kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [Aug 05 - Aug 08, 2024] | Wednesday | 9.87M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 2.64M TWISTERS | 1.83M DESPICABLE ME IV

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It will go below 1m today. It ends with us has significant early shows release. 

Exactly. I don't think there is a realistic understanding of how this weekend will effect the June releases still out - IO2 included. 

21 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It will go below 1m today. It ends with us has significant early shows release. 

Completely forgot about the early shows for that one today. Yeah that definitely would cut into showtimes. 

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I've seen a few Beyond the Spider-Verse posts (not just this thread, but over the last few months) predicting 500+ for it. And I really don't think that's going to happen (unless it comes out in 2035 and inflation takes care of that). 

ATSV already had the franchise's "Dark Knight" or "Shrek 2" bump. I don't see why there would be a similarly massive bump for this one. 

It's the sequel to one of the most acclaimed CBMs ever that left on a cliffhanger. The last time Marvel did that it increased by 27% domestically which actually would not put it at $500M by pretty damn close

Also Spider-Verse 3 needs just +31% on Spider-Verse 2 to make $500M DOM, Spider-Verse 2 increased +100% on Spider-Verse 1 so yes there will be increase but not a "similarly massive increase" if Beyond does $500M+

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I've seen a few Beyond the Spider-Verse posts (not just this thread, but over the last few months) predicting 500+ for it. And I really don't think that's going to happen (unless it comes out in 2035 and inflation takes care of that). 

ATSV already had the franchise's "Dark Knight" or "Shrek 2" bump. I don't see why there would be a similarly massive bump for this one. 

Now if they manage to connect that to Secret Wars - and I have a running theory that they might - then the conversation is suddenly different.

The best thing about SpiderVerse is how unique and disconnected it is from pretty much everything else in the genre … both aesthetically and narratively 

Merging it with MCU storylines and cameos could lead to backlash (and a less interesting movie).

Doubt they’ll do that tho

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The best thing about SpiderVerse is how unique and disconnected it is from pretty much everything else in the genre … both aesthetically and narratively 

Merging it with MCU storylines and cameos could lead to backlash (and a less interesting movie).

Nah. 

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You know what the movies about Miles and the Spider-Man mythos need? An Iron Man cameo. 

• Haha 1

Day 12 between Deadpool & Wolverine and Jurassic World

DPW - $421,150,162 ($13,390,117 on 2nd Tuesday)

Jurassic World - $427,496,750 ($13,130,460 on 2nd Tuesday)

6 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

Day 12 between Deadpool & Wolverine and Jurassic World

DPW - $421,150,162 ($13,390,117 on 2nd Tuesday)

Jurassic World - $427,496,750 ($13,130,460 on 2nd Tuesday)

@Cooper Legion how is it going to hit $665M when it's trailing behind JW and schools start in a bit?

(and yes schools do affect overall weekly grosses and not just the weekend/weekday multiplier, kids to go watch movies much more often when they're completely free during summer vacation rather than having to deal with school)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

IMO giving Tobey/Andrew/Tom a small cameo in Spider-Verse 3 would be fine.

Giving them a major role in the story would be really dumb and ruin it tbh

27 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Eh. The shoe horned Donald Glover in already as a cameo. I'd put nothing past them.

13 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

@Cooper Legion how is it going to hit $665M when it's trailing behind JW and schools start in a bit?

(and yes schools do affect overall weekly grosses and not just the weekend/weekday multiplier, kids to go watch movies much more often when they're completely free during summer vacation rather than having to deal with school)

By holding better 😛  

The schools thing basically doesn’t matter at all 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It probably won't hit $665M, but passing Jurassic World's domestic gross is still possible because even though that movie had good holds, none of them were particularly spectacular (outside of that second weekend hold). 

Jurassic World had to deal with very tough competition all throughout the summer of 2015. From the first Inside Out, Ted 2, Minions, Terminator: Genisys, and more, those movies definitely had a hand in making the drops for Jurassic World weekend-to-weekend larger than they otherwise would've been. The movie still held fantastically, but it would've done more if it didn't have to deal with movies that were eating into its four-quadrant appeal. 

Deadpool and Wolverine may be behind the pace of Jurassic World now, but it could close the gap a bit if it makes more than $50M this weekend. Jurassic World grossed $54.5M in its third weekend, which may be hard for D&W to reach, but is still possible. Then after Alien Romulus opens up, it should be smooth sailing for Deadpool and Wolverine with a nice Labor Day weekend and potentially National Cinema Day boost. 

I'm not saying it's a lock for Deadpool and Wolverine to pass $650M, but it is still possible and though reaching Inside Out 2 is most likely not gonna happen (especially if it keeps holding like how it did last weekend), Jurassic World's $652M domestic gross is definitely the highest that it can go. 

We'll know more by the end of this weekend, but I wouldn't bet against this movie reaching that milestone, which is arguably more important even if it would be insane for it to potentially pass Inside Out 2 domestically. Really all I care about is both of these movies beating Barbie's domestic gross, because that would be a great look for 2024 as a whole. 

• Like 3

Another thing to note about Spider-Verse is that Across did $381M while in a PACKED summer. It had TLM the weekend before, Transformers the weekend after, then The Flash, then Indy two weeks after that, then MI7, then Barbenheimer, etc. Release it in Wonka's date (Dec 15, 2023) and it's probably a $425M+ grosser. If Beyond gets a December date (maybe December 2026 or 2027) then yeah it can definitely do $500M+

7 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It probably won't hit $665M, but passing Jurassic World's domestic gross is still possible because even though that movie had good holds, none of them were particularly spectacular (outside of that second weekend hold). 

Jurassic World had to deal with very tough competition all throughout the summer of 2015. From the first Inside Out, Ted 2, Minions, Terminator: Genisys, and more, those movies definitely had a hand in making the drops for Jurassic World weekend-to-weekend larger than they otherwise would've been. The movie still held fantastically, but it would've done more if it didn't have to deal with movies that were eating into its four-quadrant appeal. 

Deadpool and Wolverine may be behind the pace of Jurassic World now, but it could close the gap a bit if it makes more than $50M this weekend. Jurassic World grossed $54.5M in its third weekend, which may be hard for D&W to reach, but is still possible. Then after Alien Romulus opens up, it should be smooth sailing for Deadpool and Wolverine with a nice Labor Day weekend and potentially National Cinema Day boost. 

I'm not saying it's a lock for Deadpool and Wolverine to pass $650M, but it is still possible and though reaching Inside Out 2 is most likely not gonna happen (especially if it keeps holding like how it did last weekend), Jurassic World's $652M domestic gross is definitely the highest that it can go. 

We'll know more by the end of this weekend, but I wouldn't bet against this movie reaching that milestone, which is arguably more important even if it would be insane for it to potentially pass Inside Out 2 domestically. Really all I care about is both of these movies beating Barbie's domestic gross, because that would be a great look for 2024 as a whole. 

I agree because Deadpool and Wolverine could start losing PLF and IMAX screens to Alien Romulus next week, which also happen to Inside Out 2 where it lose PLF and IMAX screens to Despicable Me 4 even though IO2 almost dropped to 50% during the July 5-7 box office weekend last month.

Edited by Migs20242

2 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

I agree because Deadpool and Wolverine could start losing PLF and IMAX screens to Alien Romulus next week, which also happen to Inside Out 2 where it lose PLF and IMAX screens to Despicable Me 4 even though IO2 almost dropped to 50% during the July 5-7 box office weekend last month.

Correction: Inside Out 2 lost its PLF screens to A Quiet Place: Day One. Not Despicable Me 4.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

By holding better 😛  

The schools thing basically doesn’t matter at all 🤷‍♂️

Why does the school thing not matter? No school --> no need to waste 8 hours a weekday learning useless shit --> more free time --> more time to watch movies. Yeah I guess you can say it just shifts those watches to the weekends but during summer vacation weekdays + weekends are free whereas during school it's just weekends 

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh. The shoe horned Donald Glover in already as a cameo. I'd put nothing past them.

Oh I can definitely see them doing something like that in a studio pushing it on them way but I have to stress that it's stupid and I'd hate it lol. Just imagining a movie where we have evil AU version of the protagonist in the messed up AU version of his world. His dad is about to get killed and his cast of allies from two whole movies are looking for him. And then somehow for some reason we're spending real supporting character level time with live action Peter Parkers x3. It's making me twitch just thinking about it lol. But I can see them stopping by in the live action universe on the hunt for Miles for a little cameo like the Lego Universe cameo or the Venom universe cameo or the Donald Prowler cameo. It would be cool!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Here’s what I’m going to say: it might never happen, but after ten years plus on this message board, one must realize that what some at BOT thinks it’s ’backlash’ it’s a tiny drop in the ocean that doesn’t mean anything at all in real life.

I have no idea if the Spider-Verse films and Secret Wars are connecting but here is the thing: the two first Spider-Verse films, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Deadpool & Wolverine are all multiverse centered films that not only share similarities within the story, they share it visually as well. Hell, you could call Avengers: Endgame a multiverse film despite being the end of the Infinity Saga. That we are entertaining the idea that audiences would be mad at the Spider-Verse films connecting with the MCU somehow would be bad somehow after NHW and D&W is… something.

All I’m saying is that Marvel Studios - and Sony for that matter - don’t shy away of playing with the concept of multiverses, using the vast Marvel Cinematic history and that coincidentally, there is a Spider-Gwen that it’s also Kate Bishop aka Hawkeye in the MCU, a Spider-Man 2099 that it’s also Moon Knight very much like let’s say Robert Downey Jr. played Tony Stark - and will likely play him again - and Victor Von Doom. Beyond Spider-Verse could very much end with a stinger saying ‘Spider-Men and Spider-Gwen will return in Avengers: Secret Wars’ and look, none of these films in the Marvel side aren’t "its own thing" and the idea that Spider-Man fans wouldn’t be hyped to see an aged up Shameik Moore’s Miles in the big screen - even if he is never playing the teenager live action of him in the MCU - is laughable to me.

People won’t be mad if Spider-Verse after Beyond Spider-Verse connects with the MCU. The very idea that the general audiences would be mad that the Spider-Verse characters connects with the biggest and most beloved franchise in planet Earth that it’s bound to release two of the biggest films of all time it’s hilarious to me. If it happens, it seems like a logical step to me. From a comic book fan standpoint to a film fan..

21 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I have no idea if the Spider-Verse films and Secret Wars are connecting but here is the thing: the two first Spider-Verse films, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Deadpool & Wolverine are all multiverse centered films that not only share similarities within the story, they share it visually as well.

How do you watched No Way Home and conclude it looks even vaguely similar to Across The Spider Verse?

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Haha 1