kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [Jun 17-20, 2024] | Thursday | 19.63M INSIDE OUT II | 2.85M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE

5 minutes ago, InVy said:

I don't know what you are arguing about. Oscars clearly hate sequels. Also if there is no undeniable front runner, they will namecheck del Toro or Miyazaki.

Well neither of them have an animated movie this year, but if Wild Robot gets HTTYD level reviews and is also a box office success I'm pretty sure that would give it an edge, much in the way Moana/Zootopia did over Dory in 2016.

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well neither of them have an animated movie this year, but if Wild Robot gets HTTYD level reviews and is also a box office success I'm pretty sure that would give it an edge, much in the way Moana/Zootopia did over Dory in 2016.

The Wild Robot could be a box office flop. who knows?

Normally I would discount a Dreamworks movies winning Best Animated. That happens so rarely. But Wild Robot is intriguing based on a best selling book. That said I will remain skeptical of it being a serious player until close to release. September release for a family movie means limited BO potential. Best case would be something like Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs kind of run. 

Miyazaki upset Spiderverse but its Miyazaki we are taking about. That is not a small thing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Also, Toy Story 3 beat How To Train Your Dragon in Oscars last 2011 despite HTTYD having 99% rotten tomatoes score.

Inside Out 2 is a heart-warming, creative film that everyone loves and is on track to make a billion dollars. If the Academy wants to give the award to a film based on a children’s book that’ll make about 230M, that’s their choice. That doesn’t take away from IO2’s success and impact.

• Thanks 1

Honestly the movie I'm really rooting for right now is Flow. Don't know if it'll even get in, but it sounds legit ambitious and it's a bit of a distribution underdog being picked up by Janus Films who have only previously successfully campaigned for Drive My Car 

I know this isn't the place for these kinds of arguments but not many people go in the best animated thread until closer to the actual nominee announcement so I'm taking it here right now. I personally was not real high on IO2 so I would be disappointed if that ends up the best animated feature of the year, whether it's by consensus or my own opinion.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Inside Out 2 is a heart-warming, creative film that everyone loves and is on track to make a billion dollars. If the Academy wants to give the award to a film based on a children’s book that’ll make about 230M, that’s their choice. That doesn’t take away from IO2’s success and impact.

That would be pretty awesome if Wild Robot made $230 mil

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

That would be pretty awesome if Wild Robot made $230 mil

I don’t think it’s far fetched. I’m not really up-to-date with children’s literature, but Bad Guys made 250M two years.

Can IO2 do 250m+ for the first week?

176.5 so far

29 TUE

25 WED

20 THU

That would be the biggest first week for animation post-COVID, as Mario is only at 240m. For all films, it would only be behind Barbie (258m) and NWH (386m)

3 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

Yeah I'm still bracing for a weekend in the $80m range. (which is still great!) These weekday numbers are simply just too insane.

unless it overperforms again for 2nd straight weekend.