CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Funny tidbit. Hong Kong's regionalized name of Frozen is 魔雪奇緣. Interestingly enough, it's just the Chinese name of Tangled (Strange Story/Destiny of the Magical Hair) with hair replaced by ice

What an awful title!

Couldn't they just have called it The Snow Queen? :rofl:

Funny tidbit. Hong Kong's regionalized name of Frozen is 魔雪奇緣. Interestingly enough, it's just the Chinese name of Tangled (Strange Story/Destiny of the Magical Hair) with hair replaced by ice

Enchanted 魔法奇缘

Tangled 魔发奇缘

Frozen 魔雪奇缘

How lazy lol... but I guess it builds brand recognition.

Lol, then you didnt see the Chinese (Mainland) titles for Pixar animations:

Toy Story 玩具总动员 (Toys Assemble)

A Bug's Life 虫虫总动员 (Bugs Assemble)

Toy Story 2 玩具总动员2 (Toys Assemble 2)

Finding Nemo 海底总动员 (Undersea Assemble)

The Incredibles 超人总动员 (Incredibles Assemble)

Cars 汽车总动员 (Cars Assemble)

Ratatouille 美食总动员 (Cuisines Assemble)

Wall·E 机器人总动员 (Robots Assemble)

Toy Story 3 玩具总动员3 (Toys Assemble 3)

Cars 2 汽车总动员2 (Cars Assemble 2)

Only Monsters Inc. (怪兽公司, literality of Monsters Inc), Brave (勇敢传说, The legendary of Braveness) and Monsters University (怪兽大学, literality of Monsters University) survived.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 6

Lol, then you didnt see the Chinese (Mainland) titles for Pixar animations:

Toy Story 玩具总动员 (Toys Assemble)

A Bug's Life 虫虫总动员 (Bugs Assemble)

Toy Story 2 玩具总动员2 (Toys Assemble 2)

Finding Nemo 海底总动员 (Undersea Assemble)

The Incredibles 超人总动员 (Incredibles Assemble)

Cars 汽车总动员 (Cars Assemble)

Ratatouille 美食总动员 (Cuisines Assemble)

Wall·E 机器人总动员 (Robots Assemble)

Toy Story 3 玩具总动员3 (Toys Assemble 3)

Cars 2 汽车总动员2 (Cars Assemble 2)

Only Monsters Inc. (怪兽公司, literality of Monsters Inc), Brave (勇敢传说, The legendary of Braveness) and Monsters University (怪兽大学, literality of Monsters University) survived.

I wonder how much will 'Dwarfs Assemble 2' make in China.

Edited by a2knet

What markets haven't opened yet outside of Japan?  BOM still isn't reporting anything for:

Central America

Estonia

Ghana

Indonesia

Latvia

Lithuania

Nigeria

Romania

Switzerland

Taiwan

Vietnam

I'm guessing some of those have been reported but they are just not listed in BOM's breakdown, as the total of the listed markets is only 502M.

What markets haven't opened yet outside of Japan?  BOM still isn't reporting anything for:

Central America

Estonia

Ghana

Indonesia

Latvia

Lithuania

Nigeria

Romania

Switzerland

Taiwan

Vietnam

I'm guessing some of those have been reported but they are just not listed in BOM's breakdown, as the total of the listed markets is only 502M.

I know it's opened in Switzerland. A friend of mine lives there.

I'd actually guess that some of them have reported, but BOM screwed up the title. I know that happened in Norway, where they missed the first several weeks and had it listed as a separate movie. (The total in Norway is now correct, but it doesn't have the opening weekend, for instance.)

As far as I know, Japan is the only remaining territory to open in.

• Like 1

In Thailand, Frozen is called " Adventure in the Snow Queen's cursed Kingdom" very long name. 

Rapunzel = The long haired princess

Brave = The great female warrior

Wreck it Ralph = Villain with a heart of a hero 

That's like the answers to "What's your Native American name?" quiz thing lol. I did that quiz on the internet once, and I got "The Handsome One Who Lives Below". I'm not sure where "below" is, but at least I'm handsome lol.

Indonesia

I don't know why, but BOM has stopped reporting box office numbers for Indonesia since June 2013 :(. Frozen was released here on November 29, 2013. I did manage to find the latest update for Indonesian box office on the internet and it was August 2013. According to that, DM2 broke the record for the highest grossing animated film ever with around $6.5m.

Disney/Pixar films consistently produce great box office numbers here, but there are always one non-Disney/Pixar that manage to be the biggest animation each year (except 2010, where TS3 and Tangled were #1 and #2 animated films). I really want to know how successful Frozen was, since it had amazing WOM, and was in the theaters longer than any other animated films (including DM2).

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2

That's like the answers to "What's your Native American name?" quiz thing lol. I did that quiz on the internet once, and I got "The Handsome One Who Lives Below". I'm not sure where "below" is, but at least I'm handsome lol.

I don't know why, but BOM has stopped reporting box office numbers for Indonesia since June 2013 :(. Frozen was released here on November 29, 2013. I did manage to find the latest update for Indonesian box office on the internet and it was August 2013. According to that, DM2 broke the record for the highest grossing animated film ever with around $6.5m.

Disney/Pixar films consistently produce great box office numbers here, but there are always one non-Disney/Pixar that manage to be the biggest animation each year (except 2010, where TS3 and Tangled were #1 and #2 animated films). I really want to know how successful Frozen was, since it had amazing WOM, and was in the theaters longer than any other animated films (including DM2).

Really strange about Indonesia, it's a booming movie market with 240 million inhabitants, that doesn't make sense.

I really think BOM is crumbling over the time, it's worse and worse.

Edited by Sonic

Central America

Estonia

Ghana

Indonesia

Latvia

Lithuania

Nigeria

Romania

Switzerland

Taiwan

Vietnam

The only market remain is Japan.

It did $5 M. in Switzerland (400k admissions), $1 M in Viet Nam and $1.4 in Romania. 

In Israel Frozen is called "Breaking the Ice", I really don't know what distributors are thinking with these names.

The French title is appealing : La Reine des Neiges (The Snow Queen)

I'm not a big fan of the original name (Frozen), it sounds "German"

Edited by Sonic

The French title is appealing : La Reine des Neige (The Snow Queen)

The Snow Queen is fine. Breaking The Ice sounds cheesy, or more suitable for a comedy.

The French title is appealing : La Reine des Neige (The Snow Queen)

In German actually it is: "Die Eiskönigin“ (The Ice Queen) and in South America is "Frozen: Una Aventura Congelada/Uma Aventura Congelante" (A Frozen Adventure) - Spanish/Portuguese -

• Like 1

I think I like Japanese title the most, アナと雪の女王 (Anna and the Snow Queen). Not only it shows there are 2 main characters, but also it sounds exciting. Like there will be something interesting between Anna and this Snow Queen.

Really strange about Indonesia, it's a booming movie market with 240 million inhabitants, that doesn't make sense.

I really think BOM is crumbling over the time, it's worse and worse.

Yeah, Indonesia is still a small market, but growing rapidly. Until 2009, the biggest box office for a movie was $5.2m, and since then at least 18 movies made more and the biggest one right now is $15.3m. I believe this year we will have our first $20m+ movie (TASM2 or TF4), but unfortunately we will never know. :(

I think I like Japanese title the most, アナと雪の女王 (Anna and the Snow Queen). Not only it shows there are 2 main characters, but also it sounds exciting. Like there will be something interesting between Anna and this Snow Queen.Yeah, Indonesia is still a small market, but growing rapidly. Until 2009, the biggest box office for a movie was $5.2m, and since then at least 18 movies made more and the biggest one right now is $15.3m. I believe this year we will have our first $20m+ movie (TASM2 or TF4), but unfortunately we will never know. :(

we will know,these producers will give their own numbers as usual,provided that they are big enough.