cannastop

Weekday Thread June 24-27. Inside Out 2 $11.2m, Bad Boys $1.6m Thursday

"$10m in big cities and $30m in the Midwest and West"

Maybe they split the difference and we actually see a nice $20M number for Horizon. That would be a pleasant surprise. And if AQP somehow hits 60, though I'm not counting on it, we're looking at an even bigger overall weekend than I would have expected, and it was already looking great to me before.

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

I just know he's wrong, but if Horizon: An American Saga somehow opens with $40M this weekend, I'm gonna go out on the street and scream for a solid ten seconds. 

I think what he means if you judge sales by the big cities, the OW is looking at $10M. If you judge by the West and Midwest it looks like $30M. I don't think it's a combined total.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Everytime any such movie comes, it reminds me how much Infinity War underperformed Domestic after the opening weekend.

I blame the ending, but then the same ending made Endgame do what many thought was mathematically impossible.

So perfectly balanced i guess.

2.63x in hindsight was still pretty solid for an opener of its caliber, its just that it got upstaged by a once in a decade run in Black Panther literally 2 months prior. To this day I still consider BP the absolute benchmark for all domestic home runs, a massive opener followed by nearly unmatched legs, with a legendary crawl to 700m. Only TGM, A2, and probably IO2 will have exceeded its post-OW gross despite opening lower, not to mention its the run that got me into box office tracking 😉

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

I think what he means if you judge sales by the big cities, the OW is looking at $10M. If you judge by the West and Midwest it looks like $30M. I don't think it's a combined total.

Ok, that makes more sense. Still, he had me for a minute.

• Like 1

Imagine the Inside Out 2 3rd weekend numbers like last weekend:

Friday - $20-22 million

Saturday - $28-30 million

Sunday -  $20-22 million

3rd projected weekend for IO2: $68-74 million which would give IO2 a $480-486 million domestic overall.

It's more likely that IO2 3rd Friday will rank 4th in Biggest 3rd Friday at the US Box Office behind Star Wars 7, Avatar 1 and 2.

Edited by Migs20242
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Migs20242 said:

Friday - $20-22 million

Sunday -  $20-22 million

3rd projected weekend for IO2: $68-74 million which would give IO2 a $480-486 domestic overall.

I feel like $70M+ for Inside Out 2 this weekend is a bit too high. 

Going with somewhere between $60M-$65M. That seems a bit more realistic (especially with it losing PLFs to A Quiet Place: Day One), but I would love for this movie to shock us for the third time in a row.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cheddar Please said:

2.63x in hindsight was still pretty solid for an opener of its caliber, its just that it got upstaged by a once in a decade run in Black Panther literally 2 months prior. 

Yeah especially after Ultron and Civil War's legs were. There's a cap for how good these fan driven franchises can perform post-OW unless you get those sweet Christmas/Holiday legs. It's why I don't expect Deadpool & Wolverine to have great legs regardless of quality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

Friday - $20-22 million

Sunday -  $20-22 million

3rd projected weekend for IO2: $68-74 million which would give IO2 a $480-486 domestic overall.

It'll likely be more like:

Weekend: 59

I may be soft on the Saturday number though. Could definitely be higher, which would also raise the Sunday number. Low 60's most likely.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I just know he's wrong, but if Horizon: An American Saga somehow opens with $40M this weekend, I'm gonna go out on the street and scream for a solid ten seconds. 

No he’s saying that in big cities it looks like a 10M opener and in west/midwest it looks like 30. If you take that at face value then because cities are the main BO driver it would suggest 13-17 or something (I would say more like 8&25 for 10-12ish

• Like 2