’m aware, their contract doesn’t claim that Spider-Man’s name has to be in the title for it to count. 

Given how specific the contracts are, I think it at least needs to be a live action movie with Spider-Man in the title. Stuff like these don't have many loopholes, there's a stipulation that the black suit has to be a symbiote, that Peter Parker can't be gay but a different hypothetical future Spider-Man who isn't Peter can (Peter and Spider-Man are considered "separate characters" legally), if it says a Spider-Man film I dont think Madame Web cuts it.

Edited by SpiderByte

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Given how specific the contracts are, I think it at least needs to be a live action movie with Spider-Man in the title. Stuff like these don't have many loopholes, there's a stipulation that the black suit has to be a symbiote.

I would think the contract must be pretty flexible, given that Sony is allowed to use characters like Miles Morales, even though they were created long after they initially purchased the rights. 

What If season 2 reactions are in and all very positive. Sounds like the Christmas episode comes up real early, one of the first two. Though neither is the original first episode that they showed a (from all reports completed?) screening of at SDCC. Though I guess with an anthology the order doesn't super matter.

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I would think the contract must be pretty flexible, given that Sony is allowed to use characters like Miles Morales, even though they were created long after they initially purchased the rights. 

Got a feeling Sony was careful to include the right to use any new charecters in the Spidey comics for their films in the original contract. Things like that is what they pay their lawyers their big salaries for.

It's sounding like Eyes of Wakanda is both the old Ryan Coogler Wakanda show and also the Okoye project that was also rumored, since she reportedly appears in the footage that was screened.

Freshman Years full new title is also apparently Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, which gives me lots of My Adventures With Superman energy which makes me incredibly excited.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 10:03 PM, SpiderByte said:

believe no. But it's not like they can lose rights to individual Spider characters, it's like the X-Men where it's all under one umbrella. 

Per Joanna Robinson, the exact deal is "Sony must commence production on a new "Spider-Man" film within three years, nine months and release it within five years, nine months after the release of preceding picture. " So they need to start production by September 2025 and release it by September 2027.

I'm also pretty sure Spider-Verse doesn't count, at least for the live action rights.

Here is a summary of the documents she'd be referencing through 2011/2015 admendments. 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvel-sony-spiderman-contracts.13589/

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

Got a feeling Sony was careful to include the right to use any new charecters in the Spidey comics for their films in the original contract. Things like that is what they pay their lawyers their big salaries for.

Yeah, 

Myles Morales seems covered under "The “Spider-Man” character, “Peter Parker” and essentially all existing and future alternate versions, iterations, and alter egos of the “SpiderMan” character." or "All newly created characters and other Creative Elements that first appear in a work that is titled or branded with “Spider-Man” or in which “Spider-Man” is the main protagonist (but not including any teamup work featuring both Spider-Man and another major Marvel character that isn’t part of the Spider-Man Property)."

On 12/11/2023 at 10:14 PM, SpiderByte said:

Given how specific the contracts are, I think it at least needs to be a live action movie with Spider-Man in the title. Stuff like these don't have many loopholes, there's a stipulation that the black suit has to be a symbiote, that Peter Parker can't be gay but a different hypothetical future Spider-Man who isn't Peter can (Peter and Spider-Man are considered "separate characters" legally), if it says a Spider-Man film I dont think Madame Web cuts it.

I've never seen an actual reporter or lawyer weigh in but I actually don't think that's true based on the wikileaks stuff. The definition of "picture" includes all characters Sony has access to.

Remember, when Sony initially bought these rights, no one thought there was a lot of value in a stand alone Kraven the Hunter film especially because these films (at least historically) had to meet high budgetary minimums to qualify.

A new synopsis for an in development animated project:

"UNTITLED MARVEL ANIMATED SHOW

They mention Anime as an influence on this show.

Mention it will have a diverse group of leads. Logline: A clandestine group of ancient cosmic beings living undercover on Earth are trying to protect the world without being discovered by humans. They find themselves entangled in a cosmic battle that could reshape the fate of the universe."

Now it's worth noting that a synopsis had also leaked (from the same person) a while back for what wound up being Eyes of Wakanda, where basically the synopsis was the same but instead of Wakandans going out to get artifacts it was aliens, so they do change things to obfuscate the actual project.

That being said, at face value...this sounds a lot like Eternals. Which would line up with the reports of some sort of Eternals sequel happening if they were going to do it as an animated series.

Edited by SpiderByte

Hiring a new writer after the filming was supposedly finished shows they have no confidence in the product. That said this is the modus operandi of Hollywood. Sometimes they pull the rabbit out of the hat shooting without much of a script and changing it during production. Fugitive was a big one that clicked despite chaotic production. But it fails more often than not. Let us see what happens to this movie. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Hiring a new writer after the filming was supposedly finished shows they have no confidence in the product. That said this is the modus operandi of Hollywood. Sometimes they pull the rabbit out of the hat shooting without much of a script and changing it during production. Fugitive was a big one that clicked despite chaotic production. But it fails more often than not. Let us see what happens to this movie. 

And World War Z somehow worked for most, as well, right?  But yeah, usually it's not a good sign...  I'm numb to this clearly-Marvel-PR-requested rhetoric in the trades now of "Reshoots are common and worked into the schedule, especially at Marvel."  I just don't buy it.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Macleod said:

And World War Z somehow worked for most, as well, right?  But yeah, usually it's not a good sign...  I'm numb to this clearly-Marvel-PR-requested rhetoric in the trades now of "Reshoots are common and worked into the schedule, especially at Marvel."  I just don't buy it.  

But...they are normal for Marvel. This has been their process for pretty much the entire history of the MCU. This isn't news at all.

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

WWZ had novelty for being the first big level Zombie Movie 

WWZ had Brad Pitt, brilliant marketing and a fantastic reshot third act to leave viewers with. It’s original book was majestictic.

problem with Captain America is it’s got a concept issue. WWZ didn’t have that, it burnt its concept and wasted it but that’s another story.

This is clearly a massive reworking. I still say merge it with Thunderbolts. If their not merging the two films then they are burning hundreds of millions.

Disney can’t take those losses over two years without clear other big wins.

Edited by Sckathian
  • Disbelief 1

IDK, reshooting for 6 months a movie is not the industry standard. And it surely suggests Cap 4 is yet another disaster waiting to happen just like The Marvels.

Feige probably got over confident after End Game and NWH, he probably thought that greenlighting every pitch show for D plus and  productions with rookie directors and poor scripts with reshoots to fix some gaps would do the job, it appears he was wrong.

Edited by Belakor