filmlover

Fly Me to the Moon | 7/12/2024 | Apple/Sony | Scarlett Johansson, Channing Tatum

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Why are we so sure that the people who believe it’s a hoax are conspiracy theorists? 

Guess it depends on which side of the story you believe. 

Doesn’t seem to be hurting the film though, it’s just being viewed as a Scar Jo/Tatum rom com. 

There is zero, I repeat zero, proof that the moon landins were faked. This whole "Facts do not matter , beleive what you want " is an dangerous, destructive philosophy.

And yes, people who beleive in the Moon Hoax are about a pure a example of someone buying in crap conspriatcy theriies are syou dna find.

That so many people think facts do not matter, or worse, that there are no such things as facts, just opinions...is one reason soceity is in as much trouble as it is.

On 7/8/2024 at 1:18 PM, Insomnia said:

I don't know why people get so bothered by conspiracy theories lol. I find them fun to think about. You don't have to believe them. Some people do and, well, they can go nuts. 

I don't really care about this movie either way but it does sound fun. If word of mouth is indeed really positive I'll probably check it out.

Just take a look at the damage conspriacy thories have done to US politics over tyhe past few years.

I was already wondering what Hollywood was thinking...it still remember the controversy around First Man. But Idk if that's to blame for the low predictions. I mean, overall the film will probably show the moon landing as reality, no?

Living in Europe, Idk why this film so far stays completely under the radar. No or no good marketing campaign? Look at the buzz & tracking thread, the presales are muted everywhere.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

There is zero, I repeat zero, proof that the moon landins were faked. This whole "Facts do not matter , beleive what you want " is an dangerous, destructive philosophy.

And yes, people who beleive in the Moon Hoax are about a pure a example of someone buying in crap conspriatcy theriies are syou dna find.

That so many people think facts do not matter, or worse, that there are no such things as facts, just opinions...is one reason soceity is in as much trouble as it is.

Probably not something that anyone cares about enough to explore tbh. I’m sure it won’t put people off seeing a romcom. But some Americans are known to get pissy about random things. 

1 minute ago, el sid said:

I was already wondering what Hollywood was thinking...it still remember the controversy around First Man. But Idk if that's to blame for the low predictions. I mean, overall the film will probably show the moon landing as reality, no?

Living in Europe, Idk why this film so far stays completely under the radar. No or no good marketing campaign? Look at the buzz & tracking thread, the presales are muted everywhere.

It actually was #4 here in the UK on Saturday and Sunday previews, ~£300k which is around what MaXXXine did for the 3 day. Seems like it’ll do ok here. Reviews are good too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Probably not something that anyone cares about enough to explore tbh. I’m sure it won’t put people off seeing a romcom. But some Americans are known to get pissy about random things. 

given the damage that conspiracy theories are doing in US politics, I think we are right in getting pissy about conspiracy theoris.

They are not harmless; they can do serious damage.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Just take a look at the damage conspriacy thories have done to US politics over tyhe past few years.

They have done no real damage unless you get all your facts and narratives from the media.

I'm guessing you're a boomer.

Edited by Insomnia

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Older generations get very prickly about opening their minds, I've found. They panic. That's not ageism either, it's just an honest to God observation.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

given the damage that conspiracy theories are doing in US politics, I think we are right in getting pissy about conspiracy theoris.

They are not harmless; they can do serious damage.

I’m obviously not in the US but I remember being taught about the moon landing in school when I was a child and half of the lesson was the reflection of the camera in the helmet etc lol. I think the hoax element is just as much a part of the story as the landing. 

I don’t have any feelings about it, but just letting you know that outside of America some schools are taught the whole story. It doesn’t impact us though, just an American thing. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I believe every person has the right to question facts IF they have a well reasoned hypothesis of their own. I agree that mindless, baseless conspiracy theories are ridiculous and I don't defend that. I do very much defend everyone's right to think for themselves, though, provided there is actual thinking involved.

Bear in mind I don't say this as someone who goes around saying the moon landing was a hoax.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Insomnia said:

They have done no real damage unless you get all your facts and narratives from the media.

I'm guessing you're a boomer.

Please, the 'Alternate Media" is really bad for conspiracy crap. And it is just that: Crap.

3 hours ago, Insomnia said:

I believe every person has the right to question facts IF they have a well reasoned hypothesis of their own. I agree that mindless, baseless conspiracy theories are ridiculous and I don't defend that. I do very much defend everyone's right to think for themselves, though, provided there is actual thinking involved.

Bear in mind I don't say this as someone who goes around saying the moon landing was a hoax.

It is not about hypothesis, it is about how well you can back up your hypothises with facts and proof. You can have a "well resoned hypothisie" but if it is based on bad data you will fail.

As someone once said, you have a right to your own opinion, but no right to your own facts.

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m obviously not in the US but I remember being taught about the moon landing in school when I was a child and half of the lesson was the reflection of the camera in the helmet etc lol. I think the hoax element is just as much a part of the story as the landing. 

I don’t have any feelings about it, but just letting you know that outside of America some schools are taught the whole story. It doesn’t impact us though, just an American thing. 

It is not an American thing it is a matter of basic fact.

In 1969, Man went to the moon. End of story.

Problem is too many people don't get the difference between opinion and evidence.

• Haha 1

This movie isn't looking to bring in the conspiracy theorists and/or the typical right wing grifters who only latch themselves onto movies that are guaranteed them enough attention to be potential payers for their rent (see: Ben Shapiro seeing Barbie just to trash it on his channels).

Anyway, looking forward to seeing both this and Longlegs this weekend!

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

Tell me you are joking. Pleae.

Conspiracy theoris are no longer a laughing matter, given the way they are playing a major role in wreaking political havoc.

Anything can be a laughing matter. Dont gatekeep comedy