kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I don't disagree. Even acknowledging my own first-hand account of a positive test screening months back and liking the script just fine myself.

But Uni/WBD are projecting that "We KNOW we have a winner here" confidence. Not to mention the latter's often-reliable mid/late July slot - which they locked in ages ago - long before Deadpool & Wolverine took the following week out of necessity.

To your point, we all know about how well The Flash tested (and how often we were reminded about it) and while Beetlejuice Beetlejuice did test well too... I'm not confident there after seeing that last trailer.

I was going to say that. They seem to be projecting the we know we have a winner with Twisters and not in the Flash flop sweat Tom Cruise loved it and it's the best thing since sliced bread way.

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

In a healthy market every month should be able to produce some solid grossers because people want to go to the movies and will see something. The problem is that moviegoing is not really a popular activity anymore, so people will not go out to see something.

Plenty of good films have released in the past few months, the marketplace should not be in this dire a place.

In that case, then we really should not expect breakout hits and lower our expectations because we know that the market is not healthy and that moviegoing is not a popular activity anymore.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Out of curiosity, when exactly did Internet circles begin putting so much stock in test screenings anyway? Did it start with all that DC drama in 2016? 

i feel like it was when the dc vs marvel feud peaked, the mcu was putting out movies that the fans loves and dc was doing the opposite. How many times did we get headlines from test screenings saying "x movie is the best comic book movie since the dark knight"??

7 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I don't disagree. Even acknowledging my own first-hand account of a positive test screening months back and liking the script just fine myself.

But Uni/WBD are projecting that "We KNOW we have a winner here" confidence. Not to mention the latter's often-reliable mid/late July slot - which they locked in ages ago - long before Deadpool & Wolverine took the following week out of necessity.

To your point, we all know about how well The Flash tested (and how often we were reminded about it) and while Beetlejuice Beetlejuice did test well too... I'm not confident there after seeing that last trailer.

I was going to say that. They seem to be projecting the we know we have a winner with Twisters and not in the Flash flop sweat Tom Cruise loved it and it's the best thing since sliced bread way.

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

In that case, then we really should not expect breakout hits and lower our expectations because we know that the market is not healthy and that moviegoing is not a popular activity anymore.

Yeah, we shouldn't expect it, but that doesn't really make it any less desolating.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Until BB ROD, IO 2, DM 4 DP and W and hopefully QP Day one and Twisters open. Then we can shut up for at least a little while.

Posted (edited)

Maybe this summer will teach Hollywood that getting on the back of Marvel and giving it bad PR is not doing them any favours. Actors saying they would 'never lower themselves' to a Marvel movie. Its not going to help the industry. They need Marvel and Star Wars hitting hard so those theatres stay open for their passion project 5 people and a dog will turn up to.

Edited by Juliet
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 8

1 minute ago, Juliet said:

Maybe this summer will teach Hollywood that getting on the back of Marvel and giving it bad PR is not doing them any favours. Actors saying they would 'never lower themselves' to a Marvel movie. Its not going to help the industry. They need Marvel and Star Wars hitting hard so those theatres stay open for their passion project 5 people and a dog will turn up to.

Yep all you people who were sick  of the MCU and CBM's dominating and carrying the BO.  Well you got your wish for now Happy?  until a CBM movie carries the BO at the end of July.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

in regards to the time gap between furiosa and fury road r; because of the pandemic, if you were to tell me fury road was only 4 or 5 years old, I would have believed you 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, discussingnotfilms said:

well, they clearly pushed it to the end of the year to maximize it's award season chances🤣

We don't know that. Could still be pushed to 2030. 😭

• Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yeah, we shouldn't expect it, but that doesn't really make it any less desolating.

I share your sentiment. I myself feel bad about what's happening. I still hope to find some oases this June, July, and the holiday season and then bounce back next year. Next year is the true test, imo.

Posted (edited)

I know furiosa has had a chinese release approved, but does it have any other markets left? 

Im trying to map out a path to 200 million that would allow it maybe save some face; in theory, going from 59 to 195 shouldn't be impossible 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Until BB ROD, IO 2, DM 4 DP and W and hopefully QP Day one and Twisters open. Then we can shut up for at least a little while.

We are really counting on those movies. Plus the second half of the year looks stronger than 2023 so there's that to look forward to.

Edited by kayumanggi

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep all you people who were sick  of the MCU and CBM's dominating and carrying the BO.  Well you got your wish for now Happy?  until a CBM movie carries the BO at the end of July.

I'm not sure why there is a mentality that people should cheer for films they don't like? Is it really supposed to make me feel any better if the Disney Content LineTM succeeds while the films I actually care for still tank?

I mean, good on the industry for atleast getting to limp around longer, but that still doesn't make the marketplace healthy, nor does it make the films I want more likely to be made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I know furiosa has had a chinese release approved, but does it have any other markets left? 

Im trying to map out a path to 200 million so that it can maybe save some face; in theory, going from 59 to 195 shouldn't be impossible 

Japan next weekend. China in two weeks.

Edited by kayumanggi

10 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Moderation

Yeah, we're gonna end this before it begins. It's too early in the day for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

Japan

so I guess it can do 7.5 million there, so lets assume 187.5 million is what it needs to get from its 59 million global ow

so around 3.2 legs

maybe it happens?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

We are really counting on those movies. Plus the second half of the year looks stronger than 2023 so there's that to look forward too.

Exactly and that does not discount that in this current moment things are terrible and we can not continue to have long lulls like this which save for March and a few other bright spots  has gone on since  Barbie and Oppenheimer opened. But I think too many forget a pandemic and 6 month labor strike has really fucked things these last 4 years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

so I guess it can do 7.5 million there, so lets assume 187.5 million is what it needs to get from its 59 million global ow

so around 3.2 legs

maybe it happens?

The problem is it only has two weeks to do that until BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE opens. We'll see.

Furiosa was a great character in Fury Road, but that doesn't mean general audiences will flock to see a prequel based on that character, recasting the actress that worked in the previous one. This is also a movie called Mad Max that doesn't even had the Mad Max character.

I advocate for good movies and projects, BUT that doesn't mean executives shouldn't think with their heads. Mad Max has never been a huge IP. At least, not one that gets attention from general audiences. This movie is more expensive than huge blockbusters. 

Mad Max wasn't a blockbuster hit and shouldn't have got a budget for a blockbuster movie. 

• Like 1