baumer

Top Horror films of the last 15 years: All opinions welcome

I spoke with Brad Fuller via email on Friday and he said there are no plans for any more Fridays or Nightmares. That's really too bad.

:(They may not be masterpieces but I'm all for more horror with the stuff I love from the 80's. Although I'm a bigger Halloween fan, Friday and Nightmare were also franchises I love, more so the Friday series, though.

I spoke with Brad Fuller via email on Friday and he said there are no plans for any more Fridays or Nightmares. That's really too bad.

Mixed feelings about this. I had a hope that they would get better as they went along so I wanted more, but usually that doesn't happen so it may have just gotten worse.But I would have liked to have seen the attempt at least

I think Platinum Dunes did a fantastic job remaking many of the horror films they did. TCM and F13th were brilliant imo and Nightmare was good. They even did a good job with The Hitcher, but as Brad explained to us in 2010, the DVD market has shrunk and they rely on that to turn a good profit on these micro budgeted horror films. New Line is paranoid about making sequels because of what happened with TCM the Beginning and because of the dried up HV market.

• Like 1

I think Platinum Dunes did a fantastic job remaking many of the horror films they did. TCM and F13th were brilliant imo and Nightmare was good. They even did a good job with The Hitcher, but as Brad explained to us in 2010, the DVD market has shrunk and they rely on that to turn a good profit on these micro budgeted horror films. New Line is paranoid about making sequels because of what happened with TCM the Beginning and because of the dried up HV market.

I liked the TCM remake, the F13 was ok and the NIghtmare was just bad to me. Maybe I am letting the Nightmare one cloud myself because it was such a letdown. With better effects now and things they could have done, they found a way to make it look worse than the original.But hopefully I can find some more decent horror films in the near future :)

I thought the TCM was absolutely incredible. One of the best horror flicks of the last 20 years.Nightmare was ok. Nothing special, but nothing absolutely cringeworthy like Halloween.The Friday remake, I personally thought was very very solid. Not incredible, but it certainly delivered for me. I still, to this day, cannot understand why the hell it dropped off the face of the earth after it's insane opening weekend. It's truly inexplicable.

• Like 1

I thought the TCM was absolutely incredible. One of the best horror flicks of the last 20 years.Nightmare was ok. Nothing special, but nothing absolutely cringeworthy like Halloween.The Friday remake, I personally thought was very very solid. Not incredible, but it certainly delivered for me. I still, to this day, cannot understand why the hell it dropped off the face of the earth after it's insane opening weekend. It's truly inexplicable.

Because it was a perfect storm in terms of release date. OD was Friday the 13th, so that gave it a massive OD, Saturday was Valentine's Day so that gave it a massively inflated second day. Look at it's Sunday, down 50%. That's huge for February. So if you factor in that it probably made 7-10 mill more on OW than it would have without those two days inflating it, then you have about a 32 mill OW and a 65 mill total. That's kind of in line with a lot of fan based horror films.
  • Like 2

Because it was a perfect storm in terms of release date. OD was Friday the 13th, so that gave it a massive OD, Saturday was Valentine's Day so that gave it a massively inflated second day. Look at it's Sunday, down 50%. That's huge for February. So if you factor in that it probably made 7-10 mill more on OW than it would have without those two days inflating it, then you have about a 32 mill OW and a 65 mill total. That's kind of in line with a lot of fan based horror films.

Apparently it isn't inexplicable. <_<
  • Like 2

and I was there midnight of the 12th so when the clock changed to 12:01 am it was Friday the 13th and I was in the theater watching it :) So it definitely had the best possible day to open
  • Like 1

Me too 75. And it was one of the most lively crowds I've ever seen a midnight film with....on par with Sith.

My crowd wasn't all that great, but it was still a good time.I saw it a 2nd time about 10 hours later :P I liked it enough and needed something to do

My crowd wasn't all that great, but it was still a good time.I saw it a 2nd time about 10 hours later :P I liked it enough and needed something to do

Hahaha...I saw it about 18 hours later with a buddy as well.
  • Like 1

I don't watch a whole lot of horror, but I've seen my fair share. The Ring is probably my favorite I've ever seen. Blair Witch was OK, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype. Same with Paranormal Activity. They just didn't do it for me at all. I will have to check out Martyrs, though, because, as weird as it feels to type this, I liked Irreversible. I like any movie that can really make you feel something, and while the emotions brought up by that movie are not exactly fun or enjoyable, it definitely made me feel something.

• Like 1

Geez, what are you smoking Baumer? :)TCM (2003) was good, I agree. Friday was alright mainly because of Julianna Guill's boobs. But the Nightmare & Hitcher remakes were garbage.Btw, are you in the industry or something? You seem to have a good rapport with Brad Fuller. ;)