Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Y4 (LIST COMPLETE!!!)

Thanks for the good notice.The biggest struggle with adapting the Modern Warfare games is toning down the inherent Bayhem of the single-player campaign and trying to mesh all the various characters together in a good narrative. That's why I introduced Makarov in the first film, Yuri in this one, and made Ramirez a member of Sandman's MW3 Delta Force Team instead of Frost suddenly showing up in the third film out of the blue.

Edited by 4815162342

June

Midnight: Children Of The Damned - D+

The atmosphere sometimes gets it right, and the medieval setting is cool, but the story and acting are seriously lacking.

Taking Names - B

The funniest movie of the year so far. Tatum and Harrelson have excellent on-screen chemistry, and it isn't bogged down by unnecessary romance.

Booster Gold - B

I'm not sure Duncan Jones was the best choice for director, but the film is an exciting ride, and Levi makes for a pretty good hero. It's definitely better than The Flash, and with the references to that and Martian Manhunter, is there a Justice League movie amiss? If so, Booster Gold will have me interested again.

Giant Spiders - B-

It has the tropes of modern horror movies, but only to make fun of them. Giant Spiders is a hilarious ride, one that doesn't take itself too seriously and embraces its ridiculousness.

Spark - B+

We've never been to outer space in such an epic battle with animation, at least not before Spark. The story is exciting, even with moments of emotion, with a fantastic cast of characters. It's not completely groundbreaking, though, the final act could have used some minor improvements. It's still a brilliant ride.

Rivals: The Abyss - C+

It's an enjoyable film with likeable main characters and decent visuals, but a lot of it is slightly hampered by a script that isn't quite as strong as it could have been.

• Like 2

Glad to see the first Booster Gold review is positive! :D I'm much more proud of Booster Gold than Flash, since I put a lot more effort into it. After all, Flash sells itself; Booster Gold is kind of obscure, even though I love him. Thanks for the review!

July

Pippi Longstocking - D-

Terrible. Why the hell did Spike Jonze direct this? This girl deserved a better adaption.

Nirvana - B

Beautifully shot, it's the best visual experience of the year so far.However, there are some problems with the film's script. It's not that there's no plot - the story is pretty interesting, even if it's similar to what has been done. It's also not that there's not enough character development. In fact, there's too much. This causes the film to be rather slow moving-which didn't really work for this film. The film pretty much does more than it has to in order to set the plot, and that turns into more than we wanted. Also, the ending didn't feel as climactic as I was hoping, even if it leads us to an exciting cliff-hanger. This had an overstuffed somewhat disappointing story, but everything else was so well made, so it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Jane & Tony - C-

A generic summer drama that doesn't really do much special. At least the two leads were decent, but they couldn't work with this messy script.

The Suicide King - C

Honestly, this film wasn't really well suited as an Apatow-comedy. The PG-13 rating really restrained him, and it shows. The film should have been a fantasy with moments of light humor, a la The Princess Bride, but this ends up failing like Your Highness, albeit a much less raunchy mess.

The Last Six - B-

The film is visually solid, creating the worlds of the three mythologies with epic results, and it has one of Giacchino's best works, as well as one of the best scores of the year. However, the film's script is somewhat disappointing, falling to the several tropes of the genre, while still presenting a decent story, though. Also, Afterlife is the only really intriguing character in here, too. (Loki was better in Marvel's universe) Still, it provides us with a glorious sense of summer escapism, albeit not much more.

Cruisers - D+

The Good: some cool car chases. The Bad: Everything else.

Comedians - B-

It's certainly a hilarious film, but the plot kind of overdoes it, and it didn't really need to take place in the same universe as Tropic Thunder. It's still semi-mindless fun. It almost felt like a sketch opening the Oscars extended to a full length film.

July

Pippi Longstocking - D-

Terrible. Why the hell did Spike Jonze direct this? This girl deserved a better adaption.

Because people in this game throw in famous and talented directors to direct throw-away fillers. It's nonsensical, but they do it anyway.

Spike Jonze directed 3 films in Y4. He's directed 3 films since 1999. O_o

As I said, people don't think and just put big name directors with fillers without checking to see if they're actually involved with serious films in the game year.

That's why people should check the Studio Plans thread to make sure that X director doesn't already have a major film (or two) scheduled for an upcoming year.

• Like 1

Yeah, involving Spike Jonze... Ever since I came up with the idea of doing Bohemian the only person who came to mind doing such a bizarre film was Spike Jonze. Pippi Longstocking and the other kid movie, I see them and I'm just think, "Spike Jonze has done one family movie out of his entire career, and it wasn't even really for kids."As I mentioned in another thread, Duncan Jones was originally going to direct Lord Madship, but since he had two other movies coming out already, I didn't see it being realistic for him to do a superhero movie, an original sci-fi, AND a Bond movie, so although he'd fit best for Madship out of the three in my planned trilogy, I decided to switch him with Danny Boyle's slot, since Boyle had no movies, surprisingly.

Let's keep going!

August

Island Of The Blue Dolphins - B

Emotionally strong, and visually magical, Island Of The Blue Dolphins is a solid adaption of the classic novel.The pacing felt slightly rushed, but they developed a strong story in the 101 minute run time.

Morgan Spurlock's Shut Up & Take My Memes - B-

As a redditor and fan of memes, this documentary was pretty enjoyable and humorous. It was nice to see all of the familiar stuff.

The Glass Castle - A-

An emotionally powerful and riveting film, seamleslly adapting an entire life in just under 2.5 hours. The film is especially helped with its strong screenplay and amazing cast of Wright Penn, Bettany, and Moretz.

Summer Jobs - C-

Rarely funny, and pointlessly crude at times, this won't have much appeal beyond fans of raunchy comedy.

Martian Manhunter - C

Booster Gold is officially the best DC lead-in for this summer. This, unfortunately, was my least favorite. The superhero is played by a decent Tatum, but we never feel eased into really feeling for this guy. The action is somewhat generic, and The Human Flame is a crappy villian. I'm guessing that everything works out by the time Justice League comes out, so J'onn will probably get a better film them. Also: SO. MANY. MONTAGES.

Breakout Character - B-

A moderately funny flick with a clever premise - It should have a decent share of fans.

Grunge - B

It's a pretty run of the mill documentary, but it's pretty well done, thanks to Crowe's direction, enlightening audiences about the life of a significant form of music. (With a great soundtrack, naturally)

Remember Flight 175 - C

Hey, guys? Let's remake United 93, but let's make it even more emotionally manipulative! Paul Greengrass is busy with CoD, so we need another big director - Steven Spielberg! He's so awesome, he can direct anything and make it amazing! Nope.

Student Film - B

The film is perky, smart, and funny, full of slick independent style and plenty of stuff for film buffs, too. Miller and Lawrence make for a fun couple to watch throughout the movie, as well.

Knights Of The Lunch Table - B

This film ended up being a serious guilty pleasure. The film combines a clever tactics and a surprisingly good sense of humor to bring a familiar, but entertaining story to the big screen. I bet we'll be seeing a series of this on some kids' network, soon.

The Top 15 So Far...

1. The Glass Castle

2. Sylvarius

3. Our City

4. Spark

5. Call Of Duty: On Their Own Accord

6. Nirvana

7. Booster Gold

8. Divisions

9. Once Upon A Mattress

10. Student Film

11. Taking Names

12. Pokemon: Rise Of The Rockets

13. Island Of The Blue Dolphins

14. Knights Of The Lunch Table

15. On The Set

....Hey, it's not like any other real Oscar bait has come out so far this year.

Edited by Spaghetti

September

Invaders Must Die! The Tale Of Doogie Rounds - C-

A story filled with hit-and-miss comedy, also suffering from unnecessary and unfunny crude humor. One of Ferrel's worse films.

Lake Of The Psychopaths - F

You'd have to be psycho to like this movie.

Duck In Space - C-

Wow, this was annoying and overlong. It's funny at times, but there was nothing else in it for me.

LoveBytes - B

Meredith is a well acted character, and the story is pretty interesting - a story of 90s teenagers told through the internet. It's an original and solid film, but the film just kinds of peters out, though.

Prisoners - D

Generic horror film is generic.

Tomb Raider - C

It's somewhat entertaining at times, but unfortunately, the film never finds a solid footing to keep itself on. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty good, but the film's story (particularly the second act) doesn't really let her shine.

Edited by Spaghetti

October

The Good Die Young - A

YES! The first truly amazing film of the year! One of the great things about this masterful film is its focus not just on The Vietnam War at the battlefield, but at the home front. Jennifer Lawrence masterfully embodies the spirit of anti-war youth in the nation, and Emile Hirsch delivers as an emotionally traumatized soldier, who lost his best friend in Nam. Incredibly well made, well acted, and emotionally powerful, The Good Die Young becomes my favorite film of the year.

The Flowers Of Arvika - B+

The film's main function is to be a spring board for Michelle William's Oscar nod, (It may very well work - she was amazing in this.) and a character study for both her and Ingmar, but it's still a pretty great film. As an atheist, the religious stuff felt slightly overdone near the end, but it was still effectively done without being overbearing.

The Simulation - B

The film gets a little bumpy during the third act, but The Simulation presents us with an intriguing premise, filled with great performances and scenes of great intensity, and it should lead to some interesting discussions afterwards.

Hope-Fear Adventure - D-

What the hell, Spike Jonze? Bohemian wasn't good, Pippi was even worse, and now you're doing half-assed remakes of films you've already done? I'm heartbroken.

Silence! Part 2: The Revenge - F

This was painful to watch. I'd rather have been one of the killer's victims.

The Party Party - B-

The concept is pretty ridiculous, but it shines through its consistent and sharp humor, as well as its big ensemble.

Definance - D+

This film is such a giant cluster-f**k. At least it almost becomes an unintentional comedy because of how ridiculous the whole film becomes.

The Vast Dark: Part III - The Execution - D-

Why does this movie exist?

Funny story: The Party Party idea came one night two years ago when I was on a sugar high, and me and a few friends were talking about how the world is going to end in 2012, supposedly. I then launched into this improv story about how there'll be a presidential candidate who just wants the end of the world to be a party. Yes, it was very stupid. :P