diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

11 hours ago, Rsyu said:

Yjs came up with a pretty plausible explanation on pg 375. I'm inclined to agree.

Still, it's double what CA2 did and continues the trend of all Marvel sequels increasing over the previous film so not all doom and gloom :)

Ok, but it's ratings should be lower if audiences were divided by the ending instead it's scores are almost on par with TA1. 

Also, you can't compare it to CA2. It was mini Avengers.

6 hours ago, druv10 said:

Ok, but it's ratings should be lower if audiences were divided by the ending instead it's scores are almost on par with TA1. 

Also, you can't compare it to CA2. It was mini Avengers.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think it's plausible that there's a fixed audience for Marvel films in Korea and ratings don't play as big a role as with other original films. Generally males under 35ish is the target audience and it's definitely not a four-quad film so breaking out above what we've already seen is probably difficult. It's just my thought but say for example that upper limit is 10M admissions. It doesn't matter if it's front-loaded or has good legs, that may be the highest it can go. Civil War had a great opening week, maybe it depleted a large portion target audience during that opening week and had nothing to do with ratings. 

It's a good point though and I think sometimes Naver ratings can be misleading too. Something else to consider is how much social buzz it generates. Age of Ultron last year, despite lower ratings, had a lot of pre-release hype and social buzz concerning Seoul footage and the Korean actress. Also, take recent examples such as the local film "The wailing". I really hated that film to be be honest but it was a topic that came up often when talking to others and those that haven't seen it can't really participate in these kind of talks. I think this kind of peer pressure more than anything is what convinces people to take time to watch a film. Civil war didn't really get that kind of reception and social buzz wasn't that great either. People who've seen Age of ultron and winter soldier and then see the Civil war trailer and think "yeah, I know what to expect from this film. More of the same probably", and when they talk to people around them who've watched it, they basically hear what they expected, a group of heroes fighting for some other reason.

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rsyu said:

With the benefit of hindsight, I think it's plausible that there's a fixed audience for Marvel films in Korea and ratings don't play as big a role as with other original films. Generally males under 35ish is the target audience and it's definitely not a four-quad film so breaking out above what we've already seen is probably difficult. It's just my thought but say for example that upper limit is 10M admissions. It doesn't matter if it's front-loaded or has good legs, that may be the highest it can go. Civil War had a great opening week, maybe it depleted a large portion target audience during that opening week and had nothing to do with ratings. 

It's a good point though and I think sometimes Naver ratings can be misleading too. Something else to consider is how much social buzz it generates. Age of Ultron last year, despite lower ratings, had a lot of pre-release hype and social buzz concerning Seoul footage and the Korean actress. Also, take recent examples such as the local film "The wailing". I really hated that film to be be honest but it was a topic that came up often when talking to others and those that haven't seen it can't really participate in these kind of talks. I think this kind of peer pressure more than anything is what convinces people to take time to watch a film. Civil war didn't really get that kind of reception and social buzz wasn't that great either. People who've seen Age of ultron and winter soldier and then see the Civil war trailer and think "yeah, I know what to expect from this film. More of the same probably", and when they talk to people around them who've watched it, they basically hear what they expected, a group of heroes fighting for some other reason.

Just my two cents.

Thanks. Same thing happened in China as well. Great opening followed by horrendous legs, hell legs have been ridiculously bad WW. It's not  going to match AoU Legs anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

Thanks. Same thing happened in China as well. Great opening followed by horrendous legs, hell legs have been ridiculously bad WW. It's not  going to match AoU Legs anywhere.

Yeah that's a shame, leggier films are always more fun to track. 

Still if you told me Civil War would have done +8M admissions back at the beginning of April I would have said that was a huge success, regardless of it being essentialy a "mini-avengers". 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Olive said:

Also, piracy had bigger impact in SK and China than other markets.

Baffled by people who prefer to watch crap cam versions rather than getting the theater experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rsyu said:

Just my two cents.

Another point, if buzz wasn't the same as AoU how did match it in admissions on OW essentially? Maybe Piracy did have impact like Olive said.

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

Another point, if buzz wasn't the same as AoU how did match it in admissions on OW essentially? Maybe Piracy did have impact like Olive said.

yeah, I also blame piracy and an unexpected competition (i.e. the Wailing). and also that if failed to generate multiple viewings unlike, say, Frozen.

after all SK only has 50M population so in order to move the one fifth of the whole population it either needs to appeal broader even to the older generation that is usually persistent (this mostly applies to the sappy Korean megahits. So far there are eleven Korean movies that hit 10M since 2004 and only four Hollywood titles managed.), or create a multiple viewing phenomenon among the younger crowd. (e.g. Frozen. Interstellar.) I'm not exactly sure where Marvel movies fall into. They don't necessarily attract the older crowd but do seem to open bigger and bring out some non-moviegoers to the cinema. Some fanboys and fangirls watch them several times but it doesn't involve the GA. And most importantly, the Marvel magic only works with RDJ. When without the IM character they immediately lose like 60~70% of the audience. (CAWS: 4M, Thor2: 3M, Antman: 2.8M, GoG: 1.3M...)

Anyways, While CW was generally considered as a well-made entertainment, thus good reviews, it never earned that "go-see-it-several-times" status all things taken into account. (the later WOM about certain plotlines, the Wailing invasion and the leak.) 

Neverthelss, it's still the sixth most attended Hollywood film of all-time after Avatar, AoU, Interstellar, Frozen and IM3, and was surely hailed as an event release after a somewhat long period of empty market. 

Edited by yjs
  • Like 2

"10M adm. movie" is, mathematically, equivalent to $550M DOM if we come to think of it. (one fifth of the whole population X avg. ticket price)

it kinda shows the winner-takes-it-all nature of the market that there have been freaking fifteen 10M movies since 2004. (there were a couple more before which were not officially reported by the current Kobis system.)

1 minute ago, Blackout said:

how's X-Men doing?

on its day 2 and so far 470k total. a little behind DOFP's total (580k) during the same time frame, but way ahad FC (110k).

DOFP's total was 4.3M, and FC's was 2.5M. A lot of competitions coming on soon but the WOM ain't too bad. Personally can see it do about 3~4M.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, yjs said:

on its day 2 and so far 470k total. a little behind DOFP's total (580k) during the same time frame, but way ahad FC (110k).

DOFP's total was 4.3M, and FC's was 2.5M. A lot of competitions coming on soon but the WOM ain't too bad. Personally can see it do about 3~4M.

thank you :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackout said:

thank you :)

just to be clear, those numbers mean admission numbers, not grosses in USD. :) I myself will check the new xmen in a couple days so, yay! ?

• Like 1

CW had piracy issues from it's second week onward? Because it's downward spiral started from its first monday.

3 hours ago, druv10 said:

Maybe fanboys like me were really hyped for it while the general public was like "meh". I generally don't have a clue :D

1 hour ago, yjs said:

just to be clear, those numbers mean admission numbers, not grosses in USD. :) I myself will check the new xmen in a couple days so, yay! ?

I'm going on saturday. Really enjoyed the first two but the trailers were pretty underwhelming for apocalypse. Going in with an open mind lol

Adding to the earlier comp chart

X-men:Apocalypse OD - 296,066/  300,523  ( inflated by Culture day)

DOFP  /   APOC

Previews - 91,295   /

Thursday - 213,000   /  171,065

Friday - 279,147   / 231,243

Saturday - 593,896

Sunday - 578,511

Total - 4,313,871

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Blackout said:

That was is 'live" so it adds in the late receipts first.  Numbers on the other will update and match it during the day.

• Like 1