A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I'm really looking forward to the Shanghai Festival which R-rated movies are available to audience regardless of the SARFT...Last year I watched a mexican movie with great intimacy and nudes, and there were young people around as well. I guess I was lucky enough to see people having sex on screen in mainland China.

I'm really looking forward to the Shanghai Festival which R-rated movies are available to audience regardless of the SARFT...Last year I watched a mexican movie with great intimacy and nudes, and there were young people around as well. I guess I was lucky enough to see people having sex on screen in mainland China.

Hey do you have more infos on this festival ? Is it open for everybody etc ?

I would happily go there.

Might post other Sat estimates as well:

ASM2 ---- 38M ----- 469M

CH ----- 30.5M ---- 54.3M

Hypnotist ---- 8M ---- 240M

Classmate ---- 6M ---- 429M

Hummingbird ---- 1.2M ---- 27.5M

RIO2 ---- 1M ----- 242M

A bit less than 80m OW for Coming Home, disappointing. But it could have strong legs. 300m is still possible with holidays in two weeks.

ASM2 could reach 490m by Sunday. It should close between 550m~600m ........ dependning on how it holds against X-MEN next Friday. Had it release two days earlier, $100m would be easy.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 5

so 88-96m usd finish for tasm2. not bad at all. great rise from tasm1's 48m (albeit going against tdkr's 52m day to day)

that it fell 20m behind ca2 in china sort of puts a small dampner, considering it's non-china os looks to end bigger than ca2's.

Edited by a2k

so 88-96m usd finish for tasm2. not bad at all. great rise from tasm1's 48m (albeit going against tdkr's 52m day to day)

that it fell 20m behind ca2 in china sort of puts a small dampner, considering it's non-china os looks to end bigger than ca2's.

But it's other O/S numbers are mostly flat or less than the first with mediocre legs so a 90-100% increase off what was not an inconsiderable $48m from 2012 is rather good by comparison.

When in ASM2's last day in China?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I'm guessing 220M or so, it depends on how long of a period it will be without 3D or foreign pic for it to dominate.  I can't/don't see local films that can hold this off (sorry tiny times 3) so depends on how soon Dragon 2 or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes come up.

My guess too, for now. People's expectations for TF4 are really huge, like 1.5B+ or even 2B huge. But there is a chance that it could disappoint compared with expectations. I.E. It could actually show a small increase from TF3. After all, TF3 was already big enough. The marketing of TF4 so far is still quiet. Seems like they are quite confident that all people will automatically show up as long as it opens.

Summer schedule looks to be atm (only major releases, of course):

6.6 ---- Edge of Tomorrow ----- 2D/3D/IMAX

6.13 ----- Godzilla ------ 3D/IMAX

6.17 ---- Maleficent ------ 3D/IMAX

6.27 ---- TF4 ----- 2D/3D/IMAX

6.27 ---- The Breakup Guru----- 2D

7.10 ---- Seer 3 ----- 2D

7.17 ---- Tiny Times 3 ----- 2D

7.17 ---- Bunshinsaba 3 ----- 2D

7.18 ---- The House That Never Dies ----- 2D/IMAX

7.25 ---- The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom ----- 3D

7.25 ---- Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 ----- 2D

8.15 ---- The Expendables 3 ----- 2D

8.22 ---- How to Train your Dragons 2 ----- 3D

8.xx ----- Jupiter Ascending ---- 3D/IMAX

8.xx ----- Guardians of the Galaxy ---- 3D/IMAX

Fanbingbing and Johnnie To (Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2) will battle for the Chinese Valentine Day slot, which falls on 8.2 this year.

Apes and Turtles however seem will go to September. Then 2014 is pretty much over for Hollywood big movies. Interstellar wont be released this year. 

June has the strongest line up of all months. It's a critical month for the whole year. 28B probably wont happen if June doesnot hit 3B. TF4 has little competition within 20 days after OD. But it does have a sea of powerful competitors pre-release. Plus the Deng Chao-Yang Mi ROM-COM The Breakup Guru is not to be underestimated.

April was flat with last year, causing the first four months of 2014 (8.52B) just running 23.2% ahead of 2013. First half of May is even behind 2013 ....

Without Interstellar, all hope relys on Godzilla, TF4 and Bullets. Rest are all fillers, even The Crossing 1/2.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 5

My guess too, for now. People's expectations for TF4 are really huge, like 1.5B+ or even 2B huge. But there is a chance that it could disappoint compared with expectations. I.E. It could actually show a small increase from TF3. After all, TF3 was already big enough. The marketing of TF4 so far is still quiet. Seems like they are quite confident that all people will automatically show up as long as it opens.Summer schedule looks to be atm (only major releases, of course):6.6 ---- Edge of Tomorrow ----- 2D/3D/IMAX6.13 ----- Godzilla ------ 3D/IMAX6.17 ---- Maleficent ------ 3D/IMAX6.27 ---- TF4 ----- 2D/3D/IMAX6.27 ---- The Breakup Guru----- 2D7.10 ---- Seer 3 ----- 2D7.17 ---- Tiny Times 3 ----- 2D7.17 ---- Bunshinsaba 3 ----- 2D7.18 ---- The House That Never Dies ----- 2D/IMAX7.25 ---- The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom ----- 3D7.25 ---- Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 ----- 2D8.15 ---- The Expendables 3 ----- 2D8.22 ---- How to Train your Dragons 2 ----- 3D8.xx ----- Jupiter Ascending ---- 3D/IMAX8.xx ----- Guardians of the Galaxy ---- 3D/IMAXFanbingbing and Johnnie To (Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2) will battle for the Chinese Valentine Day slot, which falls on 8.2 this year.Apes and Turtles however seem will go to September. Then 2014 is pretty much over for Hollywood big movies. Interstellar wont be released this year. June has the strongest line up of all months. It's a critical month for the whole year. 28B probably wont happen if June doesnot hit 3B. TF4 has little competition within 20 days after OD. But it does have a sea of powerful competitors pre-release. Plus the Deng Chao-Yang Mi ROM-COM The Breakup Guru is not to be underestimated.April was flat with last year, causing the first four months of 2014 (8.52B) just running 23.2% ahead of 2013. First half of May is even behind 2013 ....Without Interstellar, all hope relys on Godzilla, TF4 and Bullets. Rest are all fillers, even The Crossing 1/2.

Is that a good date for how to train your dragon 2?

Dragon 2 date is not settled yet. Just that based on last year's experience (MU), 8.22 should be its date. So cant tell its good or bad yet.

if it settles for that date then a big gap b/w the domestic and this release..dreamworks is popular in china right.. i don't even know what they are doing

great numbers for DOFP if it reaches them. i wish it would do $100m

I second that...Spidey would have never thought it would lag behind Cap and X in China...where the former's previous installment was a non-starter and the latter's wasn't even released (First Class).