AniNate

Freakier Friday | Lohan, Curtis and everyone else | Now in post-production, releases 2025

"I Called Bob Iger": Jamie Lee Curtis Details How She Helped Freaky Friday 2 Get The Greenlight

At San Diego Comic-Con, Jamie Lee Curtis explains how she helped Freaky Friday 2 get greenlit. The long-awaited sequel releases in theaters in 2025 and sees Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Mark Harmon, Chad Michael Murray, Rosalind Chao, Christina Vidal Mitchell, Haley Hudson, Lucille Soong, and Stephen Tobolowsky reprising their roles from the original 2003 film. Manny Jacinto, Julia Butters, Sophia Hammons, and Maitreyi Ramakrishnan are joining the cast as well.

Screen Rant attended San Diego Comic-Con where, during an interview for her upcoming film Borderlands, Curtis discussed how her experience promoting the recent Halloween films and a phone call she made to Disney CEO Bob Iger helped make Freaky Friday 2 a reality. She also expressed her enthusiasm for being part of the sequel and teased what the experience has been like filming it as the movie is currently in production. Curtis also mentioned when further information about Freaky Friday 2 can be expected to be revealed. Check out her comments below:

"The reason for Freaky Friday is because of stuff like this. During the Halloween press junkets all around the world, we would do Halloween questions and then every single interview, they'd go, "So what's up with you and Lindsay? Are you going to get back?" Because of that real interest around the world, when I got back home, I called Bob Iger. I said, 'Bob, I'm telling you, people want it.' That's how it began. That was about a year and a half ago, and we have been shooting now for two months. It's awesome. It's different and beautiful and fun and funny. It hits every note. It's going to be amazing. I can't actually talk about it very much... last night I was 15 in downtown LA, jumping a 1969 Camaro. Literally last night, at the end of the day as the sun set in downtown Los Angeles, I was jumping a 69 Camaro as a 15-year-old... it's awesome and it's going to be great. It'll be out next year. And if you're coming to D 23, we have some announcements happening at D 23. Maybe, or maybe not. We'll see."

lindsay-lohan-and-jamie-lee-curtis-spott

452346553-861732249338457-79783422597674

Edited by fastlane
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

This would’ve been a Disney+ release a couple of years ago. 

I sorta feel like after Halloween 2018 Jamie would always have some pull to make it theatrical

then EEAAO and her Oscar prob cemented that leverage even more

I know Iger said they'd be focusing on theatrical releases again but I'll need to see more announcements before believing that switch is a sure thing (and hopefully they won't be waiting to see how this performs to decide because I don't think whether this does well or not is necessarily a big indicator for this type of movie in general imo)

Wow, Lindsay Lohan looks like Lindsay Lohan on those pictures.

I just saw "Irish Wish" and I though her performance was...well...not that great. Thak God Ed Speleers was in it for her rescue.

I just don't understand what happened, she was great in Mean Girls or even Freaky Friday. 

I hope an environment like such a huge stage production is able to get her back in form. 

6 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Wow, Lindsay Lohan looks like Lindsay Lohan on those pictures.

I just saw "Irish Wish" and I though her performance was...well...not that great. Thak God Ed Speleers was in it for her rescue.

I just don't understand what happened, she was great in Mean Girls or even Freaky Friday. 

I hope an environment like such a huge stage production is able to get her back in form. 

I watched that months ago but thought she did fine and still showed screen presence/charisma? she seemed committed (perhaps more than the movie required) and yea her chemistry with Speleers was the best part of it from what I remember, made me wish they were in a more serious project instead

and to be fair those Netflix romcoms are her first proper movies in like what a decade (and directed by Hallmark level people) she lost a crucial phase of her career I'm sure if she keeps at it she'll get her groove/spark back. honestly it's kinda insane to think about how wild/messy everything related to her image/career has been for ages and she's managing to sell these "wholesome" vibe family projects again

2 minutes ago, fastlane said:

I watched that months ago but thought she did fine and still showed screen presence/charisma? she seemed committed (perhaps more than the movie required) and yea her chemistry with Speleers was the best part of it from what I remember, made me wish they were in a more serious project instead

and to be fair those Netflix romcoms are her first proper movies in like what a decade (and directed by Hallmark level people) she lost a crucial phase of her career I'm sure if she keeps at it she'll get her groove/spark back. honestly it's kinda insane to think about how wild/messy everything related to her image/career has been for ages and she's managing to sell these "wholesome" vibe family projects again

I thought she looked comitted as well, that was not the problem. It just didn't feel natural. I felt like I saw Lindsay Lohan act instead of being that character she played, and that felt very wooden. Maybe it was just bad direction as well, those Netflix Romcoms are usually very bad in that department, also the screenplay obviously needed a lot of work.

I just hope the Genre finds a way back to the big screen, instead of feeding mediocre material to a Netflix audience, that for whatever reason is fine with such quality. 

Posted (edited)

Disney has an "untitled film" in August next year. That's where high-profile chick flicks have often gone recently and that was also when the original Freaky Friday released so I'm thinking that's where this is heading

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AniNate said:

Disney has an "untitled film" in August next year. That's where high-profile chick flicks have often gone recently and that was also when the original Freaky Friday released so I'm thinking that's where this is heading

August could work and being a lower budgeted film mean it'll have a shot of succeeding.

On 7/27/2024 at 4:33 PM, fastlane said:

Lohan has actually kept her nose pretty clean for a long time now.

But yeah, her basically going bonkers killed her career at a crucial point. The constant arrests and revolving door stays at mental threapy centers made her unemployable for a long time; no studio wanted to take the risk .

She might make a comeback but she will never have the kind of career she could have had; just too many years lost.

But this seems a slam dunk for Disney since they can make it on a very, very modest budget.

Edited by dudalb

On 8/1/2024 at 4:33 AM, dudalb said:

Lohan has actually kept her nose pretty clean for a long time now.

But yeah, her basically going bonkers killed her career at a crucial point. The constant arrests and revolving door stays at mental threapy centers made her unemployable for a long time; no studio wanted to take the risk .

She might make a comeback but she will never have the kind of career she could have had; just too many years lost.

But this seems a slam dunk for Disney since they can make it on a very, very modest budget.

there's been some hype but it seems like the target audience expected this to be on Disney+ from the jump so they might just decide to wait and check once it's there anyway.. will Jamie be enough to make ppl buy a ticket? (and even she is kind of going through an online bandwagon hate era) with the right nostalgia play and promo strategy I can see it doing well though

speaking of nostalgia / marketing, just saw Disney posted a new Jamie interview because of her Legend award coming up this weekend and she said this:

You’re reprising your role as Tess Coleman opposite Lindsay Lohan in a sequel to Freaky Friday. Why did you want to revisit this character, and what can fans expect?

I am the catalyst for the new film because while on a tour of the world promoting the Halloween franchise, the most asked question, wherever I went, and whatever language was, “Are you gonna make a Freaky Friday sequel?’ When I returned from that trip, I called Bob Iger and suggested that they take very seriously the possibility—and now we are in the process of making that film. It’s a relatable question. What would it feel like to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes? We have a few surprises in this new film, and a lot of old favorites.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-legends-in-conversation-exclusive-qa-with-jamie-lee-curtis/

hopefully that last sentence means cameos (yes I am still manifesting Jodie 🙏) and perhaps some popular gen z popstars that they can heavily tease/use during the promo campaign idk

also their og movie came out 21 years ago today

57 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

I'm sure it's the August 8 release date. That's around the same time the last movie premiered back in 2003, so it checks out.

August 8th would make sense, October could work if they move Tron to November.