A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I thought TASM did pretty good considering it was going head to head with TDKR, which aimed for pretty much the exact same target audience. And wasn't The Expendables 2 released just a week after? I think TASM had slightly tougher competitions than what MOS has, maybe. Both did relatively well with their release dates IMO.

Monsters University has been officially dated for August 23rd, as opposed to the earlier 8/25 date. That means it opens on a Friday instead of a Sunday. It's still too close to the end of the summer holidays, but every day helps, I guess. Certainly it'll benefit from having a proper opening weekend.

Also, Tiny Times 2 is coming out on August 9th, not in December as everyone was expecting. Part 1 seems to be performing below expectations--they're crying all the way to the bank, of course--so perhaps they decided the December competition would be too tough. It'll still have some competition, since August 9th is around the time of the Qixi holiday and some other hyped local films will be coming out then (I'm already sick to death of the ads for Palace).

Edited by Bob Violence

Le Vision are rushing onTiny Times 2. Sequel coming right the next month, even the final Twilight movie waited for one full year, Taichi 2 did that last year and dropped from the first one. So I think TT2 gross will inevitably drop from TT too.

Competition is one thing to worry in December, but they probably also want to cook another meal while the pot is till hot. TT had serious critic crisis. They probably dont want to wait another five month to start another compaign all over again, and lose more fans.

Huayi's Mr Go, opening 7.18, will do great I think, maybe another Croods.

The Great Gatsby is likely to be released in August.

Edited by firedeep

Le Vision are rushing onTiny Times 2. Sequel coming right the next month, even the final Twilight movie waited for one full year, Taichi 2 did that last year and dropped from the first one. So I think TT2 gross will inevitably drop from TT too.

Competition is one thing to worry in December, but they probably also want to cook another meal while the pot is till hot. TT had serious critic crisis. They probably dont want to wait another five month to start another compaign all over again, and lose more fans.

Huayi's Mr Go, opening 7.18, will do great I think, maybe another Croods.

The Great Gatsby is likely to be released in August.

How do you think Jay Chou's new film The Rooftop will do?  What about After Earth?  I think its opening this weekend in China?

Also, is the Tiny Times 2 August 9th date confirmed?  That seems really soon considering the first film is still in theatres.

And what is Mr. Go?  A Chinese animated film?  How do you think it will do?

Edited by Ay72998