Flopped

THE SUBSTANCE | Coralie Fargeat body horror with Demi Moore

On 10/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, Hiccup23 said:

Is this getting a re-expansion this weekend? Starting Thursday it is going to be playing at the Alamo Drafthouse in Chicago (hasn't played here yet). It only has 1 showing a day but it's selling decently. 

A couple AMCs in my area that had dropped it after two weeks are indeed getting it back tomorrow, so it looks like its theater count may at least stay flat or even increase. Maybe it can get one more weekend above $1M?

• Heart 1

I probably wasn't in the right headspace and stopped halfway through; I did feel like this was for people who didn't have these conversations online about ageism, sexism, and how bad women can act against each other before, but I'll start again and push through.

Also I couldn't pin down what time period it was supposed to be and it was driving me wild.

Edited by Morieris

49 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

A very good box office for the type of film it is.
What will Coralie Fargeat do next? I can already see Disney optioning her for one of their comics (sigh!).

Hopefully something just as cool as Revenge and The Substance.

Although, I’m still waiting on Julia Ducournau‘s follow up to Raw & Titane. 

It's holding well in a lot of markets, really shows the WOM is strong on this movie. Even domestic with the theater losses it's been facing it's been having great holds. I'm really happy for MUBI for seeing something special in this movie and buying distribution rights and for everyone in the cast and crew. 

16 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

What are the chances this gets an Oscar nom for Best Screenplay and Best Actress (Demi Moore). I watched for a second last night and was blown away by her performance. The Oscars have to stop sleeping on horror pics if they want to keep younger audiences engage

With the way the movie has legged out over the last month and managed to remain a hot topic in the film world, I think it's entirely possible right now - it actually reminds me of Everything Everywhere All at Once on a smaller scale, where on paper seems like an unlikely awards player, but it's just accessible enough to break through. Not sure about Screenplay (it's not exactly a complicated plot or loaded with memorable dialogue) but I think Demi Moore is gonna be a big factor in the Actress race, and I could actually see it factor into the Director race of it makes it into Picture, considering how flashy it is visually. At the very least, it's probably the frontrunner for Makeup right now. 

• Like 1

I checked comscore again this week as promised. $42,073,418 is the worldwide total. Comscore is reliable and accurate so whatever is going on with BOM and the Numbers is something they need to figure out. 

The available worldwide weekend sheets don't provide country breakdowns like I said last week so I don't know what countries we're contributing to international grosses. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wattage said:

I checked comscore again this week as promised. $42,073,418 is the worldwide total. Comscore is reliable and accurate so whatever is going on with BOM and the Numbers is something they need to figure out. 

The available worldwide weekend sheets don't provide country breakdowns like I said last week so I don't know what countries we're contributing to international grosses. 

So, it seems like it is guaranteed to top $50M.