ladyevenstar22

think like a man not coming out in france,scandalous i say!!!

i'm having a convo with a friend of mine on fb just now and she forwarded this link to mehttp://globalvoiceso...-not-in-france/i cannot believe it, , sometimes i want to facepalm so bad when i think i was born in that countryi'm one of the lucky ones, i live on a french island that very particular in that we also speak english, use dollars, eat american in addition to french counterparts,and our theatre shows films in english on the dutch side of the island ,there's a small french theatre with one screen but hardly anyone goes there pfff,its more of a cultural center that serve as different outletsshe tells me she'll have to wait for the dvd to see the film, she lives in guadeloupe and they are alas 100% french,and that people is the same country who gave omar sy from "the intouchables" the cesar prize for best actor instead of jean dujardin, go figure and to think just across the chanel the brits have no qualms of catering to their different communitiesthis is such BS !! the majority of films there have an all white cast and i don't see anyone crying foul over it

Edited by ladyevenstar22

ok so maybe its just that the distributor prefers direct to dvd approach for black films in francei also read sony never programmed the film for french market, whyyyy?even if that's the case, how is it possible in this day and age for such a thing to be occurring continuously, there's a consequent black population in france and they don't have options to decide whether to see this film or not, and decide if they like it or its crappy?

yeah but this is a case of no film with a predominantly black cast EVER coming out in theatre!!and this movie is making money, its just lame! this is ridiculous censorship....mind you i don't always like 'black' movies in general but when one is good entertainment i have no problem saying so and giving it good word of mouth , people should have right to make up their mind and not have companies or media council like the CSA decide what they can or can't see in theatreanyway awfully glad i'm not concerned but bummed for those who are

from what i've read there's about 10% of french population that's black but can't be sure as the gvt does not profile citizen origin you're right it could just be that! but in which case the distributors are operating on false premises, if they think there's not a market and french distributors cater to that belief then why are so many onlines communities being vexed by this continued situation and feel left outthere's a reason why i don't watch black comedies or just american comedies in general in french , the translation is a fail;but then i rather watch any film in its original language !i guess i just felt outrage for all those people , mostly i had no idea this was going on...so maybe my reaction is a bit exxagerated!

I have not seen the film completely, but some scenes of it. They portrait middle class black Americans with their idiosyncrasies and problems. That humor is more an American thing than anything else. Maybe it would not work in France without a star. If Will Smith was in it, they would kill for the distribution rights.

ok so maybe its just that the distributor prefers direct to dvd approach for black films in francei also read sony never programmed the film for french market, whyyyy?even if that's the case, how is it possible in this day and age for such a thing to be occurring continuously, there's a consequent black population in france and they don't have options to decide whether to see this film or not, and decide if they like it or its crappy?

I thought France had a diverse culture. Is there not a fair bit of black people living there?