CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Frozen has past $20M in China, will pass or get close to $30M by Sunday, could beat MU(¥210M/$34.5M) as biggset WDA/Pixar movie.

Good performance considering massive competitions.

Good :D

They didn't want to use Snow Queen so that more boys would come to see it. Same with Tangled

That makes sense I guess

Frozen has past $20M in China, will pass or get close to $30M by Sunday, could beat MU(¥210M/$34.5M) as biggset WDA/Pixar movie.

Good performance considering massive competitions.[/quote

Its losing 1/2 its dhowtimes friday, but its holding steady this week at $2m per day. WOM kicking in. Should break 30m.

Now, Frozen isn't even seen as a big movie there, and its total gross would have likely been limited even with small competition and more than a month of showings. They sandwiched it between a few huge local goofs and at the end of the holidays, so it has always been doomed. I just can't understand how people could acritically think 30M was conservative and 50M was possible.

Looking possible now Anything is possible w this movie.Even after all the phenomom numbers it puts up elswhere. pessimism still sets in.

Lol, then you didnt see the Chinese (Mainland) titles for Pixar animations: Toy Story 玩具总动员 (Toys Assemble)A Bug's Life 虫虫总动员 (Bugs Assemble)Toy Story 2 玩具总动员2 (Toys Assemble 2)Finding Nemo 海底总动员 (Undersea Assemble)The Incredibles 超人总动员 (Incredibles Assemble)Cars 汽车总动员 (Cars Assemble)Ratatouille 美食总动员 (Cuisines Assemble)Wall·E 机器人总动员 (Robots Assemble)Toy Story 3 玩具总动员3 (Toys Assemble 3)Cars 2 汽车总动员2 (Cars Assemble 2) Only Monsters Inc. (怪兽公司, literality of Monsters Inc), Brave (勇敢传说, The legendary of Braveness) and Monsters University (怪兽大学, literality of Monsters University) survived.

The Avengers however...
  • Like 1

952 next week?

That would be a little less than 30% drop from last week's $50 M. There are no openings this week but a full week in China and Saint Valentine's Day next Friday. $950 M. should be locked... Let's see how it does Monday and Tuesday in China and SK  ;)

'Locked' is a bit too much. We don't know how it will hold in China, it could even freefall against the new local openers.

The week is shaping up likethisChina 16mSK 11mUS 8mOthers 8m957m955 locked. 960 possibleStep up the optimism Omni!
  • Like 1

I've been of the mindset that $100m is a reasonable minimum to expect from Japan, so if it does in fact cross $960m after this week or early next, TS3 as a target will be in the rear-view mirror.

Would you guys say it's a lock for $1b before Japan gets it? I'm doubtful it will get to $1b by the first week of March (unless it gets extended in China), but I think $1b before Japan might be reasonable.

Edited by Ray
  • Like 1

Heh 1B without Japan? Who would've thought it was remotely possible. I had thought 1B was possible but it would've squeaked by just barely.

Just a month ago people thought 800 is barely possible even with 100m from japan. Funny how things turned out in the end.

Just a month ago people thought 800 is barely possible even with 100m from japan. Funny how things turned out in the end.

What is great is to see Disney can be successful by itself, without Marvel or LucasArts so I hope they will try to develop their own franchises or to use more of their underused ones.

I really don't understand why we can't see Mickey or Donald Duck movies anymore. Maleficent is a step in the right direction though.

The week is shaping up likethisChina 16mSK 11mUS 8mOthers 8m957m955 locked. 960 possibleStep up the optimism Omni!

:P

Not saying 950+ isn't happening, but I tend to be cautious when using the word 'lock'.

China seems too high. It grossed a little less than 8M on weekdays, so a 16M week would mean a sub-10% drop against some major competition and a halved screen count. 8M from US and 11 from SK are both very optimistic (they equal to 10% weekend drops after all).

I guess the total as of Sunday will be between 950 and 955 millions.

What is great is to see Disney can be successful by itself, without Marvel or LucasArts so I hope they will try to develop their own franchises or to use more of their underused ones.

I really don't understand why we can't see Mickey or Donald Duck movies anymore. Maleficent is a step in the right direction though.

I think it's mostly because movies about animals aren't exactly the most popular thing right now. The only popular one of the last many years is KFP, others were either underwhelming or flops. 

I think it's mostly because movies about animals aren't exactly the most popular thing right now. The only popular one of the last many years is KFP, others were either underwhelming or flops. 

Ice Age ? Madagascar ? Rio ?

On the contrary,movies about talking animals are quite successful.

That's what Zootopia is for.

I'm just glad they aren't shying away from fairytales and the mythical anymore. With Tangled, Frozen, Giants (ugh, those three titles...), and Moana, along with Princess and the Frog before them, Disney's finding their groove again.

Mickey and Donald have never really been a major facet of feature films, though. Donald was in two of the package films in the 40s, but that's about it.