CJohn

Iron Man 3 OS thread ($803,300,000)

We shall see..... the "Avengers effect" as you have put it, has not only added to its fanbase, but also may have added to its frontloadedness. Not to mention that FF6 will cut its legs short abruptly. So it's pretty immature to lock anything on such early numbers.

You're too optimistic about FF6 and ST2, they won't be big enough to stop IM3.

We shall see..... the "Avengers effect" as you have put it, has not only added to its fanbase, but also may have added to its frontloadedness. Not to mention that FF6 will cut its legs short abruptly. So it's pretty immature to lock anything on such early numbers.

That's what makes a predicter great( and im deffenetly NOT saying i am)...Any dude can use properble math from OW

If IM3 was like IM2 quality wise, it still wouldn't have done 600m OS.All we have till now is first day numbers which is a bit lower than Avengers. But it legs are sure to be shorter. Even with very good WOM, it will still only get to 650m at best.So, no, 600M was NEVER EVER locked, IT STILL ISN'T.

600m is happening.

The 3 main reasons why I felt that Iron Man 3 was going to make 600m OS was due to:

1. No big competition

This is the biggest factor. If a Batman, Spider-Man or an Avatar were released in the same year, Iron Man 3 wouldn't have sniffed at 600m.

2. 3D

This is still a huge draw overseas. Iron Man 2 grossed 318m OS so if you take into account that 3D adds 50% OS, it would sit at 477m.

3. The Avengers "X" factor

This brought about a certain magic amongst the general public. It made every superhero more desirable, even the lesser ones like Thor or Captain America.

There are still some other factors like market expansion and competition for Iron Man 2 (which diluted its gross) that are contributors to Iron Man 3's surge in gross.

• Like 4

Game:Guess IM3 estimate on sundayNo words. Just number

$160m. 

If IM3 was like IM2 quality wise, it still wouldn't have done 600m OS.All we have till now is first day numbers which is a bit lower than Avengers. But it legs are sure to be shorter. Even with very good WOM, it will still only get to 650m at best.So, no, 600M was NEVER EVER locked, IT STILL ISN'T.

I'm going ahead and saying IM3 is going to hit 700m.

600m is happening.The 3 main reasons why I felt that Iron Man 3 was going to make 600m OS was due to:1. No big competitionThis is the biggest factor. If a Batman, Spider-Man or an Avatar were released in the same year, Iron Man 3 wouldn't have sniffed at 600m.2. 3DThis is still a huge draw overseas. Iron Man 2 grossed 318m OS so if you take into account that 3D adds 50% OS, it would sit at 477m.3. The Avengers "X" factorThis brought about a certain magic amongst the general public. It made every superhero more desirable, even the lesser ones like Thor or Captain America.There are still some other factors like market expansion and competition for Iron Man 2 (which diluted its gross) that are contributors to Iron Man 3's surge in gross.

That is all very good but if IM3 was a turd like IM2, none of it would have mattered. It would have opened with a bang, sure, but soon would have fizzled out.Thankfully that isn't the case and I am happy IM3 is doing well.

That is all very good but if IM3 was a turd like IM2, none of it would have mattered. It would have opened with a bang, sure, but soon would have fizzled out.Thankfully that isn't the case and I am happy IM3 is doing well.

I don't really understand your point here. That would have been true of the Avengers as well. I think the reason people here would have predicted those huge numbers (I wasn't here, just speaking from conjecture) is because they thought the movie would be good and generate positive WOM. They understood that, if all things equal and the movie was good, those numbers would happen. Saying those numbers weren't guaranteed because if it wasn't good it wouldn't have done them is not a good excuse.

I can see FF6 OS will get very close to IM3 (wont be surprised with 600+ OS for FF6).

But STID doesnot matter at all. STID will be pretty much non-existed in most OS markets. Any one of the other later May/June releases of  FF6/TH3/EPIC/MOS/WWZ/WHD/MU will destroy STID OS.

Some people just prefer to be cautious and open to every possibility, rather than get their hopes too high and have a meltdown later.

True, I was just kidding :D I had IM3 initially at 500M OS which for me is very good already. And now seeing it has the chance to do more than that, I'm very happy as a fan. The movie's quality, as reported by people who had seen it so far, is not a big surprise to me, but it's still pleasant to know. Make me so pumped to see it next week. Have you watched it, Fake?

This opens in 80% of potential gross markets according to disneyIt this grosses around 650 mill total with a 2,7 multiplier it will open to 190 mill..That seems a little high without china and russia who's likely going to do over 100 mill combined total. That alone is 17% potential.. So with small markets and germany!?! Its more like 72- 75%..That's 170-180 mill..So i'm saying 172 mill by sunday

I don't really understand your point here. That would have been true of the Avengers as well. I think the reason people here would have predicted those huge numbers (I wasn't here, just speaking from conjecture) is because they thought the movie would be good and generate positive WOM. They understood that, if all things equal and the movie was good, those numbers would happen. Saying those numbers weren't guaranteed because if it wasn't good it wouldn't have done them is not a good excuse.

I agree with you here. My point is: it is one thing to predict 600m and another to say 600m was a lock (which implies that there was 'no possible scenario' where the mark could be missed).