A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

25 minutes ago, POTUS said:

HR near flat. YN continues to decline sharply with 17% drop. HR will have close to 50% more screens than YN this weekend due to the better holds. YN may miss $80m with these drops

TGW is looking like 40m/80m thur/fri. Will probably fall into the same range as many releases this past year. 550/$80m - 825/$120m. That seems to be the sweet spot for many tentpoles like MI5, SW7, AM, Specter, XMA, BVS, DS, FB, YN etc that don't catch on huge like we see with so many $200m hopefuls in domestic that land in the mid $100m range. 1B+ is just for the select few like Domestics $200m club which is becoming the $300m club this year

An 80M OD is too conservative, perhaps. :huh:

Edited by nVIDIADriver

1 hour ago, nVIDIADriver said:

An 80M OD is too conservative, perhaps. :huh:

could be. its hard to gauge the OD PS with Thu previews having an impact. In looking at the ramp up of PS od CA3 it does look like a little less than half could occur.

you said there wasn't that much interest. 120m for a day and a half is decent interest.

CA3       TGW    
PS at 1am MN PS OD PS OD PS% inc   TH 6pm PS PS% inc OD PS PS% inc
Th 0.8 2.4     1.6   2.0  
Fr 1.2 3.6 50.0%   2.0 29.0% 2.4 20.0%
Sa 1.8 6.2 72.2%   2.5 25.0% 2.9 20.8%
Su 2.1 8.1 30.6%   3.1 24.0% 3.5 20.7%
Mo 2.8 11.9 46.9%   4.2 35.5% 4.5 28.6%
Tu 3.5 16.3 37.0%   5.8 38.1% 6.0 33.3%
We 4.8 25.4 55.8%   8.6 48.3% 9.0 50.0%
Th 6.4 37.9 49.2%          
Fr(OD) 18.1 65.8 73.6%          

CA3 OD 05/06/16     TGW OD 12/16/16    
  MN 18     MN      
  OD 181     OD      
  OW 625     OW      
  Gross 1245     Gross      

OD/PS muti 2.75     OD/PS muti      
  OW/MN multi 34.53     OW/MN multi      
  OW/OD multi 3.45     OW/OD multi      
  Tot/OD multi 6.88     Tot/OD multi      
  Tot/OW multi 1.99     Tot/OW multi      

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2

The Pre-sales for Wed,

Hacksaw Ridge 2.54M (2.58M Monday, 2.60M Tuesday)
Suddenly Seventeen 1.31M
Your Name 1.55M (2.10M Monday, 1.71M Tuesday)  
Sully 0.99M
Fantastic Beasts  0.66M
Miss Peregrine 0.29M

The Pre-sales for TGW, 

Previews/Thursday, 8.60M

OD/Friday 8.71M

The Great Wall's previews will start at 7:00 PM Thursday, it will of course dominate evening shows hence every holder will be hurt.

BTW, due to the terrific WOM, Hacksaw Ridge will have more showtimes than expected, it gets 18.3% of the total right now.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2016 at 1:01 PM, nVIDIADriver said:

BTW, the pre-sale of The Great Wall is really terrible (4.71M for OD right now), it seems that audiences have no interest in it. If so, it's a good news for both YN and Hacksaw.

This is bad news for China's effort to compete with Hollywood blockbusters. The timing of GW release and the barrage of publicity (at least in Asia) unleashed before Rogue One is clearly aimed to win local audience back from Disney & Marvel movies. They should stop making/re-making Ip Man/Bruce Lee flicks & Monkey God/Journey to West movies and re-think their strategy. Develop smaller, indie filmmakers.

1 hour ago, zackzack said:

This is bad news for China's effort to compete with Hollywood blockbusters. The timing of GW release and the barrage of publicity (at least in Asia) unleashed before Rogue One is clearly aimed to win local audience back from Disney & Marvel movies. They should stop making/re-making Ip Man/Bruce Lee flicks & Monkey God/Journey to West movies and re-think their strategy. Develop smaller, indie filmmakers.

The market is pompous (not only filmmakers but also some audiences) hence indie films are really hard to survive here and I agree with you, at least the industry should begin to re-think their strategy.  

Edited by nVIDIADriver
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, nVIDIADriver said:

The market is flatulent (not only filmmakers but also audiences) hence indie films are really hard to survive here and I agree with you, at least the industry should begin to re-think their strategy.  

Don't think you used the right word there, buddy. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nVIDIADriver said:

The market is flatulent (not only filmmakers but also audiences) hence indie films are really hard to survive here and I agree with you, at least the industry should begin to re-think their strategy.  

Get Hong Kong directors to do more movies

20 minutes ago, Olive said:

I have watched TGW, feels like Battle of Five armies mixed with Independence Day 2 settled in Ancient China...

Just a mediocre blockbuster with paper-thin plotline and weak characters. 

That's disappointing. Zhang Yimou was always known for his quality works.

Did the Chinese actors get decent screentime?

10 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Yeah, about 2/3 of are Chinese actors, and Jing Tian is the protagonist who has more screen time than other Chinese combined.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olive said:

Yeah, about 2/3 of are Chinese actors, and Jing Tian is the protagonist who has more screen time than other Chinese combined.

Jing Tian's resources are interesting. Somebody at Legendary likes her a lot.

Well, that's good to hear at least. Because people who went to see the screen test for this months ago said the Chinese actors barely had screentime and the focus was on Matt Damon. Maybe they edited it after the backlash. I do wonder if this is a "China Only" edit and the international release is different.

17 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Jing Tian's resources are interesting. Somebody at Legendary likes her a lot.

Well, that's good to hear at least. Because people who went to see the screen test for this months ago said the Chinese actors barely had screentime and the focus was on Matt Damon. Maybe they edited it after the backlash. I do wonder if this is a "China Only" edit and the international release is different.

That's why she is in the new Kong movie.

8 hours ago, zackzack said:

The Ip Man films are linked to Rogue One though, if you get what I mean. 
I am sure Ip Man 3's success at the China BO this March will be vital to Rogue One's 2017 success in China.
But JTTW, I agree with you. Too oversatured. Gosh its crazy, every1 wants a piece of journey to the west.

6 hours ago, Polaroids said:

Actually I am not surprised.
I live in Singapore, and one of my friend is part of the team helping with the CGI and smoothing the edits of TGW, and he can't complain enough.

Stephen Chow's Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons did so well in 2013 and The Monkey King did so well in 2014 that they inspired so many filmmakers and directors to film their own new movie versions of the novel. The story sells. Probably the most profitable IP in China. 

That being said, Stephen Chow's take on it is refreshingly different (probably because it's loosely adapted.. and you know, it's Stephen Chow) so I don't mind him making more JTTW movies. 

Wednesday Estimates
Hacksaw Ridge ¥16.1M/170M
Suddenly Seventeen ¥8.3M/104M  
Your Name ¥6.35M /516M  
Sully ¥3.65M/50.6M
Fantastic Beasts  ¥2.45M /578M  
Miss Peregrine ¥1.22M /114M 
Moana ¥0.63M /182M 

• Like 6

The Per-Sales for Thursday,

The Great Wall 14.41M 

Hacksaw 2.18M (2.54M yesterday, -14%)

Your Name  1.29M (1.55M yesterday, -17%)

Suddenly Seventeen 1.00M

Sully 0.73M

Fantastic Beasts 0.57M

The Great Wall will of course dominate evening shows today, but it seems too tough to pass 40M/US$5.79M. Due to strong WOM, Hacksaw got 21.3% of the total showtimes today. both YN and Sully lost 1/4 of their showtimes. 

• Like 1