Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

13 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Honestly it was a ploy to get boosted Barbenheimer and Taylor Swift ratings at the Golden Globes. Such a silly award.

You're a silly award.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

The criteria for Golden Globe Award for Cinematic and Box Office Achievement

To be eligible for nomination, a film must have grossed $150 million with at least $100 million grossed in the U.S., or have garnered “commensurate digital streaming viewership recognized by trusted industry sources.” Films released between November 22 and the end of the year may qualify based on projected box office performance or streaming views. From the eligible films, nominees and winners are voted for based on excellence.

So the 2025 nominations would be Inside Out 2, Deadpool and Wolverine, Despicable Me 4, Joker 2, Dune Part 2, Twister, Bad Boys For Life, and Beetlejuice Beetlejuice.

“Excellence” probably eliminates Bad Boys for Life and Despicable Me 4. The Little Mermaid and Fast X outgrossed some of last year’s nominees and they weren’t nominated.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Wonder if Disney will fudge it if the weekend comes in at $99M. $100M second weekend would be a pretty significant milestone for Inside Out 2. 

Yeah I am wondering if Disney will be ballsy enough to throw the $100m estimate out there since it'd require a bit better Sunday hold than last week. 

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

We haven't even gotten to the fall festival circuit yet so way too early to say what awards will be. At this point last year Barbenheimer was still an uncertainty.

Barbie and Oppenheimer being Picture nominees, at the bare minimum, was obvious unless you were in denial about Barbie

20 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Is it normal for Blitz to not have a distributor at this point in the year? I’d understand if was a smaller film, but it’s from Apple and has a four-time Oscar nominee.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't picked it up, even more surprised Sony didn't get the Kosinski movie.

Had introduced the Golden Globe Award for Cinematic and Box Office Achievement last 2022, Top Gun: Maverick should been awarded in 2023.

Edited by Migs20242

Oppenheimer was the favorite once its critical reception came in. of course there were tons of deniers in this forum expecting an upset. but there was no doubt it was the front runner. Barbie was also locked for nomination considering its reception. 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Inside out 2 will win best animated for sure. So it wont be just some box office award for sure 🙂 I am expecting even best screenplay nomination. even Editing was crisp and brilliant. 

Animated films don't get into film editing. Definitely won't be a screenplay contender either; look at Incredibles to Incredibles 2 or Finding Nemo to Finding Dory. Both of the original films received Original Screenplay nominations but the sequels were never contenders. I think Inside Out 2 is getting nominated (as I don't think Moana 2 is gonna get in) but that Finding Dory and Frozen II got snubbed should be enough for people not to think IO2 has the Oscar in the bag.

• Like 1

Honestly Oppenheimer Wasnt even that predicted well until it got raves and got a great box office people were even predicting thé director to get snubbed until he started cleaning the critics awards

Also, Boy and the Heron hadn't yet even been released in Japan at this point, though ironically it might've still been an easier pick to win on June 22 2023 than it was soon after it did.

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Universal marketing > Disney marketing, generally speaking

On that topic, did Universal botch holdovers from getting a notable theatrical run? I've seen people make that argument.

20 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

A contener for The Incredibles 2 crown only 6 years after their release feels crazy, I thought it was going to last way longer. Huge win for Pixar. 

I wonder how long IO2 can hold the animation domestic (and likely WW) crown. I don't think a Mario sequel or Frozen 3 or 4 will come close, so maybe whenever they release a Shrek 5? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

I wonder how long IO2 can hold the animation domestic (and likely WW) crown. I don't think a Mario sequel or Frozen 3 or 4 will come close, so maybe whenever they release a Shrek 5? 

I think Mario 2 will drop. These kind of performance that 1st movie had cannot be replicated. I doubt F3 or F4 will get there as well. F2 barely increased from the 1st one. 

On Shrek 5 dont forget last one did just 250m. So dont expect something crazy. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

If we want to play safe, it would be whenever Incredibles 3 happens I think. Although Shrek 5 is not out of the table. 

Frozen 3 or 4 could break the OW record (if it's 3 days) but the total depends on how high IO2 goes. I'd say Mario sequel will be like Fallen Kingdom following Jurassic World tbh 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Inside out 2 will win best animated for sure. So it wont be just some box office award for sure 🙂 I am expecting even best screenplay nomination. even Editing was crisp and brilliant. 

But, according to a certain person here, It has no artistic vallue (since It is a sequel), and we shouldn't be celebrating its success, but instead being mad that this mediocre Bike movie is flopping.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

On that topic, did Universal botch holdovers from getting a notable theatrical run? I've seen people make that argument.

I'm pretty sure the consensus was that Holdovers did pretty well, nearly hit 20M DOM