Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

I think turning Red was received better by the family audience than teens tbh. Its online audience reception doesn't reflect what a D+ mainstay it's been, and there's more than enough cute animal hijinks in it to distract from "difficult conversations"

Soul I'm less certain of since it's a lot moodier and the narrative is pretty reliant on its metaphysical themes

Edited by AniNate

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It’s basically the “We have McDonalds at home” meme except they actually do have McDonalds at home with a bunch of streaming services.

Right, which is why older aimed animation isn’t a bad idea for the box office right now. 

But also not doing anything to stop today’s kids from growing up being used to movies on streaming rather than the theater. Thats not just going to magically change overnight when they’re the bread and butter demo Hollywood relies on for tentpoles. Could be hard to get them to ever care about theatres if those are their habits. 

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I think turning Red was received better by the family audience than teens tbh. Its online audience reception doesn't reflect what a D+ mainstay it's been, and there's more than enough cute animal hijinks in it to distract from "difficult conversations"

Soul I'm less certain of since it's a lot moodier and the narrative is pretty reliant on its metaphysical themes

Yeah I think that's actually correct. Teens might have been too cool for Pixar and saw it as "cringe". Family audiences could still watch it.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Right, which is why older aimed animation isn’t a bad idea for the box office right now. 

But also not doing anything to stop today’s kids from growing up being used to movies on streaming rather than the theater. Thats not just going to magically change overnight when they’re the bread and butter demo Hollywood relies on for tentpoles. Could be hard to get them to ever care about theatres if those are their habits. 

They very clearly do care when Hollywood gives them stuff to care about (Mario). But the "casual audience" that would show up for anything is dead. Unless if inflation somehow reverses I doubt their "habits" or whatever would change.

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

yeah the data says Turning Red is dominate on the ratings chart on Nielsen. Luca is below and Soul is lower than Luca.

9 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Too early to say but I expect a post Xmas collapse and Color Purple to mainly exploit that. I don't think Aquaman is going over Black Adam.

Ehhh TCP and Aquaman have two different target audiences. I don't think one will exploit the other

Just now, dallas said:

Ehhh TCP and Aquaman have two different target audiences. I don't think one will exploit the other

Casuals that would otherwise go to Aquaman by default will go to TCP. I realize those aren't Aquaman's core but so few people care about a superhero movie that's already dead that it will get hurt by ANY competition.

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

They very clearly do care when Hollywood gives them stuff to care about (Mario). But the "casual audience" that would show up for anything is dead. Unless if inflation somehow reverses I doubt their "habits" or whatever would change.

You could argue Mario was a lot of nostalgic teen siblings and parents/uncles/aunts/etc getting little kids hyped to go see it… I believe Nintendo did mention something at some point about the movie having introduced a huge wave of new kids into Mario. Nintendo struggles to reach kids sometimes in the modern era (ironically). 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

You could argue Mario was a lot of nostalgic teen siblings and parents/uncles/aunts/etc getting little kids hyped to go see it… I believe Nintendo did mention something at some point about the movie having introduced a huge wave of new kids into Mario. Nintendo struggles to reach kids sometimes in the modern era (ironically). 

No, it most certainly does NOT struggle. Did you see the Switch sales figures?!? Mario was/is hugely popular among kids long before the movie came out. Mario Odyssey was a bestseller. MARIO was the draw of Mario and the core was little kids AND families still cared. Migration/Wish/etc. had no "core".

Just now, MightyDargon said:

No, it most certainly does NOT struggle. Did you see the Switch sales figures?!? Mario was/is hugely popular among kids long before the movie came out. Mario Odyssey was a bestseller. MARIO was the draw of Mario and the core was little kids AND families still cared. Migration/Wish/etc. had no "core".

Have you seen the demographics of Switch owners? Let’s just say it’s not pretty for how 18+ demo completely overshadows the under 18 one. 20-40 is the prime age demo of Switch owners. 
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/11/switch-is-most-popular-with-22-year-olds-nintendo-says

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Casuals that would otherwise go to Aquaman by default will go to TCP. I realize those aren't Aquaman's core but so few people care about a superhero movie that's already dead that it will get hurt by ANY competition.

I'm sorry but looking at Aquaman's target audience, I don't expect a bunch of 18-24 year old white guys to choose TCP default over Aquaman 2. 

• Like 1