Captain Craig

Disney, male demo locked up now?!

When Disney said they were, in part, buying Marvel Comics/Studios to broaden their appeal for the male demographic they meant that. They paid $4 Billion in 2009--3years later we got The Avengers.

Walt Disney's willingness to pay $4 billion to bring action heroes like the Hulk and X-Men into its pristine Magic Kingdom is a great example of the do-what-you-have to-to-do mindset in the new media market. After years of failing to attract young males to its creative cause, Disney is just buying them.

It was announced today, October 30, 2012 that for another $4 Billion they've just purchased Lucasfilm. And slated for Star Wars Episode VII to come out 3 years later in 2015.

Just as Marvel Studios already had Avengers building when Disney bought it I firmly believe that despite Lucas' saying otherwise there are scripts, treatments and production elements in place ready to go that make the 2015 target for SW epVII quite realistic.

So Disney which up until 2009 knew it had an image problem cause it's main source of appeal was to little girls and tweens who loved their Princess: Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Bell, Mulan etc.

Now 3 years later they have Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader etc.

Is it safe to say that they now have the male demo locked up and diversity enough in their catalogue to not be buying up anything else for awhile? If so, what's out there unclaimed. If Marvel Comics and Star Wars don't give you the male demo nothing will.

When Disney said they were, in part, buying Marvel Comics/Studios to broaden their appeal for the male demographic they meant that. They paid $4 Billion in 2009--3years later we got The Avengers.

It was announced today, October 30, 2012 that for another $4 Billion they've just purchased Lucasfilm. And slated for Star Wars Episode VII to come out 3 years later in 2015.

Just as Marvel Studios already had Avengers building when Disney bought it I firmly believe that despite Lucas' saying otherwise there are scripts, treatments and production elements in place ready to go that make the 2015 target for SW epVII quite realistic.

So Disney which up until 2009 knew it had an image problem cause it's main source of appeal was to little girls and tweens who loved their Princess: Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Bell, Mulan etc.

Now 3 years later they have Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader etc.

Is it safe to say that they now have the male demo locked up and diversity enough in their catalogue to not be buying up anything else for awhile? If so, what's out there unclaimed. If Marvel Comics and Star Wars don't give you the male demo nothing will.

They can always buy Hasbro so that way they own a toy merchandising company which is already making Marvel and Star Wars toys. That will also give them Transformers and to a lesser extent. G.I. Joe. That would really lock up the male demo. Also, Hasbro owns My Little Pony...

Um I'm a guy and I was a fan of Disney long before they got their hands on "Marvel" or "Star Wars" pretty much my two favorite franchises ever.

and the had lots of stuff for the male demographic, "The Lion King, Aladdin, PotC,.." not to mention pretty much any guy who was a kid in the 90s and grow up on Disney (like me) liked, Beauty and the Beast Little Mermaid, Mulan Ect..

but yes, Star Wars and Marvel are pretty much the biggest male driven franchise's ever, but that doesn't mean they don't have a HUGE female fan base as well,

in other words Disney + Marvel + Star Wars = Infinity and Beyond. and lets not Forget Pixar.