baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

The Wrestler and The Fighter...two entirely generic and empty movies that fooled people into thinking they were more on the shoulders of their very talented casts. Now Warrior, there's a movie that deserved recognition.

Holy shit MovieMan!!! I 100% disagree with every word you typed. :lol:The Fighter and The Wrestler were some of the best films of their years. Beautiful, powerful films. Warrior, on the other hand, while strong fell flat in many areas. Nolte and Hardy were its only saving graces IMO.

The Wrestler and The Fighter...two entirely generic and empty movies that fooled people into thinking they were more on the shoulders of their very talented casts. Now Warrior, there's a movie that deserved recognition.

I think all three are great.

One area where I do think TDK got snubbed is cinematography. That high contrast digital crap in Slumdog should not have won out over either Button or TDK.

One area? TDK got snubbed basically everywhere, except Ledger which was only cause he died. Had he not I guarantee they would've snubbed him too.
  • Like 1

One area? TDK got snubbed basically everywhere, except Ledger which was only cause he died. Had he not I guarantee they would've snubbed him too.

Yes I agree about Ledger. My point was I didn't think TDK was snubbed in any areas other than Cinematography. TDK's photography is probably the best of Pfister's career. So many iconic images from that film, groundbreaking use of IMAX cameras in a Hollywood film, and then they give the award to a digital production with overheated contrast. Really lame. Button was digital, but at least it had a film-esque appearance. That one had gorgeous cinematography. Either Button or TDK should have won that category. But the Academy got swept up in the emotion of the "feel good" movie during the financial crisis and gave it a sweep that it shouldn't have received.

TDKButtonWall ESlumdogWrestler5 noms right there!

That is the correct list for 2008. Now back to TDKR #'s this weekend...better chance it increases or decreases tomorrow with actuals?

Holy shit MovieMan!!! I 100% disagree with every word you typed. :lol:

The Fighter and The Wrestler were some of the best films of their years. Beautiful, powerful films. Warrior, on the other hand, while strong fell flat in many areas. Nolte and Hardy were its only saving graces IMO.

I dunno, Warrior made me feel something in a way the other two didn't even come close to. Especially The Fighter. I couldn't stand how entirely generic that movie's overall plot was. It was just a new age Rocky when you got down to it! It had a helluva cast and performances, which made it enjoyable on some level, but still the movie itself was not even close to memorable for me. And as Noctis mentioned already The Wrestler just left me hollow. I never really felt anything in that movie either. Rourke was phenomenal, but the movie was almost too intent on being depressing and "look at how screwed up this dude's life is" for it to work effectively. It needed some kind of pay off. That ending certainly wasn't it.

The Cinematography category at the Oscars hurt me almost every year. I was really disappointed they snubbed the last two Potter films when only HBP got nominated. The fact that that got nominated shows that the cinematography was so good it basically tied their hands behind their back.But...at Oscars night, they cut Sandra Bullock's speech before it ends without showing any montage. Sorry for talking about Potter here, but that really bummed me out.And the only recognition the entire series got at the last Oscars was a tax joke?