darthdevidem01

Why don't more DVD/Blu-Rays have Deleted Scenes Included In The Movie?

I remember the Matrix DVD that came out more than 10 years ago & do you know my fav feature?The ability to pick the option that said, "include deleted scenes into the movie"Ever since then I've wanted other movies to do this but hardly ANY actually do it. Now a reason could be that the deleted scenes get in the way of the plot or lower the quality...but I don't care. Can they not have the "theatrical version" & a version including "deleted scenes into the movie"...is it so hard to do thaT?For example I remember the ROTS & HP Philosophers Stone Deleted scenes and having the option of including them into the final movie wouldn't have done any harm at all. Same with Titanic deleted scenes etc.This may take the option of releasing a "directors cut" or "extended edition" away from the studio but hardly any studios do that anyway...That's been my pet peeve regarding deleted scenes since forever.Do you guys agree?

Edited by darthdevidem01

The theatrical cut is often the directors cut and to change that would affect the artistic integrity of the project. Many comedies do an unrated (although not a "director's cut) version with a couple more scenes but that is usually a studio decision. I remember Todd Philipps was livid when he found out they were playing the unrated version of The Hangover on HBO because that was not his vision. He cut scenes for a reason and the theatrical cut is the movie he wants presented to audiences. Also there are many practicalities, often a scene will be cut that conflicts with the story so to put it back in would be problematic. Lots of other reasons too...

The problem is that simply inserting deleted scenes into a movie with no editing transitions, no rescored music to fit the additional minutes, etc would be a poor experience. Plus some deleted scenes were cut for very good reasons.That's why there are director's cuts or extended cuts since they make a smooth and seamless transition.

• Like 1