kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

5 minutes ago, dallas said:

I mean, in reality it's been happening since 2021 on a smaller scale. August 2023 onwards is just when it became absurd.

It didn’t become “absurd,” that’s just when a small number of people finally started to realize.

4 minutes ago, dallas said:

Well hindsight is 20/20

I wouldn’t call it hindsight. People were saying this for a while. You just got called a doomer or something if you didn’t agree with people who were missing the forest for the trees.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Those were more about those specific movies, not moviegoing as a whole. “This did poorly because it got bad reception, this movie did poorly because it was niche, etc”

We didn’t have “this movie did poorly it’s just SO expensive to go the movies (but ignore these other ones that did well) and that’s why the industry is dying” until now.

But even for ones that did well in 2024...

We have ONE $200M+ DOM grosser so far this year...and through all the May movies, none are gonna be added.

That's really not "doing well" even for the best movies...

We had 4 $200M+ DOM movies release in the 1st 5 months last year...and then one on this weekend, too...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

I mean, have you seen how the industry has reacted this past month? There’s a new article posted from one of the trades or The New York Times or something else about how the box office is dead published every other day. It started with The Fall Guy and Furiosa caused it to accelerate. Maybe some people realized that it’s been happening for a while, but a ton of people didn’t. I still see people who come up with one excuse after another.

I'm sure the industry freakout is real, but rhe media itself is not having the best time economically either. Doomer headlines and posts about the death of moviegoing certainly drive clicks.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop came out during the Great Recession (January 2009) and adjusts to $213M domestic. Kevin James on a Segway was not the height of cinema even back then or some sumptuous visual feat, just a bumbling comedy. Still, enough audiences thought it was too "must see" to wait for DVD/Redbox/premium/basic cable. Movie theaters were still a cheap diversion for many in times of economic hardship. Can Hollywood truly adjust now that they aren't?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

We have ONE $200M+ DOM grosser so far this year...and through all the May movies, none are gonna be added.

We had 4 release by May last year...and then one on this weekend, too...

The ones that did well did well for what they are. GxK made about the same as Kong Skull Island worldwide, Dune 2 had a Spider-Verse level increase, Kingdom is down from War but it’s a new trilogy and its domestic numbers are already around the same as War’s, Frozen Empire made about the same as Afterlife, etc. This year isn’t good, but it just looks even worse because we used to have Doctor Strange or Top Gun Maverick and stuff this early in the year.

If it’s familiar and interests them then people will show up. If not they’ll stay home.

Edited by Speedorito

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

We had 4 $200M+ DOM movies release in the 1st 5 months last year...and then one on this weekend, too...

yeah but this schedule was weak. This was to be expected 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

yeah but this schedule was weak. This was to be expected 

Expected for part of it...but no BIG money maker, even with spring breaks and start of summer, was probably not expected...

I mean, Mario made $500M+ DOM in this timeframe in 2023.

Dr Strange made $400M+ and Batman made $350M+ DOM in this timeframe in 2022.

I mean, right now, we're looking at weakness in the year that almost rivals 2021's year start when Covid was raging and theaters weren't even fully open...that's really not good.

Industry morale has been pretty downbeat ever since after Barbenheimer, but I do feel Furiosa was an inflection point when a lot of people realized they can't so easily lean on the "bad movies" rationale anymore. Good thing about the weeklong memory of the news cycle I guess is one great weekend will put everyone in a better mood again, even if box office is still trending badly against last year overall.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Paul Blart: Mall Cop came out during the Great Recession (January 2009) and adjusts to $213M domestic. Kevin James on a Segway was not the height of cinema even back then or some sumptuous visual feat,

Speak for yourself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Industry morale has been pretty downbeat ever since after Barbenheimer, but I do feel Furiosa was an inflection point when a lot of people realized they can't so easily lean on the "bad movies" rationale anymore. Good thing about the weeklong memory of the news cycle I guess is one great weekend will put everyone in a better mood again, even if box office is still trending badly against last year overall.

it is not necessarily about a movie being good or bad. It is if it is appealing.

Furiosa was a 170M spin off/prequel based on a film that wasn’t even a huge hit when it came out and coming out  9 years later. It was a pretty obvious bomb and if they expected to make a lot of money on this they were stupid 

What has Kevin James been up to anyways? I don’t even think he’s in Adam Sandler’s Netflix movies. Last thing I heard about him was his network sitcom getting canceled after they killed off his wife in order to get Leah Remini on board.

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

I hate to be a broken record, but what else happened starting August 2023? A huge strike that pushed back releases for a ton of movies which we are still recovering from today. There are a lot of different factors that have contributed to the box office slide in the last year. Like, when was the last time we had just one Marvel movie in a calendar year?

We need to give it another year or so to see how the chips fall. As is, this Fall and 2025 look very strong. If they perform as expected, then all this handwringing was for nothing. 

Outside of Avatar 3 if it comes out I think 2025 looks pretty weak. Don’t know why people think it looks like a strong year

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

After this weekend, 2023 had THREE more $200+ mil movies.

Anyone wanna guess how many 2024 has left? Probably 9+

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

After this weekend, 2023 had THREE more $200+ mil movies.

Anyone wanna guess how many 2024 has left? Probably 9+

Inside Out 2, Despicable Me 4, Deadpool, and Joker are like the only guarantees for the rest of the year. Theres a good chance everything from Twisters to Beetlejuice to Gladiator just underperforms massively.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I admit, that my daughter wanted to see Garfield, but she has a summer program that she leaves for on Tuesday.  Since I could not make a discount Tuesday work (vacation for the other ones), and my other 3 kids were ambivalent, I passed.  Even at my discount theater with crappy seats, it's a minimum $10 ticket - and $60 was too much.  Cinemark would have been over $100, even without concessions.

If I'd have had a few $5 ticket offsets from TMobile or elsewhere, I'd have probably swung it...but as of now, I have Peacock, so we'll just watch it as a Halloween or Thanksgiving movie (if not before)...

If your four kids were pretty interested in Garfield movie, will you go to theaters?

The answer to that question will show if the most important thing was high prices or lack of interest. 

Edited by Kon

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Inside Out 2, Despicable Me 4, Deadpool, and Joker are like the only guarantees for the rest of the year. Theres a good chance everything from Twisters to Beetlejuice to Gladiator just underperforms massively.

Ok bet me

• Like 1