Eric the Marxist

Inside Out 2 (2024) Spoiler Thread

Inside Out 2 (2024)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

- The early screening I've been to was so into the absurdity of Bloofy/Pouchy. Lots of laughs and awws all throughout. 

- Liked it. Different yet so familiar. More anxiety-inducing than Bingbong-sad towards the end because well duh... The anxiety attack scene was... damn

- Like a teenager, this is a bit more messy in structure I guess. IO1 was well structured imo.

- This will resonate heavily to the those who have seen IO1 as kids/teens who are now young adult/adult. 

The scene where Anger was reaching through Pouchys throat had me and my theater dying. Good stuff, found some things extremely relatable. New cast of characters were great, though I feel like Bill Hader's presence was definitely missed here, the person who replaced Mindy Kaling did a great job though.

It was fine I guess? Honestly felt like one of those DTV sequels. More hyperactive and goofy than the first. Also, “being a good hockey player” isn’t as compelling a story as “dealing with big changes in your life” . 

Edited by John Marston

Much like the first, relies too much on tedious adventure trappings and slapstick for slapstick's sake to make this concept work as a feature length movie, and there's no internal logic whatsoever to it, but at least it doesn't take itself as seriously and I did find myself pretty affected by the ending. Enjoyed the anxiety and envy characters.

This will never be one of my favorite Pixar franchises but I found this entertaining enough. Cannot understand what Riley still sees in Bloofy and Pouchy though as someone who considers themselves pretty open minded to children's entertainment.

Edited by AniNate

This isn't as masterful as the first and also doesn't quite compare to Pixar's best sequels (it's definitely better than the Cars sequels but not as transcendent as the Toy Storys), but I found this to be a more than worthy follow-up that retains most of what made its predecessor so special and one of the studio's best movies without coming off as a complete rehash. If one didn't know that key talent (both behind the scenes and in the voice cast) didn't return for this, you wouldn't be able to tell from how seamlessly the two movies fit together.

The animation remains pretty, there's a number of laughs (wish the marketing hadn't spoiled the Sar-Chasm gag cause that was one of the funniest bits in the movie for me, but at least they didn't give away Pouchy!) and the characters are a delight to spend additional time with (the new additions, in particular Maya Hawke's Anxiety, are also engaging). I'd gladly more than welcome a third movie another number of years down the line.

B+

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this movie, no pun intended.

Kelsey Mann said that he didn't want to make the movie too harrowing but I couldn't really tell. Felt pretty heavy anyway, to me

Edit:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-current-cinema/inside-out-2-once-more-with-feelings

I like this review and it points out my real problem with Inside Out 2: Riley's actions in the movie don't plausibly reach any middle ground and she's just a puppet of the emotions

Edited by cannastop

Oh yeah one more thing. Someone in my audience responded to Bloofy's fourth wall break with a "no" when Bloofy was facing the camera and asking if there was a way out. I found that amusing 

Edited by cannastop

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The characters in The Vault were hilarious. On point parodies of preschool-level children's programming and so-called heroic video game characters.

Lance Slashblade was a little funny to me but I didn't get the point of him rolling into a ball. Also throws the timeline into a bit of question because a 13 year old in 2024 would not likely have formative memories of a PS2... Maybe if it's the timeline from the first movie though. Born in 2004 maybe.

I also find it a little bit funny that they had to contrive a way to get modern smartphones out of the story for some reason.

I enjoyed it a lot, not as brilliant as the first film, but then very few sequels are a good as the first. (Toy Story 2 is an exception; IMHO Is i better in some ways then the first)/

I sort of thought Riley would get a boyfriend, but they are saving that for the next one.

My favorite of the new emotions was Ennui.  I still suspect, though, some of the humor about her appreance went over the heads of man in the audience. (It a parody of the stereotyped appreance of French Jean Paul Satre wannabes, down to the turtleneck sweater).

The film is a bit silly and all over the place but it lands its emotional moments really well and it appeals very strongly to teens and adults well.

Also the parody of kids shows was the best like pouchy. 

Pixars best film in a while B+/A- 

Edited by Torontofan

What emotions do you guys feel is missing? Love or Crush should exist? I feel like Joy being the sole rep for stereotypical "positive" emotions is lopsided, especially now that there are new emotions. It was OOC making Disgust a fangirl of Slashbade with Joy being the one telling her to reel it in.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

What emotions do you guys feel is missing? Love or Crush should exist? I feel like Joy being the sole rep for stereotypical "positive" emotions is lopsided, especially now that there are new emotions. It was OOC making Disgust a fangirl of Slashbade with Joy being the one telling her to reel it in.

yeah my read on Disgust admiring Slashblade is that she's the emotion who focuses most on outside appearances?

I think love/crush/w/e would make the movie overstuffed tbh.

Would've liked it if they could figure out how to get schadenfreude in just for the comedic potential of it. But I think the whole premise is pretty contrived so I doubt any missing emotions would change my opinion on that.