Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

28 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Wednesday is Ladies' Day so women get a discount around 40%. Women make the majority of movie-goers in Japan and most of them won't go on Thueday when they can go the next day for much cheapter, hence very weak Thuesdays.

How high of a majority? In the US women moviegoers are a majority as well, but only by the smallest possible margin of 51-49.

I don't know precisely but the gap is much bigger than in the US. You regularly have movies with a 90% women-10% men gender breakdown, if not more (Platinum Data, Today I Started Loving You, Les Misérables etc.) which is something that just doesn't happen anywhere else.

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Compare Zootopia to BH6, not Frozen, in Japan.

The first weekdays of BH6 were in late December, those of Frozen were in March. I think it is a better comparison.

By the way the gross of BH6 first tuesday (emperor's birthday) was around 2,5M$ (295MYen), 10 times larger than Zootopia, while first mon/fri 5-days frame was around 1Byen (8,5M$) 

11 minutes ago, Olive said:

Zootopia keeps good amount of seats and screens this weekend, theatres have faith it will hold well.

I checked BOM and pretty much every movie has no change in screen count after one week, and sometimes even several weeks, so I don't know how much that tells us. Wreck-It Ralph, for instance, went 421, 421, 421, 422 in its first four weekends.

Just now, LMAbacus said:

I checked BOM and pretty much every movie has no change in screen count after one week, and sometimes even several weeks, so I don't know how much that tells us. Wreck-It Ralph, for instance, went 421, 421, 421, 422 in its first four weekends.

SCreens may remain the same but showtime count will change.

*1 **2358 レヴェナント 蘇えりし者 (The Revenant)
 *2 **1940 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の… (Detective Conan 2016)
 *3 **1760 アイアムアヒーロー (I am a Hero)
 *4 **1756 ズートピア (Zootopia)

Really tight race. Also, The Revenant is 1st place, surprisingly.

*1 **3553 レヴェナント 蘇えりし者 (The Revenant)
 *2 **3235 ズートピア (Zootopia)
 *3 **2976 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の… (Detective Conan 2016)
 *4 **1967 アイアムアヒーロー (I am a Hero)

Looks like Zootopia is starting to break out.

Edited by cannastop

The Revenant was first yesterday as well at this hour but it still ended up losing the day.

Too early to tell who will win the day. I'm thinking Conan because Zootopia has generally slowed down more in the evenings.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

*1 **4074 レヴェナント 蘇えりし者 (The Revenant)
 *2 **4068 ズートピア(Zootopia)
 *3 **3687 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の… (Detective Conan 2016)
 *4 **2199 アイアムアヒーロー (I am a Hero)

Now this is interesting.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Corpse :

Golden Week (04/29-05/06), one of Japan's three busiest weeks at the box office, begins this weekend and with it comes three major wide releases, along with a couple other smaller wide openers (and numerous limited openers).

After briefly checking Friday's screen arrangement across about a dozen locations, here's how the largest screens and number of showtimes are being allocated for Friday:

01. Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (Toho) WK3
02. Captain America: Civil War (Disney) NEW
03. Zootopia (Disney) WK2
04. Terra Formars (Warner Bros.) NEW
05. Chihayafuru - Part 2 (Toho) NEW

So far, I haven't come across a single location that is bumping Detective Conan from their largest screens, and it still has a lot of showtimes going into its third weekend despite so much competition. Does that mean it'll repeat atop the box office for a third-consecutive weekend? I'm leaning towards it actually doing just that, but it's too early to say at the moment.

I'll have a full Golden Week preview posted tomorrow evening.

• Like 2