Flopped

THE SUBSTANCE | Coralie Fargeat body horror with Demi Moore

I’m really conflicted over this, for the first 2 hours I was absolutely loving it, but felt it went off the deep end in that last 20 minutes.

Spoiler

I would have preferred it to end with “Monstro Elisasue” in the bathroom all alone, unable to get out. It just felt like it went from a subtly biting satire on how Hollywood treats older actresses to suddenly being the least subtle thing in existence where it starts smashing you over the head with a giant hammer to make a point that it’s already made.

The blood fountain scene was undeniably hilarious, but I just felt it undermined the rest of the film. It’s a shame because I feel like Demi Moore would’ve been a lock for awards nominations up until that point, she was fantastic and it was great to see her back in a daring role, but after THAT point I feel like it’ll leave awards voters cold.

I’m still very glad I saw it on the big screen though, and I’d definitely recommend it, even if it comes with an asterisk due to the ending.

On 10/22/2024 at 7:55 AM, SnokesLegs said:

I’m really conflicted over this, for the first 2 hours I was absolutely loving it, but felt it went off the deep end in that last 20 minutes.

Hide contents

I would have preferred it to end with “Monstro Elisasue” in the bathroom all alone, unable to get out. It just felt like it went from a subtly biting satire on how Hollywood treats older actresses to suddenly being the least subtle thing in existence where it starts smashing you over the head with a giant hammer to make a point that it’s already made.

The blood fountain scene was undeniably hilarious, but I just felt it undermined the rest of the film. It’s a shame because I feel like Demi Moore would’ve been a lock for awards nominations up until that point, she was fantastic and it was great to see her back in a daring role, but after THAT point I feel like it’ll leave awards voters cold.

I’m still very glad I saw it on the big screen though, and I’d definitely recommend it, even if it comes with an asterisk due to the ending.

Idk if the rest of the movie is as subtle as you make it out to be. I mean the concept itself already tells you what the movie is about

Loved this movie. Shame it isn't making more money DOM. At least OS is good.

I guess clown graphically murdering people has stronger mass appeal than body horror. I loved both but wish this was bigger that's all.

Edited by Mojoguy

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk if the rest of the movie is as subtle as you make it out to be. I mean the concept itself already tells you what the movie is about

I think that a lot of people do not realize that this is essentially a movie about addiction. The Substance is the themes of Requiem for a Dream (addiction), in the story of Black Swan/Perfect Blue. There's so many Requiem for a Dream references (including the poster). I think it is a great metaphor. It's not just a movie about beauty standards. 

25 minutes ago, lookingformovies255 said:

I think that a lot of people do not realize that this is essentially a movie about addiction. The Substance is the themes of Requiem for a Dream (addiction), in the story of Black Swan/Perfect Blue. There's so many Requiem for a Dream references (including the poster). I think it is a great metaphor. It's not just a movie about beauty standards. 

Yeh it has so much going on. Beauty standards, addiction, ageing, feminism, self hatred, body image, toxic masculinity, self destruction, self harm. 

Definitely top 5 of the year for me. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2024 at 1:33 AM, Belakor said:

This was very good, I loved the soundtrack. I can see Margaret being the next Hollywood icon if she can improve her acting a little bit.

She was great in this. Her performance in Death Stranding and Maid are very good. The one in Death Stranding is one of the few moments/performances in a game that had me on the verge of tears. She's clearly going to break out at some point, but she seems more content with making indie films and choosing projects with specific auteurs. A modern day Spacek or Foster.

Edited by ThePhasmid