Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I’m in the camp that Moana 2 will outgross Zootopia 2 UNLESS there’s some massive difference in quality (I.e. Zootopia being as good as the first, while Moana 2 has the quality of a DTV sequel with no hit songs)

I’m kind of expecting this until proven otherwise. Though quality for Moana 2 would be on par with Frozen II.

9 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Another thing is. All this hand wringing over it being originally a streaming series seems weird. Like we don’t even know if it’ll be bad because of that or because the movie itself just doesn’t work regardless. It’s just slightly frustrating this is being used to bash the movie without any evidence that it’ll be garbage. And I’m pretty sure Disney didn’t literally decide 6 months ago to change it to a theatrical release 

TheWrap more or less confirmed it did and judging by timelines it adds up.

8 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Don't think Pixar fits the greed and poor quality argument as much... the brand was straight up wronged by being set to streaming.

Pixar quite literally had only one disliked movie which was Lightyear post pandemic. The rest either were amongst the most streamed movies with rave reception. The only thing you can chalk up to greed is Chapek focusing on the Plus rather than theatrical.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Don't think Pixar fits the greed and poor quality argument as much... the brand was straight up wronged by being set to streaming.

Lightyear got mediocre reviews and was in theaters. Elemental also got weak reviews, much as I like Elemental. This is just to say that I don't know if Pixar is out of the woods. And I wonder how much streaming actually did hurt Lightyear and Elemental, given how Inside Out 2 is doing.

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

TheWrap more or less confirmed it did and judging by timelines it adds up.

yep all the reason in the world to believe it literally was 6 months ago.

18 minutes ago, Flopped said:

To me this is one of the most shocking box office events in years. After Disney destroyed all their IP with greed and poor quality (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar) I never would have guessed this. 

Nah disney still has brand awarness issue is they didn't have films people wanted to see lately till now

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Lightyear got mediocre reviews and was in theaters. Elemental also got weak reviews, much as I like Elemental. This is just to say that I don't know if Pixar is out of the woods. And I wonder how much streaming actually did hurt Lightyear and Elemental, given how Inside Out 2 is doing.

I do wonder in case of Elemental was it a death of a thousand cuts situation OW (poor marketing, bad release date, mediocre for Pixar reviews, opening after Lightyear and to a lesser extent Strange World, still some Plus original baggage) and Lightyear was just a really unappealing product.

• Like 2

Pixar’s Inside Out 2 is on fire at the global box office, where it grossed a record-shattering $100 million domestically and $164.4 million overseas in its second weekend to finish Sunday with $724.4 million in ticket sales to become the top-grossing film of the year after racing past Dune: Part Two ($711. million).

Inside Out 2‘s tally stands at $355.2 in North America, where it fell a scant 35 percent, the best hold of any film in history that opened to $150 million or more. At 40 percent, Star Wars: The Force Awakens previously held that distinction. Overseas, Inside Out 2 has raked in $369.4 million, and it still has major markets yet to open. It fell only 22 percent in its second weekend, and scored the industry’s second biggest openings of all time in both Brazil and Spain.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 24

2 hours ago, XXR & Friends said:

I would wait and see what kind of damage DM4 does before making that definitive. 

We have definitely discussed it and it's definitely possible, no reason to wait on either point. If they'd asked will it happen that would be a different story ;)

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Lightyear was very much treated as the test of whether animation can make a big come back theatrically... and was rejected. Then Minions gave us the answer. We were still not sure back then if families are gonna make that return. Elemental did come after we already had a bunch of animated hits, but we still had none from Disney, so there was still the argument of whether Disney+ has done damage to Disney's animated films. Then the movie's run proved there are ways for audiences to unlearn waiting for Disney+, as long as you appeal to them. Where Pixar was wronged was with Luca and Turning Red having no chance to actually prove themselves when Raya and Encanto had, even if Disney+ still led to money being left on the table for these two in a big way. That studio's recent struggle has to do with the actual quality of its recent output.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That sad Elemental had one of the best WOM runs in quite a long time (yeah it opened low, still you don't get those multies if the movies isn't very well liked). So yeah it got weak reviews, but not by the people actualy buying and watching the movie, specialy not the 'fun' factor.

I mean the first minion movie had terrible reviews but its legs were actualy quite good -> elemental was kind of like this but then better (ofc not in actualy cultural impact and boxoffice).

I do think it makes more sense that D+ would affect movies that aren't 'must see' movies / sequels, like new original ones compared to TS5, IO2 or a frozen 3.

• Like 3