CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

There will be a drop domestically and a few other territories. 900M is the floor IMO.

I think 300m will happen domestically (but not the 370m that DM2 made because that was a perfect storm.)

And I think 680m is very low for overseas, so I think 750m is the floor which makes 1.05 billion the floor and 1.2 billion the ceiling.

TF4, Pirates 4, Harry Potter etc are good 4th sequels to look at to try to see how OS will make.

If we look at these films, OS should grow more than 800m which is what Minions still managed to gross despite horrible exchange rates in most of its top 10 markets (Latin America, Russia etc). So I think 850m OS could very well happen. 

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

There will be a drop domestically and a few other territories. 900M is the floor IMO.

Well, IYO. But the actual thing is though........that's not how it works or will work. Not being a fan of a franchise alone, will not make it happen.

Same thing with the Twilight-franchise. People hate the films...but you can't deny that it had it's appeal from fans.

If something as hated as TF4 can get to $1.1B WW, then DM3 (which will be the better movie) can as well.

• Like 3

Well, IYO. But the actual thing is though........that's not how it works or will work. Not being a fan of a franchise alone, will not make it happen.

Same thing with the Twilight-franchise. People hate the films...but you can't deny that it had it's appeal from fans.

If something as hated as TF4 can get to $1.1B WW, then DM3 (which will be the better movie) can as well.

For sure. I see 1.05 billion being the floor and 1.2 being the ceiling. My guess is closer to 1.2B with maybe 20-30 millions less (1.16)

So because I'm not a fan of the franchise means I'm wrong? :lol: In no way is 1B locked. This isn't me being a hater, this is me being realistic. 900M isn't anything to scoff at either and it's only 100M behind 1B. Edited by WrathOfHan

So because I'm not a fan of the franchise means I'm wrong? :lol: In no way is 1B locked. This isn't me being a hater, this is me being realistic. 900M isn't anything to scoff at either and it's only 100M behind 1B.

Lol....TF4 & Pirates 4 begs to differ.

You do realize that the Chinese markets has grown since 2 years ago and will get bigger and bigger. And it makes a Zeitgeist-movie more likely to hit the Billion Dollar club.

If not....then I'm sorry but I can't help you there. :P

You think there's no way..........YOU think it. :P :P :P

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

Lol....TF4 & Pirates 4 begs to differ.

You do realize that the Chinese markets has grown since 2 years ago and will get bigger and bigger. And it makes a Zeitgeist-movie more likely to hit the Billion Dollar club.

If not....then I'm sorry but I can't help you there. :P

You think there's no way..........YOU think it. :P :P :P

Minions isn't doing that much better than DM2 in China, so I don't think DM3 will be anything big there.

• Like 1

Minions isn't doing that much better than DM2 in China, so I don't think DM3 will be anything big there.

This is a valid point. DM2 made $53 million 2 years ago while Minions is going to finish around $60 million despite the tremendous growth of some Hollywood franchises (300% or more for some films). This was already explained in the China thread. Western animated films simply fail to resonate with audiences outside the bigger cities. To be successful in China, you must attract the audiences in those 3rd and 4th tier cities where the market is fastest growing. Currently, their preference is for local films and action-packed 3D blockbusters and I don't see this changing in 2 years. 

• Like 1

This is a valid point. DM2 made $53 million 2 years ago while Minions is going to finish around $60 million despite the tremendous growth of some Hollywood franchises (300% or more for some films). This was already explained in the China thread. Western animated films simply fail to resonate with audiences outside the bigger cities. To be successful in China, you must attract the audiences in those 3rd and 4th tier cities where the market is fastest growing. Currently, their preference is for local films and action-packed 3D blockbusters and I don't see this changing in 2 years. 

Yes but that doesn't impact DM3's 1 billion chances at all.

Just as MINIONS did 1.08 billion without China, DM3 probably will do around the same amount or more without the help of China.

• Like 1

Yes but that doesn't impact DM3's 1 billion chances at all.

Just as MINIONS did 1.08 billion without China, DM3 probably will do around the same amount or more without the help of China.

Yes, I agree that $1 billion is pretty much locked for DM3. DM2 already approached it, so it's almost guaranteed that a direct sequel will perform better. Good animated films usually progressively gross more with each sequel.

Note that my post wasn't doubting DM3's potential but managing expectations for China as debated above.

• Like 2

MINIONS officially passes SKYFALL's OS gross!!

Screendaily:

Universal and Illumination Entertainment’s Minions has amassed $804.2m

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/fox-plots-martian-landings/5094948.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

MINIONS will also pass Iron Man's OS gross by Friday! 

BOOM!

MINIONS: $811.4M Overseas Total / $1.145B Global Total #Minions

MINIONS is now the 10th highest film ever overseas! 

The film officially beat IRON MAN 3 and SKYFALL's OS grosses! A huge achievement!

It is now the second animated film in history (after FROZEN) to cross 810m overseas! And one of the only 10 movies in history to cross that mark.

Wow.

• Like 1

Your'e wrong. I still don't see that happening. Especially when this one made $817M OS. $1B is happening again, period. That's just how it is right now.

I don't see a huge drop because......it's a must. And i don't see Cars 3 being a threat because...who the hell cares about that movie anyway?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1