Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

10 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t think it’s safe to say that. Critical acclaim might be necessary for Pixar and WDAS originals to be hugely successful (or at the very least, acclaim correlates with financial success for them), but it’s never been true for Illumination and Dreamworks. And yet post-pandemic we’ve had lows from original films like Ruby Gilman and Migration and big hits from IP/sequel films like Minions: Rise of Gru and Kung Fu Panda 4. 

Were people expecting bigger things from Ruby Gilman and Migration...

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t think it’s safe to say that. Critical acclaim might be necessary for Pixar and WDAS originals to be hugely successful (or at the very least, acclaim correlates with financial success for them), but it’s never been true for Illumination and Dreamworks. And yet post-pandemic we’ve had lows from original films like Ruby Gilman and Migration and big hits from IP/sequel films like Minions: Rise of Gru and Kung Fu Panda 4. 

Well frankly I'm not all that concerned about how well mediocre originals do. If families are no longer as inclined to give them so much latitude I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, as long as they're still showing up for something. It's the really good ones that still need to hit at least, and DreamWorks has also had some modest post pandemic success there with Bad Guys (yes not technically original but you know what I mean), which is getting a sequel next year.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Safe to say the families audiences are very much back. 

One could still grumble that they only show up for franchises, but we've yet to really get the kind of critically acclaimed original since COVID that you could actually base any assumption about that on. Yes it's true that they have to impress people better than sequels do to be successful, but that's what makes them the kind of risks worth admiring.

I agree overall but Migration was kinda what anyone would expect from a Illumination movie and it did well less than their standard. 

I guess it's true for Disney though. WDAS movies after Encanto were disliked by like everyone.

1 minute ago, Jiffy said:

For Migration, yes. Ruby Gilman was more of a “didn’t expect it to go that low” kinda deal.

51 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Honestly, until the box office is fully back in a healthy place where not every single film has to hit in order to keep the entire marketplace upfloat, no one should even be wishing a movie to be a massive box office bomb. 

I get why people would be upset at a movie that they don't like does so much better than something they do like, but I just don't see the point in actively wanting or wishing failure upon it. 

I know this isn't that thread, but I have heard this so many times about the MCU and other franchises and I'm absolutely just sick and tired of it, especially in this very fragile marketplace. 

Rooting for or against movies is like rooting for a sports team. People get emotionally invested but it doesn’t actually affect the outcome. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That 5 year break really saved this franchise. See Hollywood? You don't need to milk every franchise into oblivion with 1 movie every year + TV spinoffs. Sometimes breaks are good.

Illumination had no control of that 5 year break. Minions 2 was suppose to come out in 2020 but covid forced them to delay it to 2022. In the end it worked out for them by giving the franchise a small break. Rise of Gru ended up being the best DM film since DM2 certainly helped.

I see them doing a Minions 3 next. But Despicable Me 5 really should really be the last. 

It was crazy how much Ice Age 5 collapsed. Don't want to see that happen to DM.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Worth noting that it was particularly enthusiastic word of mouth for a different original movie that was a factor in Ruby Gillman's doom

Also a fifteen year putting more effort into its social media marketing than Dreamworks was another red flag.

Also, as I take a Twitter hiatus for my mental well being I learned Ruby Gillman has a fanbase there and a very weird one.

Hopefully walkups can push it to 29-30M WED. DM2 did 30-ish minus previews iirc and go on to 143M extended weekend. 

But yeah 120M seems like a good target for this, 300M finish pretty possible, insane stability for this franchise

1 minute ago, todos said:

What will the consensus be if it’s $105M 5-day? 

Good, still 270M or so final

But honestly, i can´t see 105M after a 27-28M WED tbh. Seems extremelly conservative 

2 hours ago, Jiffy said:

The only expectations I saw for Ruby were box office disaster.  On reddit at least Migration was written off as a failure after its first week, and most of its pre release hype was 200-300M dollars, which is where it ended up (but on the high side (299M).

I have multiple times seen people falsely call it a box office failure on BOT, as they missed it legging out to over 4 times its budget.

So overall no.  There were some people expecting bigger things from Migration like 400M worldwide, but it overall did better than expected.  

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

If that's correct, then that would mean at least $15M for Wednesday and Thursday combined (Toy Story 4 was completely flat from its Wednesday to Thursday). Then to get $50M, Inside Out 2 would have to do $35M over the weekend. 

From it's $57.5M third weekend gross, that would mark about a 39% drop. 

I'm sorry, but that's a great hold against Despicable Me 4 considering that one is set to at least do between $110-$120M over five days. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Is that people here or “people” on fb and reddit and I use “people” very loosely for the latter.

I saw some predictions here it would underperform.  On reddit their detractors always underestimate Illumination until it comes out.  By this point their defenders just let the results speak for themselves.  On facebook I never check any box office predictions there.  I just read the comments on the trailers to get an idea of general reactions, and those are always about quality of the marketing more than anything else.