5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

The Boy and The Heron

$2,390,000 Previews

$5,588,202 Friday (incl. Previews)

$3,992,926 Saturday (-29%)

$3,255,185 Sunday (-18%)

$12,836,313 Total

All Breakdown via @The Numbers

The Sunday drop seems a little optimistic, but it should still be good to top $12M for the weekend at least. What an incredible start, especially from a distributor that's been around for 13 years and never had a movie make more than $9M. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I wonder if Heron can make it to $30 million dom. WOM doesn't seem bad at all.

I don't expect a G-1 level hold next weekend, but if can at least stay above, say, $5M, it might be able to hold onto enough screens by Christmas Day to leg out to $30M+. 

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

it surely won't. And it wasn't clear that 2D hand drawn animation is actually cheaper for Disney.

Well if you just bought a bunch of flipbooks and animated your movie on those that would still be "2D". 

I can't imagine something like Ernest and Celestine costing as much as $200 million just if it were made in California instead of France. But I do agree that knowing Disney they'll look to cut costs in labor before technology.

Edited by AniNate

The Numbers has Waitress: The Musical at $3.2M for the weekend, $3.9M 4-day total. Pretty incredible performance for a filmed version of the stage musical... I wonder what the odds are of someone green-lighting a proper film adaptation of the show now?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

The Boy and The Heron

$12.836M

Imax domestic screens at 291 drew $2.4M for Boy and the Heron, repping a very big 20% of the pic’s opening. Overall PLF and Imax share is 38%. AMC Boston Commons still the movie’s highest grossing take in the U.S. with $63K through yesterday. Diversity demos are 43% Caucasian, 22% Latino, 7% Black, & 27% Asian/other.

• Like 1