Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

Have to say those are very solid numbers for a reboot. MOS more than doubled SR's OW in Australia (20mill + cume is possible), it made way more in it's OW in Sweden than SR did in it's entire run and here in New Zealand the film is enjoying a big run, the film's OW is almost equal to SR's entire run and WOM is very positive (not to mention that all the 3 showing's that I went to were packed and was turned away one time!).

I didn't think it was possible before but this film has a chance of doubling SR's OS number (i.e. 380 mill)

While technically you can compare MoS performance against SR but SR is such a long gone memory that it is almost non-existant. Plus the OS market is very much different from what it was 7 (!) years ago. I think GA would compare it to TA, IM, TASM; these are very safe, candy-colored, family-friendly action movies, and whatever they like in these movies they probably wouldn't find it in the darker, more somber & deliberately paced, adult-skewed MoS. Hence, the lower grosses. 

While technically you can compare MoS performance against SR but SR is such a long gone memory that it is almost non-existant. Plus the OS market is very much different from what it was 7 (!) years ago. I think GA would compare it to TA, IM, TASM; these are very safe, candy-colored, family-friendly action movies, and whatever they like in these movies they probably wouldn't find it in the darker, more somber & deliberately paced, adult-skewed MoS. Hence, the lower grosses. 

TASM is a fair comparison as it is a reboot, however it's a reboot for a massive WW franchise unlike MOS, which is a reboot of a maligned SR.

TA and Iron man are different beasts and I don't think a comparison is fair.

SR is the last superman film seen before MOS hence the comparison is fair and for me personally, doubling SR's OS take would be nothing short of spectacular.

TASM is a fair comparison as it is a reboot, however it's a reboot for a massive WW franchise unlike MOS, which is a reboot of a maligned SR.

TA and Iron man are different beasts and I don't think a comparison is fair.

SR is the last superman film seen before MOS hence the comparison is fair and for me personally, doubling SR's OS take would be nothing short of spectacular.

Actually, TA and IM3 are the only 2 Marvel studio movies MoS won't beat WW. I am shocked MoS has actually done this well especially following the disappointment of Superman Returns. 

MOS is going to make more than the first two Iron Men, obviously Avengers is on a whole other level, and considering Spiderman was the most popular Superhero of the previous decade, finishing a little behind it isn't too bad.

MOS is going to make more than the first two Iron Men, obviously Avengers is on a whole other level, and considering Spiderman was the most popular Superhero of the previous decade, finishing a little behind it isn't too bad.

In actual dollars, maybe. But in admissions, it is doing on par with IM1/IM2 WW.

• Like 2

In actual dollars, maybe. But in admissions, it is doing on par with IM1/IM2 WW.

Since when have we started adjusting OS numbers?

I'm not saying MOS is having an incredible run, just that it's doing well considering where the franchise has come from. Especially compared to TASM which managed to decrease OS.

Which would be excellent, seriously I was expecting a max of 520 mill WW; numbers like 650 and 700 million were a pipe dream. MOS has proven that superman's still got some gas in the tank and if they get a big star for lex and correct some of the glaring issues in MOS, I could see the sequel doing 800 mill +

• Like 1

Since when have we started adjusting OS numbers?

I'm not saying MOS is having an incredible run, just that it's doing well considering where the franchise has come from. Especially compared to TASM which managed to decrease OS.

Just to point out than MoS and IM1/IM2 sell about the same amount tickets worldwide.

Which would be excellent, seriously I was expecting a max of 520 mill WW; numbers like 650 and 700 million were a pipe dream. MOS has proven that superman's still got some gas in the tank and if they get a big star for lex and correct some of the glaring issues in MOS, I could see the sequel doing 800 mill +

I wouldn't call it excellent if MOS 2 makes 800M, Superman is a very famous superhero, and there is no inherent reason it couldn't do at least Batman numbers.

2015 is too crowded OS. MoS 2 should not go there.

2015 has some huge films, but there is still plenty of room around them. so far Avengers 2 is the only superhero film for 2015, so there is still plenty of room for another.

Edited by Tower

I wouldn't call it excellent if MOS 2 makes 800M, Superman is a very famous superhero, and there is no inherent reason it couldn't do at least Batman numbers.

800 mill is ALOT of money! Only 4 superhero films managed that number (TA was a project years in the making and IM3 was it's perceived sequel while the dark knight was a landmark film and true rarity in cinema history)

Fame and popularity don't always go hand in hand, while superman was is and will always be a very popular superhero, in the last 2 decades his fame has far surpassed his popularity simply because the various media interpretations (SR, smallville, L&C) just weren't up to scratch so while they kept him in the public eye, they didn't add anything to his appeal, But MOS is different, I saw first hand how this movie is transforming the general public's perceptions about the character especially when a friend of mine who loathes superman normally calls me and asks me if there any good superman shows of films I can recommend just because he's "kinda into" the character at the moment. So for all its criticism the film seems  to appeal to a new generation of fans and that's a fact that we (older generation/purists) have to live with.

When all is said and done it won't surpass FF6 OS number despite the inclusion of 3D and FF6 had to face the likes of Gatsby, Epic, Hangover 3 and STID in the overseas market.

I point that because i find FF6 has being the model in terms of movies that behave the most linear overseas (bar IM3).  There isn't one single market where it underperformed, its reception is great everywhere and i wouldn't be surpriseD that it reaches $80 million in China in a couple of weeks. 

MOS on the otherhand has markets where it really underperformed, where it overperformed and in between.  It's really polarizing abroad.

In that regard MOS2 has a lot of work to do to generate a universally love for it abroad. MOS has lost 50% of its potential cash because of that mixed reception.  It could have reached TDKR numbers abroad and won't even reach TDK's OS numbers despite being overwhelmingly advertised with Nolan's name attached to it, despite the 3D inclusion.

It's a financial success for a reboot but the fact that they used and abused Nolan's name made me inclined to beleive that they did MOS as some kinda of a follow up alternative to the Batman trilogy, expecting numbers in the same range or at least a little under. 

800 mill is ALOT of money! Only 4 superhero films managed that number (TA was a project years in the making and IM3 was it's perceived sequel while the dark knight was a landmark film and true rarity in cinema history)

There have been 6 SH that made 800M and another 2 with 750M+, with the size of the market in the next few years 800M should be the bare minimum for an A list superhero and really you should be getting 1b+. if you are releasing a Superman film in 2015-6 and can't make 800M then you are doing something very wrong.

When all is said and done it won't surpass FF6 OS number despite the inclusion of 3D and FF6 had to face the likes of Gatsby, Epic, Hangover 3 and STID in the overseas market.

I point that because i find FF6 has being the model in terms of movies that behave the most linear overseas (bar IM3).  There isn't one single market where it underperformed, its reception is great everywhere and i wouldn't be surpriseD that it reaches $80 million in China in a couple of weeks. 

MOS on the otherhand has markets where it really underperformed, where it overperformed and in between.  It's really polarizing abroad.

In that regard MOS2 has a lot of work to do to generate a universally love for it abroad. MOS has lost 50% of its potential cash because of that mixed reception.  It could have reached TDKR numbers abroad and won't even reach TDK's OS numbers despite being overwhelmingly advertised with Nolan's name attached to it, despite the 3D inclusion.

It's a financial success for a reboot but the fact that they used and abused Nolan's name made me inclined to beleive that they did MOS as some kinda of a follow up alternative to the Batman trilogy, expecting numbers in the same range or at least a little under. 

Agreed, MOS really underperformed in important markets like Russia, Germany and Italy (although did considerably better than SR in all of them) and this needs to be looked into and remedied, I suppose I understand the Russia part since superman is such an american character but I really don't get the hate in Germany, I would love for our German posters to pitch in and give us their 2 cents.

As for the use of Nolan's name well I have to respectfully disagree, studios have being using the "from the creators of..." tag line since the dawn of cinema, no indication was made that MOS is connected to Nolan's batman in anyway (aside from that Wayne enterprises blip on the setalite and that was more of an homage rather than a direct connection) while say Iron man III was advertised and perceived as a follow up to TA. Also you have to remember that Nolan wasn't just producer by name only, he was heavily involved in the story aspect of the film so I didn't feel that his name was abused at all.

Edited by messipotamia

2015 has some huge films, but there is still plenty of room around them. so far Avengers 2 is the only superhero film for 2015, so there is still plenty of room for another.

TA2 would crush anything in its path. Stay away from 3 weeks of total annihilation, at least  :D

Agreed, MOS really underperformed in important markets like Russia, Germany and Italy (although did considerably better than SR in all of them) and this needs to be looked into and remedied, I suppose I understand the Russia part since superman is such an american character but I really don't get the hate in Germany, I would love for our German posters to pitch in and give us their 2 cents.

CAP AMERICA did $4.8M in Germany, $8.6M in Russia

THOR on the other hand did better but not by much $16M in both countries

Same year, same Marvel team. Must be Hemsworth's golden locks  :)

Source: mojo

CAP AMERICA did $4.8M in Germany, $8.6M in RussiaTHOR on the other hand did better but not by much $16M in both countriesSame year, same Marvel team. Must be Hemsworth's golden locks :)Source: mojo

LOL, did you not see the name? It's Captain America, of course a movie about a hero with that name will easily do worse than Thor, or any other superheroes really, in most OS markets, especially Russia, and maybe China too. Edited by Sam

LOL, did you not see the name? It's Captain America, of course a movie about a hero with that name will easily do worse than Thor, or any other superheroes really, in most OS markets, especially Russia, and maybe China too.

I made the same implication in my post