kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

10 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Horizon is much more of a Kevin Costner thing than a WB thing. If M. Night Shyamalan can deliver (eh) or at least make a better film than his daughter I can see it doing well.

Though this doesn't say much, it could literally be their biggest movie this summer.

Horizon bombing proves that just because a series is popular on streaming, that doesn't mean people will get off their couch for a trip to the theaters. Now i understand why Netflix doesn't show their movies in theaters.  The majority of them would flop

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Sometimes it feels like I’m reminding people that climate change is real even though it’s a bit chilly on random summer weekday. And everyone gets mad and wants to pretend that the global temperature isn’t rising, the corals aren’t dying, the forests aren’t burning, and the sea levels aren’t rising. Just put on a light jacket and everything is fine.

I just put on the light jacket and you're right. Everything is fine. It is getting a bit hot tho but that's because I'm being attacked by the sun.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Don't think any major studio is going to Cannes again after these last couple years. Meh reviews have been brutal for box office openings.

Cannes are among the harshest and strictest when come to film assessment especially for studio fare, not sure why studio think it is a good platform to create buzz. The only studio fare seem to benefit from Cannes in recent years was TGM.

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Horizon bombing proves that just because a series is popular on streaming, that doesn't mean people will get off their couch for a trip to the theaters. Now i understand why Netflix doesn't show their movies in theaters.  The majority of them would flop

Wonder if this could mean anything for that Gabby's Dollhouse movie DreamWorks has coming 

23 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Sometimes it feels like I’m reminding people that climate change is real even though it’s a bit chilly on random summer weekday. And everyone gets mad and wants to pretend that the global temperature isn’t rising, the corals aren’t dying, the forests aren’t burning, and the sea levels aren’t rising. Just put on a light jacket and everything is fine.

People are allowed to feel happy about the weekend. Unlike climate change, nothing we say or do has any material impact on the issue at hand. Ultimately it's just a hobby and the main thing that matters is getting enjoyment out of talking about it, especially when there is some legit reason to be hopeful; not just because of the last few weekends but also because of the slate for the rest of the year.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 9

We're going to have 2 high 50s movies this weekend right before the yellow takeover. Good string of movies and adding some depth to the market with Maxxxine also, there's Fly Me To The Moon which could do 15M I guess, Twisters after with maybe 60M and the Deadpool tsunami right after.

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yellowstone is huge on cable where it first airs. In fact, it is the highest rated show across all of television

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yellowstone is huge on cable where it first airs. In fact, it is the highest rated show across all of television

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

People are allowed to feel happy about the weekend. Unlike climate change, nothing we say or do has any material impact on what movies make money or don't. Ultimately it's just a hobby and the main thing that matters is getting enjoyment out of talking about it, especially when there is some legit reason to be hopeful; not just because of the last few weekends but also because of the slate for the rest of the year.

I never said people can’t be happy, it’s just the constant denial doesn’t change reality. I wouldn’t have even brought it up if someone else hadn’t done the whole sarcastic “So everything is perfectly fine just as it’s always been” routine again.

Horizon isn't Yellowstone and the assumption that people were specifically watching Yellowstone for Costner isn't necessarily a safe one. Paramount has been launching Yellowstone spin offs without Costner right and left and they've all done pretty well. 

I also think there's just not much appetite to pay to watch a limited series in four installments in theaters.