Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Not a very healthy female %, especially for a movie with horror elements. This could explain why the frontloadedness.

Actually for a sci-fi horror, aliens overperform at the Oscar with 7 nominations. Almost like a Mad Max fury road of 1980s.

To be fair, Alien could have horror elements, but it tends to be considered Action movie. This could affect the number of female audience it could attract.

Do you know how big the female audience was for previous Alien movies?

Just now, kayumanggi said:

It remains to be seen how frontloaded Alien: Romulus is, but what’s happening this weekend offshore is that China is over-indexing versus predictions. Initially, hopes for the fickle market, and in a competitive frame, were high-single digits (possibly $10M). On Friday, the movie came in at No. 2 with $6M, then shot up to No. 1 today. The gross through today is nearly $15M as of midnight local time. This points to a $23M China weekend which will keep it at No. 1 in the market.

Social and critical scores are strong. Maoyan is giving it a 9.1 versus comps A Quiet Place: Day One (7.1), Alien: Covenant (6.9) and Prometheus (7.6). The Douban score is 7.7, higher than AQP: Day One’s 5.6, Alien: Covenant’s 7.4 and Prometheus’ 7.6.

Elsewhere, Alien: Romulus is leading the Korea box office with $2.8M through today, and France is leaning in with $2.5M.

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

☑️ 26M Friday overseas

☑️ tracking 40% ahead of A QUIET PLACE: DAY ONE [excluding China]

☑️ 23M expected from China for the weekend

☑️ Social and critical scores are strong. Maoyan is giving it a 9.1 versus comps A Quiet Place: Day One (7.1), Alien: Covenant (6.9) and Prometheus (7.6). The Douban score is 7.7, higher than AQP: Day One’s 5.6, Alien: Covenant’s 7.4 and Prometheus’ 7.6.

7 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be fair, Alien could have horror elements, but it tends to be considered Action movie. This could affect the number of female audience it could attract.

Do you know how big the female audience was for previous Alien movies?

69% male for Covenant, so pretty close to what Romulus has.

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

ALIEN: ROMULUS is making more than TWISTERS overseas. Maybe 2× more.

makes sense. All Alien films since 3 have made at least 100M overseas. Then again the first Twister made 250m overseas.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

makes sense. All Alien films since 3 have made at least 100M overseas. Then again the first Twister made 250m overseas.

That Twister OS performance is going to be one of the mysteries  of the year. WB just dropped the ball on how to sell it I guess. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

69% male for Covenant, so pretty close to what Romulus has.

Thanks for the answer. As I supposed, the Alien franchise is really bigger on male audience.

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

That Twister OS performance is going to be one of the mysteries  of the year. WB just dropped the ball on how to sell it I guess. 

I think it’s too white. It screams middle America and a film that you would watch at home, not really at a movie theater. I think some films just connect better domestic than others, I’d argue that twister as a phenomenon is also much more of a NA fear, even if we do have extreme weather events occurring across the globe. It’s different than other catastrophe films like Emmerich used to put out because that felt like a global threat. It feels uneventful for those outside the NA, I’d wager.

17 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think it’s too white. It screams middle America and a film that you would watch at home, not really at a movie theater. I think some films just connect better domestic than others, I’d argue that twister as a phenomenon is also much more of a NA fear, even if we do have extreme weather events occurring across the globe. It’s different than other catastrophe films like Emmerich used to put out because that felt like a global threat. It feels uneventful for those outside the NA, I’d wager.

this. 

That soundtrack with only country artists have no appel global? A bad choice. I mean they can be there but why they didn't try a song with some artist has a global appeal like i don't know Post Malone, Ed Sheeran or whatever.

For top gun 2 they were smart: Lady Gaga. Her core target is not what do you think is the core target for Top Gun and worked for this reason.

Or Elvis. We know an elvis movie core target is middle aged- old white people in the South but they made a soundtrack with black modern rappers, female popstars, modern rock bands.. 

Edited by vale9001

It ends with Us is showing great legs OS too. This Sunday could be already at at 160- 170M global total or even more.

Definitely coming for 300M+ at this point with serious shots at 350M.  On a 25M budget. One of the box office stories of the year for sure. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

this. 

That soundtrack with only country artists have no appel global? A bad choice. I mean they can be there but why they didn't try a song with some artist has a global appeal like i don't know Post Malone, Ed Sheeran or whatever.

For top gun 2 they were smart: Lady Gaga. Her core target is not what do you think is the core target for Top Gun and worked for this reason.

Or Elvis. We know an elvis movie core target is middle aged- old white people in the South but they made a soundtrack with black modern rappers, female popstars, modern rock bands.. 

I’m not even sure that a different soundtrack would help it a lot. It could potentially help. I have issues with other directors taking notes for projects that apparently make for a ‘stronger film’ but from the way I see it, the film is void of any hook whatsoever for OS audiences. Yes, twisters are extreme weather phenomenons that are devastating in the US. It could potentially happen elsewhere, just like Brazil just was hit with the insane flooding from extreme rain that my house was thankfully not hit with.

But the film isn’t political, it doesn’t has a message, it’s supposed to be a fun thrill for something North Americans have rightfully as one of their biggest real life fears. It doesn’t have a message, it doesn’t deliver on things that would potentially hook audiences other than white dude is hot, I guess? It tries to not take itself too seriously, being apolitical and at same time ‘respect true artistic integrity’ by listening to old Hollywood directors. I don’t see nothing in this film that would make OS audiences to connect, and extreme weather events as ‘spectacle’ I don’t think it works like it used to. More so when it doesn’t seem to have something to say.

Edited by ZattMurdock

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not even sure that a different soundtrack would help it a lot. It could potentially help.

it's not all but it counts or they wouldn't made soundtracks or original songs for the movies. I read once like around 20% of people said they heard about Titanic for the first time when the Celine Dion song exploded everywhere. Of course that's like the most successfull soundtrack song of all time but music is important  for the movies. I mean it gives you a video with the scenes of the movie on music channels, like a trailer on repeat. 

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think Alien might miss 40M. It is certainly not getting to 100M DOM. 

What? Where’s the indication it’ll miss 40m? It’s looking like 42m and 110m DOM. We haven’t even gotten Saturday numbers yet.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

This. It was not a disaster on a global scale and felt very much contained, which was very different from movies like ARMAGGEDON, THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, and 2012.  These movies had crazy plots, but people didn't care because all the audience cared about was the possibility of Earth getting annihilated. Even SAN ANDREAS, which was just confined to a certain state, was still over the top and that's what the overseas audience enjoyed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

It's incredible that in the same summer there are even two films with 650 million domestic. I don't think anyone expected that. So crazy.

Not to mention the fact that two movies that opened close to them will also finish with 360M and 260M. August is strong too. Can't wait for September going to the holiday season. I hope we get more surprises.

47 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not even sure that a different soundtrack would help it a lot. It could potentially help. I have issues with other directors taking notes for projects that apparently make for a ‘stronger film’ but from the way I see it, the film is void of any hook whatsoever for OS audiences. Yes, twisters are extreme weather phenomenons that are devastating in the US. It could potentially happen elsewhere, just like Brazil just was hit with the insane flooding from extreme rain that my house was thankfully not hit with.

But the film isn’t political, it doesn’t has a message, it’s supposed to be a fun thrill for something North Americans have rightfully as one of their biggest real life fears. It doesn’t have a message, it doesn’t deliver on things that would potentially hook audiences other than white dude is hot, I guess? It tries to not take itself too seriously, being apolitical and at same time ‘respect true artistic integrity’ by listening to old Hollywood directors. I don’t see nothing in this film that would make OS audiences to connect, and extreme weather events as ‘spectacle’ I don’t think it works like it used to. More so when it doesn’t seem to have something to say.

I'm not sure a political film will be more profitable in OS. The first Twister wasn't political, but it was more successful in OS.

It just seems people oustide USA weren't really interested in the topic.