baumer

Trust (2010)

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

TRUST is a powerhouse of a film based on a personal story of a family's coping with a mad world. Every character in this film exemplifies a form a trust - won or broken, earned or abused - and that is another reason that aside from the social commentary of the abuses of our Internet dominated lives that everyone should see this movie. The searing script was written by Robert Festinger (of 'In the Bedroom' fame) and Andy Bellin and is the feature film directing debut of actor David Schwimmer: if this film is any indication of the understated power of Schwimmer's directorial eye then he should have a long career ahead.TRUST focuses on a suburban family, rich in tradition and very closely knit, who seem to be the prototypical happy American family. The film opens with a birthday dinner for Annie (Liana Liberato) who is successful in sports and school but feels a need to belong to the 'in group' of peers, a strange kink in an otherwise emotionally mature teenager. She is obviously loved and supported by her successful father Will (Clive Owen) who gifts her with a laptop computer, her mother Lynn (Catherine Keener) who adapts well to the daily changes of growing up youngsters, her older brother (about to leave for college) Peter (Spencer Cornutt) and her little sister Katie (Aislinn DeButch). All progresses well until Annie meets a boyfriend Charlie (Chris Henry Coffey) on line. After a few months of chatting, texting, phoning, and sharing photographs, Annie is in love - and then Charlie begins to lie about his age and his initial images as a high school jock (Tristan Peach) change to a college student, then a grad student - lies that Annie continues to accept and cope with until Charlie promises to fly to see her: in a mall meeting Charlie is actually 35 years old, brings Annie a gift of undergarments, and convinces Annie to go to a hotel room where Charlie claims 'love knows no age boundaries' and the relationship is consummated.The remainder of the film deals with how Annie's family deals with the discovery of Annie's physical interaction with Charlie. The police are brought in and an investigation is headed by Detective Doug Tate (Jason Clark) while individual therapy is provided by the gifted Gail Friedman (Viola Davis). The events lead to Annie's being informed that Charlie is a predator and a pedophile, the reaction of Will to the lack of speed in the investigation, and the stable force of Lynn. How the brutal outside incision made on this family heals is the major emotional impact of the film.Each of the actors involved offer exceptionally finessed performances: we would expect that from Clive Owen, Catherine Keener, Viola Davis, and Jason Clark, but the role of Annie is very strongly portrayed by newcomer Liana Liberato. This films powerful message is one that should be required viewing by students and families around the world. It strongly suggests the dangers of Internet dating and the possible connection to pedophiles.This is one of if not the best film of 2010 and it was ridiculously ignored. Shame.9.5/10

I've just watched a movie online called Trust. This is a film that I didn't even realise was made, but it's really excellent. It stars Clive Owen, Viola Davis, Catherine Keener and a load of nobodies, but it's about a peodophile hat grooms Clive Owen's daughter. It's really well acted by all, and really well crafted by the director, David Schwimmer (Ross from Friends). I'm really glad that he directed it because I've been wanting to like his stuff since leaving Friends, and so far, as with Run Fatboy Run, it's been flat.

The movie really gives an insight into how a teenage girl can so easily be groomed and feel that she is loved and special, and then how deep the impact is when the realisation comes about exactly what did happen. It also shows how her father is preoccupied with hate for his daughter's attacker instead of comforting her and lifting her back up from her trauma.

The only thing I wanted to see was his face get smashed in, but it doesn't and that's why this movie is different from others. It shows off how good of a film-maker Schwimmer is now. The techniques used in the film are, while not unique, they are creatively used. The final shot (actually the whole final "scene") embodies just how scary the situation is, and that these sick people might be our teachers, doctors, next door neighbours, we just wouldn't know.

A-

• Like 1

and is the feature film directing debut of actor David Schwimmer

Run Fat Boy Run is his feature film directorial debut, but I agree with your sentiment that this is a good second-step (and major improvement over RFBR) to what can be a promising career as a director. Even in his directed episodes of Friends, you can notice they are different than normal episodes.

Run Fat Boy Run is his feature film directorial debut, but I agree with your sentiment that this is a good second-step (and major improvement over RFBR) to what can be a promising career as a director. Even in his directed episodes of Friends, you can notice they are different than normal episodes.

yes, sorry...my bad.