A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

firedeep, where did you get that dollar gross for The Expendables?

I have it as $32,170,000 as a final gross, and that was from Screen International in their yearly round-up at the start of 2011.

I just used its 218,760,000 RMB gross divided 2010 year end exchange rate 6.65:1.

can you please link these from the first page?

could not. The forums have a limitation on the length of each post. I don't have much posts on page 1. And I can only edit my own posts.Maybe I should have a better plan (on page 1) when a new China thread is made. Anyway, in one year, this thread will grow too big that Shawn will have to close it (since long thread causes access problem to the forums) .

could not. The forums have a limitation on the length of each post. I don't have much posts on page 1. And I can only edit my own posts.Maybe I should have a better plan (on page 1) when a new China thread is made. Anyway, in one year, this thread will grow too big that Shawn will have to close it (since long thread causes access problem to the forums) .

in your first post make an index with links: for instance Chinese grosses 2002 http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/678-china-bo-cume-tdkr-51m-tasm-48m-te2-40m-prom-29m/page__st__3760

Early estimates (Monday) for last week:

Ex2 about 49M yuan $8M, down less than 50%, cume now definitely over 300M yuan, close to $48m.

PROM about 30M yuan, down less than 50%, cume now definitely over 216M yuan, close to $34.5m.

TDKR about 20M yuan, down 48%, cume now about 344M yuan / $54.6m.

TASM about 14M yuan, down 50%, cume now about 318M yuan / right over $50m. @fmpro :)

Women in Black opened to flopping $1.5M via 3 days.

Tad, the Lost Explore standed at $2m after 2 weekends.

Edit: official cash out in 24 hours. Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Might mention that the Chinese version of The Woman in Black was censored -- the ending was cut short to remove

the main character and his son encountering their dead wife/mother after getting killed by the train.

I think they also made cuts to the scene where

the woman in black is "reunited" with her son,

but I'm not certain about that. Ghosts and reincarnation are a touchy subject for the censors (since they're "feudal superstitions"), but the entire movie is basically about a ghost, so I'm not sure what the rationale was for these particular cuts. I guess they don't want people to think that dying is an effective method for getting reunited with loved ones?

Might mention that the Chinese version of The Woman in Black was censored -- the ending was cut short to remove

the main character and his son encountering their dead wife/mother after getting killed by the train.

I think they also made cuts to the scene where

the woman in black is "reunited" with her son,

but I'm not certain about that. Ghosts and reincarnation are a touchy subject for the censors (since they're "feudal superstitions"), but the entire movie is basically about a ghost, so I'm not sure what the rationale was for these particular cuts. I guess they don't want people to think that dying is an effective method for getting reunited with loved ones?

You are 100% correct. I saw it yesterday and I didn't see any of what you just mentioned. Must have been cut. Fucking Chinese censors!!!!!! I am going to HK this week for a day or two, I will make sure I catch TE2 and a few others.

firedeep, what do you think, is dredd 3d going to be released in china? if so, how much can it make? i woul love if it succeds, it is a non hollywood, non US production, middle budget (50M) - but for a non HW film its budget is pretty high.

Of course it won't get released in China. Far too violent, not from a major studio, and to top it off it's not even a Chinese co-production.

Good arcticle, I agree with very most of it.

firedeep, what do you think, is dredd 3d going to be released in china? if so, how much can it make? i woul love if it succeds, it is a non hollywood, non US production, middle budget (50M) - but for a non HW film its budget is pretty high.

I dont think Dredd can get a China release. It's crazy violent from what I heard and maybe even have some politically sensitive elements, which the Chinese goverment always keep an close eye on. Anyway, bunches of other foreign movies are waiting to get a China release. Why Dredd.

firedeep, btw, is there a table of most expensive chinese movies somewhere in chinese?

Afraid no such table. But apparantly, The Flowers Of War is the most expensive Chinese film ever with a reported budget of $94M. Red Cliff (赤壁) (part 1 and part 2 combined) costed $70M widely said. Rest Chinese movies cost much less than the two. Usually a big Chinese movie costs a range of $5M-15M to produce. For smaller movies, even far less than $1M. This summer's hit, Painted Skin 2 (画皮2) only costed about 10M, according to insiders, despite officially reported 120M yuan / 19M.

Early estimates (Monday) for last week:

Ex2 about 49M yuan $8M, down less than 50%, cume now definitely over 300M yuan, close to $48m.

PROM about 30M yuan, down less than 50%, cume now definitely over 216M yuan, close to $34.5m.

TDKR about 20M yuan, down 48%, cume now about 344M yuan / $54.6m.

TASM about 14M yuan, down 50%, cume now about 318M yuan / right over $50m. @fmpro :)

Women in Black opened to flopping $1.5M via 3 days.

Tad, the Lost Explore standed at $2m after 2 weekends.

Edit: official cash out in 24 hours.

Yahoooooooooooooo :) :)

Very happy about that EX2 number also

• Like 1