diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

8 hours ago, chrisman0606 said:

Can Dr.Strange do well and open 1 despite Luck-key having decent legs?

I'm pretty confident Dr. Strange will open at #1, the gap in presales is huge right now. Marvel films are an established brand here and Benedict is a well known and popular actor here which will help. Legs will depend on word of mouth and the quality of the film.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

Can reacher 2 top the first reachers numbers in SK?

The first one did pretty poorly so I'm thinking there's a high probability that it will happen. Tom Cruise is one of the most beloved hollywood actors in Korea and he's as popular as ever nowadays. If the film is watchable, it should do pretty well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rsyu said:

Docter strange came in 2nd in the box office yesterday with advanced showings (evening). Admissions were 118,020.

it'/ currently first in presales with 71.3% share (268,233 adm)

That seems great for Dr Strange. What is your expectations for rest of the week? Can it reach 1.5M admissions maybe 2M by Sunday?

52 minutes ago, druv10 said:

That seems great for Dr Strange. What is your expectations for rest of the week? Can it reach 1.5M admissions maybe 2M by Sunday?

2M seems a tad high to me, especially outside of the holiday frame but 1.5M is more approachable. Word of mouth will have to be excellent though. Optimistically it could play like 120K-300K-170K-240K-350K-320K.  

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Docter strange OD:431,188 / 549,859($3.4M including previews)

CA3 - 727,949(also culture day)/3,934,515/8,677,249 

BVS - 219,794/1,386,658/2,256,913

Squad - 397,666/1,416,968 /1,898,220

Edited by Olive
  • Like 10

yeah, that's an amazing OD for Doctor Strange. Interested to see how today's number will play

8 hours ago, moviesRus said:

Isn't Sherlock like a huge deal in Korea? I heard the theatrical release of an episode did pretty amazing numbers.

Yeah sherlock is pretty much a household name here, especially among the younger generation. The theatrical release did okay, 1,278,885 admissions and $8.3M, which was a tidy bit of business, especially relative to the other territories. 

• Like 1

Seems like a pretty normal, post culture day drop to me.

I think CA:CW and AoU showed that Marvel, while hugely popular have a fairly limited audience demography in Korea. That they had bad legs doesn't really mean that they were badly recieved, they just ran out of audience from the target demography to watch it. I don't think Doctor Strange's run will play like those films though with the difference in release date, showtime allocation, anticipation factor etc.

• Like 1