A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I know nobody is really expecting The Lone Ranger to do well here, but my regular Wanda theater is dumping it on their second-smallest screen (the smallest is a "VIP" theater with only 17 seats). This isn't a Wanda thing, because another Wanda theater in my area has it on their largest screen. I can understand if my theater prefers to save their big screens for Young Detective Dee, but they have TLR on a screen with 95 seats and The Fox Lover and Amazing on a screen with 119. Uh?

Edited by Bob Violence

The Lone Ranger is a Western movie, so it was never going to do well in the first place. Plus by the time it gets released in China, everybody who has heard about it knows it is an awfully received movie and has flopped at the box office.

I'm pretty sure it's going to do better this weekend than The Fox Lover and Amazing. Cross is on a bigger screen too, and from what I can tell it was dead on arrival.

Edit: Just checked the schedule again and they've had second thoughts--they added an evening showing of TLR on one of the big screens.

Edited by Bob Violence

NYSM came out in Taiwan all the way back on May 31st. Some brief googling shows it made 130 million NTD (about US$4.4m) after a month in theaters, which is pretty respectable for Taiwan. Also that GFTB poster is probably from Hong Kong, as Golden Scene is a Hong Kong distributor. It doesn't have a release date though.

lol i should drop my habit of bugging ppl first & google 2nd :lol: thx 4 the answer & the dvd actually was suposed to release in Sept there already & it really had a nice run there

Yeah it really makes sense for it 2 be HK b/c it was all planned to release this July & then bluebomb said it just disappeared from the schedule. Maybe now that there is a poster my hope just revived

thx for the answer :wub:

hopefully TLR can get some decent money

not holding my breath tho :(

Edited by Leyla

The Mandarin version is the original though. Carina Lau is the only Cantonese actor with a major role and I think even she did her lines in Mandarin. Unless you prefer watching Chinese movies dubbed in Cantonese, which is fair enough.

I liked it all right but thought it was a climbdown from the first film (and Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, which grew on me with the second viewing). Both the original and the prequel are more dependent on Crazy Ideas than a conventional, well-structured story, but the ideas this time feel more ordinary, and one key element of the mystery comes too close to one from the first film. Plus the sea dragon of the title is both a red herring and something we're supposed to be deeply concerned with, judging from the way it suddenly takes center stage at the finale (after being forgotten for most of the film). And Mark Chao is fine but he's no Andy Lau, which I imagine is why this one is more like an ensemble film than the first.

And oh yeah, that 3D underwater footage they're hyping in the publicity? That's like two minutes of the movie, tops. Were they really that desperate for a marketing hook? It's a Detective Dee prequel, it didn't need anything more than that.

The first one we had a few HK cast, so it will be better in Canto version. I am fine with Mandarin this time. Yeah, I like FSoDG, it is something very thrilling for me. RoSD is indeed not as great as the first. The beginning is  abit boring but luckily the climax is still fine. The only thing is I do not expect is about *that dragon* (LMAO). 

Maybe they would want to market Tsui Hark as China version's of James Cameron. The marketing on 3D in water is not necessary, as the film is for sure will be big. However, it is great to see the visual effects are great than the other local productions, I can say, very good for a Chinese production.

Thursday (10.10):

[*]Now You See Me --- 11.2M --- NEW ---- 11.2M [*]Rise of Sea Dragon --- 10M --- -21% ---- 500M [*]Out of Inferno --- 3M --- -37% ---- 109M [*]The Lone Ranger --- 2.8M --- -50% ---- 61.2M [*]Amazing --- 1.4M --- -18% ---- 34.7M

NYSM should do $10M 4-days opening and $20m+ total. 

YDD crossed 500M on Thu. It slowed down quicker than expected. 600M should be its up limit.

TLR collapsed as the arrival of NYSM, down helfty 50% from Wed. Even 90M $15m now seems out of reach.

• Like 1