Eric the Marxist

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2024) Spoiler Thread

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2024)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

14 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Really enjoyed this, just good fun and Beetlejuice as a character is still a god damn hoot, Michael Keaton still clearly loves this part. Takes a little while to get going and the plot's pretty rinky dink, which so is the plot of the first one so it's fine. The children's choir singing Day-O was hilarious and honestly a little moving.

Glenn Shadix, the late actor who played Otho in the original, used to host get-togethers for the cast and crew of Beetlejuice. He did this until he died. He loved being a part of the movie. At his funeral, which Burton and much of the cast attended, he requested that a children's choir sing Day-O. 

• Like 4

Has some flaws but really enjoyed it.

I was fully expecting they would give a new song the "Banana Boat" song treatment, but never guessed it would be McArthur Park.

Hell, I though i was one of the few who remembere that song, which though a hit in 1969, simply never had the longivity that the Banana Boat song did.

Great chemisty between Jenna and Wynona. And Burton has some meta fun: It in ot a  conicdence that Monica looks like Sally in "Nighmare before Christmas" evil twin.

Another nice bit, in the parody of the Carrie surprise ending, Burton uses the actual music from the Carrie movie.

And in a day of cultural illiteracy, any movie referencing Doestoevsky gets extra points in my book.

Just got home from a very late night Tuesday rewatch and I can't wait for the Tragedy reassembling scene and the wedding to get uploaded to YouTube so I can watch it over and over. Such a delight. I also only just found out today that this wasn't a re-recording of Donna Summers MacArthur Park but that hers was actually a cover! I've been listening to that song forever and just thought the lyrics were a bit silly and fun and I never even knew. 

15 hours ago, wattage said:

Just got home from a very late night Tuesday rewatch and I can't wait for the Tragedy reassembling scene and the wedding to get uploaded to YouTube so I can watch it over and over. Such a delight. I also only just found out today that this wasn't a re-recording of Donna Summers MacArthur Park but that hers was actually a cover! I've been listening to that song forever and just thought the lyrics were a bit silly and fun and I never even knew. 

This is really sad in a way.

I get the actor and character are separate, but it was kind jarring to see so many odes and shrines to Jeffrey Jones. And doesn't he get royalties for them using his likeness?

All that said, it was a fun movie that I didn't have particularly high expectations for, so I had a good time with it.  Liked that subplot with Ortega and the murderer boy. Gave me a Fear Street/Goosebumps vibe (I am a 90s kid)

On 9/11/2024 at 1:22 AM, wattage said:

Everyone has "their" version of MacArthur Park. :)

Had to chime in that it was written by legendary American songwriter Jimmy Webb, who wrote all the best songs that Glen Campbell ever recorded, included "Galveston," "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," and "Wichita Lineman." "Lineman" might be my favorite soft-pop/rock song of the 1960s; it's a near-perfect record. Hoping Webb makes some decent coin off of this and even more so, gets some renewed recognition while he's still with us.

On 9/5/2024 at 11:02 PM, wattage said:

The wedding was a really fun sequence, my favorite one of the movie and Delores putting herself together.

Overall I think the movie had a bit too much going on, it felt convoluted at times but when it almost lost me in the weeds it would do something charming and bring me right back. Maybe trimming out Lydia's fiancee would've done it. But the cast, the great set design, the fact that it's a visual treat and still so fun, that all carries it across the finish line. 

Amen. Movie would've jumped from a B/B- to a solid A if they eliminated the Rory character. I hated every second Theroux was on screen. I realize we weren't supposed to like him, but when a character is SO over-the-top awful, yet Our Hero (Lydia, in this case) doesn't recognize it, it's just frustrating and annoying. I was glad to see his comeuppance, but it didn't eliminate having to endure him for the first 90 minutes.