A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

It could be a swipe and still be authentic. Some of the early promotional art for Donnie Yen's upcoming Monkey King movie was ripped off from some computer game. That said, the logos at the bottom don't correspond to what's known about the film so far -- there's no mention of Chinavision or Wanda (the two main producers) and I've seen nothing about Universal being involved -- so it's almost certainly a fanmade fake. But there's no question that they're making a new Police Story. They've been kicking it around for awhile, and Jackie said on his blog last week that it starts shooting on November 15th.

Edit: I shoulda just googled "Kung Fu Tube" -- that took me to this Japanese fansite, which has that very poster on their front page, along with stuff like The Expendables 3 and "The Jackiexpendables." They even have another Police Story 2013 poster with Maggie Cheung, which is wishful thinking to put it lightly.

Edited by Bob Violence

Yeah, that looked bad. But it'll do fine in China. Shame on the Chinese if it does.

Dont think so. It has no shark or tsunami. ;)

China always go over quota.

Not this time when they have to try everything to make local movies meet the 50% overal mark.

Edit: don't think they ever went over quota. the opposite, more likely.

Edited by firedeep

So if a film is bought by a Chinese distributor, it doesn't count towards the quota for foreign movies? Can you give me an example.. I'm still not 100% on this area.

You should really read the "quick journey" ...http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/678-china-bo-numbers-through-oct-7-on-pg-214/page__st__4380#entry489098
  • Like 1

firedeep, you posted this in IM3 thread. Can IM3 make 100M+ in China? What kind of benefits does co-production give?

http://www.deadline....ction-in-china/

Based on the trailer. I think it could have a great shot at that.

Being a co-production, it will defitely get a priority release date, one that right before the full May Labor Day holiday (5.1~5.3) and thus benefits from the holiday. Past Marvel movies all didnot make that holiday opening.

Being co-production, it will also get much more marketing and advertisings. Disney can also get more shares from its gross here. Etc.

IM3 $100m in China? I'd say $150m+ is looking good. The promotion is gonna be on TF3 and even Titanic level. Sci-fi, big effects, action, the goodwill frm TA (which did $91m here this year, biggest SH movie in CHina). With massive marketing, a great release date and support of local production company, boy this is gonna be huge.

Edited by vc2002