A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Weekly (11.4~10.10) Box Office (rough report):

[*]#1. Thor the Dark World ---- 127M  ----- NEW [*]#1. Escape Plan ---- 127M ----- NEW [*]#3. Hotel Transylvania ---- 21.8M ----- 56.8M [*]#4. Stalingrad ----- 17M -----67.8M [*]#5. Love You for Loving Me ----- 10.1M ----- NEW

Other tally: TW 248M $40.6M, NYSM 142.5M $23.3M

[*]#1 is a tie between TDW and EP. Guess we will have to wait for Tuesday actuals/adjusts to clearly know which one actually opened higher ......

Surprising and astonishing 7-days opening for EP. 127m $20.8m marks second biggest opening for a Stallone starring movie, not much behind that of Expendables 2 (159m, 6days). It is also one of the better openings among a handful similar action flicks ever and the second best opening for any buyout film in 2013. EP now is the 3rd 100m+ gross for Stallone and the 2nd 100m+ grosser for Schwarzenegger in China. A tally over $35m for it now is very possible, which will make China as its biggest market by far.

[*]Softer than expected but still respectable opening for TDW. The 3days opening, though less than the first 4days of Man of Steel (160m), is about similar to that (115m) of another big budget fantasy sequel Hobbit, which opened on Feb 22 earilier this year. And after 3days, TDW already well pasted the total take of its predecessor Thor, which was released in May 2011 and took merely 98m yuan. With less compeition than MOS had its 2nd week, TDW should target to catching up with MOS by next Sunday, aka 290m. 

Everything else briefly:
    [*]HT, as an animation that got delayed over one year, continues its solid run; Russia's Starlingrad drops like a rock however it is already the biggest non-Chinese non-English language release, which is not shabby at all; A handful of local rom-coms opened on Friday, aiming for the Single day slot boost, unfornatuely only one of them barely managed to secure a spot in the top 5; Fox's Wolverine is in its later China run with a cumulative right over $40m, which makes it triple the total gross of its predecessor and by far the biggest hit of any X-MEN movie in China; LGF's NYSM closed its run on Sunday with a tally of solid $23.3m. 

• Like 1

The head of Universal was recently in China for a conference or something and said Despicable Me 2 will be released here early next year. I looked over the in-house magazine of the Broadway Cinema chain yesterday and it said the same thing. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but Universal still seems dead-set on trying. Hotel Transylvania not horribly tanking despite being a year late is probably reinforcing their conviction.

Edited by Bob Violence

The head of Universal was recently in China for a conference or something and said Despicable Me 2 will be released here early next year. I looked over the in-house magazine of the Broadway Cinema chain yesterday and it said the same thing. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but Universal still seems dead-set on trying. Hotel Transylvania not horribly tanking despite being a year late is probably reinforcing their conviction.

If that is the case (Uni. plans to get DM2 released sometime next year), I wonder why they didnt even try it eariler this year. They could totally dumb Rush and choose DM2 as one of their quota. The partner of Universal in China is EDKO. As far as I know, Universal didnt even try to make DM2 happen (at least not until their head speaked in the news above), nothing like the rumors citing SARFT think there is anything sensitive in the movie.

I think HT is doing just fine, if not solid. More than $10m is respectable for any original animation. Croods is an exceptional hit but very few can actually put a run like that. Just a few years ago, most Hollywood (and local) animated movies merely could do more than $2m. Last year, even Wreck-It Ralph with very positive WOM and a date-to-date release only managed about $10m. Not to mention Brave unquestionably bombed.

Edited by firedeep

If that is the case (Uni. plans to get DM2 released sometime next year), I wonder why they didnt even try it eariler this year. They could totally dumb Rush and choose DM2 as one of their quota. The partner of Universal in China is EDKO. As far as I know, Universal didnt even try to make DM2 happen (at least not until their head speaked in the news above), nothing like the rumors citing SARFT think there is anything sensitive in the movie.

I think HT is doing just fine, if not solid. More than $10m is respectable for any original animation. Croods is an exceptional hit but very few can actually put a run like that. Just a few years ago, most Hollywood (and local) animated movies merely could do more than $2m. Last year, even Wreck-It Ralph with very positive WOM and a date-to-date release only managed about $10m. Not to mention Brave unquestionably bombed.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/big-week-for-china-hollywood-ties-universal-to-open-beijing-office/

• Like 1

This report from August has a claim (apparently originating from SARFT or whatever the hell they're calling themselves now) that DM2 fell victim to a dispute between Universal and Edko over which titles to import. So maybe what happened is that Edko vetoed DM2, but now that Universal is setting up their own mainland office, they can handle it themselves.

• Like 1